George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by the wicked child »

blackjack68 wrote:I just couldn't believe how Robb just stood there while...
Spoiler:
his baby and wife were being slaughtered. Was this to show how naive or unprepared for leadership he was? Or just for dramatic pause? Same with Lady Catelyn at the end. There's several seconds before she gets hers where she just stands there. Has she given up at that point and accepted the inevitable? I always thought she had more fight in her.
Spoiler:
I think that once Robb dies, she becomes "Stoneheart" before our eyes. There is basically no emotion left as she slits Frey's wife's throat. She has already lost everything.

One of the biggest changes in the show is that they made it an all out massacre (even more so than the book). In the book, there was at least a little fight back iirc. Also I seem to remember Grey Wind getting loose and dropping a few Freys before being subdued. They went for an all out assault on our emotions and it certainly worked... I slept quite uneasily Sunday night.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

On small issue...and HUGE spoiler for later on in the books, you are warned
Spoiler:
Catelyn's throat wasn't cut nearly bad enough to make her the mess she is when Thoros brings her back as Lady Stoneheart. But that's fine, I'd rather have her be presentable later like Beric and hopefully be a major character in Winds of Winter
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

DelPen wrote:On small issue...and HUGE spoiler for later on in the books, you are warned
Spoiler:
Catelyn's throat wasn't cut nearly bad enough to make her the mess she is when Thoros brings her back as Lady Stoneheart. But that's fine, I'd rather have her be presentable later like Beric and hopefully be a major character in Winds of Winter
Spoiler:
I think they are going easy on the mutilations (see: Tyrion keeping his nose) for monetary reasons. The more f'd up people get, the more special effects/makeup that are required every time those characters are on screen.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Regarding Caetlyn and the Red Wedding (also in regards to the recent convo in this thread)
Spoiler:
She also clawed her face into hamburger meat before having her throat slit in the books. Yeah....she had lost it.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

the wicked child wrote:
DelPen wrote:On small issue...and HUGE spoiler for later on in the books, you are warned
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I think they are going easy on the mutilations (see: Tyrion keeping his nose) for monetary reasons. The more f'd up people get, the more special effects/makeup that are required every time those characters are on screen.
Spoiler:
In Tyrion's case it really changes his character. In Cat's case they can just give her a nice red scar and some powder to make her paler but for a TV show it would make so much more sense to have her be able to clearly speak and be pretty much like Lord Beric.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

I don't understand why some people are so angry at this episode.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

What don't you understand about it? It seems pretty clear.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

I was a little disappointed in how it was portrayed, to be honest. I remember reading the book and thinking how powerful that scene was.
Spoiler:
The next scene I can't wait to see play out is Oberyn and the Mountain's fight. That was the most chilling passage of the book to read, for me anyway.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:I was a little disappointed in how it was portrayed, to be honest. I remember reading the book and thinking how powerful that scene was.
Spoiler:
The next scene I can't wait to see play out is Oberyn and the Mountain's fight. That was the most chilling passage of the book to read, for me anyway.
That scene made me the most frustrated out of everything I've read yet.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

After seeing how the Red Wedding was done I am VERY anxious to see:

MAJOR SPOILER
Spoiler:
The Royal Wedding. An evening where Joffrey and Tywin both die. The shouts of glory will reign from all GoT fans and they will feel at least a little redeemed.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Idoit40fans wrote:What don't you understand about it? It seems pretty clear.
It was in the books. It is a major plot line. People are angry that some of their favorite characters have been killed off. They are mad at HBO and the directors for doing this. But again, it is a major plot line in the world of Game of Thrones. I don't understand why people are angry and writing HBO and saying they are done with the show because characters were killed off again.

I guess I'll write James Cameron and tell him he ruined Titanic for me because the ship sank and killed people.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

PensFanInDC wrote:After seeing how the Red Wedding was done I am VERY anxious to see:

MAJOR SPOILER
Spoiler:
The Royal Wedding. An evening where Joffrey and Tywin both die. The shouts of glory will reign from all GoT fans and they will feel at least a little redeemed.
More Major Spoilers from the rest of Storm of Swords...
Spoiler:
Tywin doesn't die until much later after the trial. I would expect that to be near the end of next season as there is still plenty of stuff to get through before the end of Strom of swords like:
The entire trial of Tyrion and Shae's betrayal
Red Viper coming to Kings Landing and the trial by combat with the Mountain
Arya and the hound traveling a bit more and then Arya eventually using the coin from Joquin to get to Bravos
Catelyn being revealed as Lady Stoneheart
Jaime and Brienne getting back to Kingslanding
Littlefinger getting Sansa to the Eyrie and marrying Lysa and then taking full control
The wildling assault on the wall
Sam and gillie meeting up with Bran and Coldhands
Stanis coming north to battle the others
Jon becoming lord commander of the watch
the sacking of mereen and Mormont's betrayal

And THEN we can kill off Tywin. So much left to go over in Storm of Swords

Guessing we just see the news of Balon Grayjoy dying, news of the Red Wedding and Joffrey choking to death as the final scene next week.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

newarenanow wrote:
It was in the books. It is a major plot line. People are angry that some of their favorite characters have been killed off. They are mad at HBO and the directors for doing this. But again, it is a major plot line in the world of Game of Thrones. I don't understand why people are angry and writing HBO and saying they are done with the show because characters were killed off again.

I guess I'll write James Cameron and tell him he ruined Titanic for me because the ship sank and killed people.

Dude, spoiler tag 8-)
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/06/04/miche ... ley-suits/
Spoiler:
Wonder how that effects things moving forward.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

newarenanow wrote:I don't understand why some people are so angry at this episode.
Neither do I, but for different reasons. I guess I don't care enough to really be angry.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

newarenanow wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I don't see this anger directed at HBO or directors. Maybe i'm looking in the wrong places, but what I see is that people are mad that major characters are getting killed and the anger pretty much ends there.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Dickie Dunn wrote:http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/06/04/miche ... ley-suits/
Spoiler:
Wonder how that effects things moving forward.
Spoiler:
Not too much, they can go a couple ways with Lady Stoneheart and she barely makes any appearances for a long time in the books, really has maybe two scenes from here through Dance of Dragons.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Spoiler:
Since I read all the spoilers anyway I thought I might as well read up on Wiki what happens next with Catelyn. Har de har har.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Am I alone thinking Game of Thrones will run out of material maybe before Winds of Winter is released and most certainly before the last book is released?
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Idoit40fans wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I don't see this anger directed at HBO or directors. Maybe i'm looking in the wrong places, but what I see is that people are mad that major characters are getting killed and the anger pretty much ends there.
I read at a couple of sites where people are pissed at HBO and swearing off the show saying HBO is ruining the series. I don't understand that part of it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Thats hilarious. It would be even better if the complaints got them to bring Robb back.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Bobby Ewing style. "Boy, what a terrible dream... hey wait, I did marry that ugly daughter of his?!"
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Maisie Williams' (Arya Stark) reaction to the latest episode:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:lol:
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

HA! That's awesome!
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

DelPen wrote:Am I alone thinking Game of Thrones will run out of material maybe before Winds of Winter is released and most certainly before the last book is released?
Not at all... I commented on it recently... I think they only have material for 2-3 more seasons depending on how much they condense books 4 and 5. And let's be honest... A lot of those books aren't making it into the show.