Closing the book on 06-07....

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
edog

Closing the book on 06-07....

Post by edog »

My year-end rant.....grade for the entire team....

Centers:
1) Erik Christensen: C+. Highly effective on shootouts, good wrist shoot. Disappeared during playoffs.
2) Sidney Crosby: A+. Art Ross winner & probable Hart Trophy winner. Enough said
3) Evgeni Malkin: D+. Will win Calder, but did not come close to realizing full potential. Wasted year in RBL, called out by MT on numerous occasions. Needs to address attitude towards pro hockey & add upper body strength
4) Jordan Staal: A+. Set rookie record for SHG & put in Selke candidate season. Surprisingly made team out of Junior & had solid playoff.
5) Max Talbot: A+. Gritty 3rd/4th line center who gave solid efforts night in, night out.
6) Chris Thorburn: Not enough data to grade, though in limited performances, provided solid gritty play in the corners

Right Wings:
1) Colby Armstrong: B. Not a great year statistically, but made huge hits & elevated play in postseason.
2) Ryan Malone: D-. Aside from work on the PK, looked lost on the ice.
3) Michel Ouellet: C+. Slow starter, but picked up play down the stretch.
4) Ronald Petrovicky: B. Was healthy scratch many game nights, but played inspired gritty style when in. Had outstanding Game 4 in playoffs.
5) Mark Recchi: B. Had solid regular season with 24 goals, but no-show during playoffs.

Left Wings:
1) Nils Ekman: F. Was supposed to compliment Crosby on wing, played soft all season when healthy
2) Georges Laraque: D. Did not fill role assigned adequately after trade.
3) Gary Roberts: A+ Consummate warrior on the ice. Mentored Jordan Staal
4) Jarkko Ruutu: B+. Another solid, gritty 3rd/4th line player

Defensemen:
1) Eric Cairns: Was hurt almost all season.
2) Mark Eaton: C. Blocked shoots reasonably well, but never played physical style on defense
3) Sergei Gonchar: B. Solid regular season, horrible playoff
4) Joel Kwiatkowski: Not enough data to grade
5) Josef Melichar: F Terrible positioning & atrocious play in own zone
6) Alain Nasreddine: D-. Would be an “Fâ€￾ on any other team, but he probably was the best of a sorry bunch
7) Brooks Orpik: D-. Solid hitter, but ran around in own zone.
8) Rob Scuderi: F. see Melichar
9) Ryan Whitney: F. Terrible positioning & atrocious play in own zone. Offensively minded, but had only one play on the PP unit. Looked timid on the point.

Goalies
1) Marc-Andre Fleury: A+. Came off questionable year last year & put together 40 win season. Lived up to expectations for a former #1 overall pick
2) Jocelyn Thibault B. Solid backup netminder

Coaching: B+. A+ in regular season will merit MT Jack Adams consideration. Looked lost in postseason & got out coached by Bryan Murray

Keep: Christensen, Crosby, Staal, Talbot, Thorburn, Armstrong, Ouellet, Petrovicky Laraque, Roberts, Ruutu, Orpik, Fleury, Thibault

Trade: Malkin, Malone, Eaton, Gonchar, Whitney

Release: Recchi, Ekman, Kwiatkowski, Melichar, Nasreddine, Scuderi

Needs in offseason (order of precedence):
1) shut-down defensemen.
2) wing for Sid/wing for 2nd line
3) face off guy
4) backup goalie (if Thibault leaves)
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

I didn't read most of the rankings after the Malkin one. You can't give Malkin a D+ or whatever....You got to spoiled with Crosby and his rookie year. 85 points for a first year second line player is at least a B+....playoffs he didn't perform well, but I can count the players who performed well in the playoffs on one hand.

Whitney grade is ridiculous too. Listen to any out of market announcer they all rave about him and his outlet passing. People it's his 2nd year..
edog

Post by edog »

KG wrote:I didn't read most of the rankings after the Malkin one. You can't give Malkin a D+ or whatever....You got to spoiled with Crosby and his rookie year. 85 points for a first year second line player is at least a B+....playoffs he didn't perform well, but I can count the players who performed well in the playoffs on one hand.

Whitney grade is ridiculous too. Listen to any out of market announcer they all rave about him and his outlet passing. People it's his 2nd year..
He didn't perform well past Christmas. In fact, he only showed consistency during his first 6 games.....hence, the D+ grade....
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

edog wrote:
KG wrote:I didn't read most of the rankings after the Malkin one. You can't give Malkin a D+ or whatever....You got to spoiled with Crosby and his rookie year. 85 points for a first year second line player is at least a B+....playoffs he didn't perform well, but I can count the players who performed well in the playoffs on one hand.

He didn't perform well past Christmas. In fact, he only showed consistency during his first 6 games.....hence, the D+ grade....
How can anyone take this serious. Whit could be up for the Norris this year and maybe also Gon. Malkin had 85 points and you give him a D+, did you ever see thornton play his rookie year what about vinny. Come on thats stupid.
edog

Post by edog »

Rex wrote:Only trade Malkin if the guy coming back is Dion Phanuef....
agreed....though I doubt Calgary will make the deal.....
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Closing the book on 06-07....

Post by bh »

edog wrote:My year-end rant.....grade for the entire team....
You are crazy
edog

Post by edog »

doublem wrote:
edog wrote:

How can anyone take this serious. Whit could be up for the Norris this year and maybe also Gon. Malkin had 85 points and you give him a D+, did you ever see thornton play his rookie year what about vinny. Come on thats stupid.
You think either Whitney or Gonchar is better than Lindstrom.... :lol:

Malkin has a whole other level he rarely went to this season....that's why I graded him the way I did....
Last edited by edog on Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by MarioLives »

Unfortunately I have to think you are not thinking clearly. Whitney and Malkin do not deserve those grades. I agree that Malkin's play has dropped off, but not to a D level.....he is a rookie
Skeletons of Quinto
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Skeletons of Quinto »

Centers:
1) Erik Christensen: C+. Highly effective on shootouts, good wrist shoot. Disappeared during playoffs.
2) Sidney Crosby: A+. Art Ross winner & probable Hart Trophy winner. Enough said
3) Evgeni Malkin: D+. Will win Calder, but did not come close to realizing full potential. Wasted year in RBL, called out by MT on numerous occasions. Needs to address attitude towards pro hockey & add upper body strength
4) Jordan Staal: A+. Set rookie record for SHG & put in Selke candidate season. Surprisingly made team out of Junior & had solid playoff.
5) Max Talbot: A+. Gritty 3rd/4th line center who gave solid efforts night in, night out.
6) Chris Thorburn: Not enough data to grade, though in limited performances, provided solid gritty play in the corners

Right Wings:
1) Colby Armstrong: B. Not a great year statistically, but made huge hits & elevated play in postseason.
2) Ryan Malone: D-. Aside from work on the PK, looked lost on the ice.
3) Michel Ouellet: C+. Slow starter, but picked up play down the stretch.
4) Ronald Petrovicky: B. Was healthy scratch many game nights, but played inspired gritty style when in. Had outstanding Game 4 in playoffs.
5) Mark Recchi: B. Had solid regular season with 24 goals, but no-show during playoffs.

Left Wings:
1) Nils Ekman: F. Was supposed to compliment Crosby on wing, played soft all season when healthy
2) Georges Laraque: D. Did not fill role assigned adequately after trade.
3) Gary Roberts: A+ Consummate warrior on the ice. Mentored Jordan Staal
4) Jarkko Ruutu: B+. Another solid, gritty 3rd/4th line player

Defensemen:
1) Eric Cairns: Was hurt almost all season.
2) Mark Eaton: C. Blocked shoots reasonably well, but never played physical style on defense
3) Sergei Gonchar: B. Solid regular season, horrible playoff
4) Joel Kwiatkowski: Not enough data to grade
5) Josef Melichar: F Terrible positioning & atrocious play in own zone
6) Alain Nasreddine: D-. Would be an “Fâ€￾ on any other team, but he probably was the best of a sorry bunch
7) Brooks Orpik: D-. Solid hitter, but ran around in own zone.
8) Rob Scuderi: F. see Melichar
9) Ryan Whitney: F. Terrible positioning & atrocious play in own zone. Offensively minded, but had only one play on the PP unit. Looked timid on the point.

Goalies
1) Marc-Andre Fleury: A+. Came off questionable year last year & put together 40 win season. Lived up to expectations for a former #1 overall pick
2) Jocelyn Thibault B. Solid backup netminder

Coaching: B+. A+ in regular season will merit MT Jack Adams consideration. Looked lost in postseason & got out coached by Bryan Murray

Keep: Christensen, Crosby, Staal, Talbot, Thorburn, Armstrong, Ouellet, Petrovicky Laraque, Roberts, Ruutu, Orpik, Fleury, Thibault

Trade: Malkin, Malone, Eaton, Gonchar, Whitney

Release: Recchi, Ekman, Kwiatkowski, Melichar, Nasreddine, Scuderi

Needs in offseason (order of precedence):
1) shut-down defensemen.
2) wing for Sid/wing for 2nd line
3) face off guy
4) backup goalie (if Thibault leaves)

I never know what to make of these grades. Some of them seem like each player is being held to the standard that is expected from that particular player, while others seem to compare players against one another. That said, I'll make my comments assuming you meant the former, rather than the latter.

Malkin put up points at about the same rate after Christmas as he did before. He had a great rookie season. I give him an A- for the year. 85 points in a rookie campaign is pretty stellar.

Nasreddine did what was asked of him, and did it well: played as a 7th defenseman. He was second on the team in plus/minus, and was fairly solid in his own end. I'd give him a B+ for the year.

Fleury, in alot of ways, came into his own this season. But A+? Come on. He's nowhere near consistent enough to garner that grade. I give him a B+. Did well in the playoffs and established himself as the number one keeper. However, his inconsistency in the regular season shows that he's still got a way to go until he's the top tier goalie we all expect him to be.

Mark Eaton: B+. By far the most sound DEFENSEman the pens had this year. In a season plagued by injuries, Eaton did well. I'd love to have him back for another season, especially after a summer of recuperating from his nagging injuries.

Ryan Whitney: A. Sorry he's progressed so much this season and is becoming what management has expected: a puck rushing offensive defenseman with good instincts who plays decently in his own zone. Whitney did go through some rough spots defensively, but honestly, I expected that. He's still trying to learn his defensive games. But an F? Come on, there were alot of nights where Whitney was THE BEST defensive defenseman. He's coming along fine, and I look for him to have an awesome season in 07-08.

Brooks Orpik: D-? I say B. Far less "running around" this season, and about 90% less stupid penalties. This was a crucial season for him, and I think he performed admirably. He's improved vastly on his passing, and is now making hits that matter.

Based on some of your grades, I have no idea how this team could have made the playoffs. The vast majority of Pens had great seasons, so don't let the dismal playoff showing take that away.
eastonpensfan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by eastonpensfan »

Centers:
OK, so according to you, Crosby=Staal=Talbot????

and Christensen is better than Malkin???

Um, you sir need to step away from the keyboard.
edog

Post by edog »

Skeletons of Quinto wrote:
Malkin put up points at about the same rate after Christmas as he did before. He had a great rookie season. I give him an A- for the year. 85 points in a rookie campaign is pretty stellar.

A lot of his points were with Sid. And the amount of tongue lashings he received it the press from MT confirm the inconsistency....

Nasreddine did what was asked of him, and did it well: played as a 7th defenseman. He was second on the team in plus/minus, and was fairly solid in his own end. I'd give him a B+ for the year.

he's a career minor leaguer for a reason....

Fleury, in alot of ways, came into his own this season. But A+? Come on. He's nowhere near consistent enough to garner that grade. I give him a B+. Did well in the playoffs and established himself as the number one keeper. However, his inconsistency in the regular season shows that he's still got a way to go until he's the top tier goalie we all expect him to be.

Based upon the garbage in front of him, he is tied with Sid for co-MVP....there was talk during training camp of him being demoted to WBS....he responded with a 40 win season....

Mark Eaton: B+. By far the most sound DEFENSEman the pens had this year. In a season plagued by injuries, Eaton did well. I'd love to have him back for another season, especially after a summer of recuperating from his nagging injuries.

Not physical at all. Ask him how many slap shots he blocked....

Ryan Whitney: A. Sorry he's progressed so much this season and is becoming what management has expected: a puck rushing offensive defenseman with good instincts who plays decently in his own zone. Whitney did go through some rough spots defensively, but honestly, I expected that. He's still trying to learn his defensive games. But an F? Come on, there were alot of nights where Whitney was THE BEST defensive defenseman. He's coming along fine, and I look for him to have an awesome season in 07-08.

what puck rushing skills? Gonchar or one of the forwards brought the puck up a majority of the time. He played poorly in his own end & consistently coughed up the puck. No physical play whatsoever....

Brooks Orpik: D-? I say B. Far less "running around" this season, and about 90% less stupid penalties. This was a crucial season for him, and I think he performed admirably. He's improved vastly on his passing, and is now making hits that matter.

His positioning was off a lot & he went for the big hit rather than the smart play. Kind of like a younger version of Kasparaitus....

Based on some of your grades, I have no idea how this team could have made the playoffs. The vast majority of Pens had great seasons, so don't let the dismal playoff showing take that away.

I'm not, but let's be realistic here. They were bad 5 on 5, got 16 points from a horrible Flyers team, & had a to of OT points. They overachieved, but let's put this in the proper perspective. It was a fun year, but the playoffs exposed the holes in a big way....
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

I think you graded R Whitney for just post season
but gonchar for all season....
Ryan Whitney an F... :roll: good lord
edog

Post by edog »

eastonpensfan wrote:

Centers:
OK, so according to you, Crosby=Staal=Talbot????

Sid improved from last year...

Staal surprised everyone & made the team

Talbot was fantastic all season long as a 3rd/4th liner. I graded them according to their expectations & where they played on the team....

and Christensen is better than Malkin???

Skill wise? No. But I had less expections for Christensen then I did Malkin.
ams
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ams »

I seem to remember Eaton blocking a slap shot as recently as last night.

Not every defenseman is overwhelmingly physical, and if you can't recognize that Eaton was the team's most solid defenseman until he got hurt, we may have been watching different teams.
edog

Post by edog »

penny lane wrote:I think you graded R Whitney for just post season
my grades constituted both regular season & postseason....
Skeletons of Quinto
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Skeletons of Quinto »

edog wrote:
Skeletons of Quinto wrote:

A lot of his points were with Sid. And the amount of tongue lashings he received it the press from MT confirm the inconsistency....

he's a career minor leaguer for a reason....

Based upon the garbage in front of him, he is tied with Sid for co-MVP....there was talk during training camp of him being demoted to WBS....he responded with a 40 win season....

Not physical at all. Ask him how many slap shots he blocked....

what puck rushing skills? Gonchar or one of the forwards brought the puck up a majority of the time. He played poorly in his own end & consistently coughed up the puck. No physical play whatsoever....

His positioning was off a lot & he went for the big hit rather than the smart play. Kind of like a younger version of Kasparaitus....

I'm not, but let's be realistic here. They were bad 5 on 5, got 16 points from a horrible Flyers team, & had a to of OT points. They overachieved, but let's put this in the proper perspective. It was a fun year, but the playoffs exposed the holes in a big way....

Malkin scored 85 points as a Rookie. He is the front runner for the Calder, all while playing a style of hockey that he had never played, and for longer than he had ever played.

Nasreddine was a fine 7th Defenseman. He performed admirably. I don't care if he was in the minors before this year.

The rap on Eaton isn't physicality. It's his sound positioning and defensive awareness. I'd be glad to have him back next year.

I'm not even going to bother continuing. You really have an axe to grind with Whitney. It's kind of sad.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

edog wrote:
penny lane wrote:I think you graded R Whitney for just post season
my grades constituted both regular season & postseason....
Nuff said! Happy Jesus!
edog

Post by edog »

ams wrote:I seem to remember Eaton blocking a slap shot as recently as last night.

Not every defenseman is overwhelmingly physical, and if you can't recognize that Eaton was the team's most solid defenseman until he got hurt, we may have been watching different teams.
That should tell you about the state of the defense then....
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Henry Hank »

This is a bait thread plain and simple. edog is a troll and nobody should take him seriously.
edog

Post by edog »

Skeletons of Quinto wrote: Malkin scored 85 points as a Rookie. He is the front runner for the Calder, all while playing a style of hockey that he had never played, and for longer than he had ever played.

He's the front runner for the Calder because he cherrypicked the year to come over....let me ask you something, does he win the Calder if he went up against Sid & Ovechkin last year?

Nasreddine was a fine 7th Defenseman. He performed admirably. I don't care if he was in the minors before this year.

If he was so fine, how come he couldn't crack the lineup for the playoffs?

The rap on Eaton isn't physicality. It's his sound positioning and defensive awareness. I'd be glad to have him back next year.

We probably will have him back. He's okay as a 4th or 5th defensemen, but right now, we have him pegged him #2. That's not where he needs to be.....

I'm not even going to bother continuing. You really have an axe to grind with Whitney. It's kind of sad.

Based upon his play & regression, yes I do..in case you didn't notice, he cost us Game 4 when he pussed out against Comrie behind the net....
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

Henry Hank wrote:This is a bait thread plain and simple. edog is a troll and nobody should take him seriously.
A+
edog

Post by edog »

Henry Hank wrote:This is a bait thread plain and simple. edog is a troll and nobody should take him seriously.
Aside from Mad City Mike, I noticed no one else bothered to put together a grade for the team....I just merely broke mine down by player....
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by wallflower »

Does it count as "taking the bait" if I go into his threads just so I can have a good laugh?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

D+ for a calder winner...yeesh...thats where i stopped.

i got hooked by the troll....BAH!!!!!