Terrie the smoker

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Terrie the smoker

Post by meecrofilm »

I find it annoying and mute it everytime it's on.

Much like the discover card commercial with the two black ladies.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Smoke up, Johnny!
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Kaizer »

meecrofilm wrote:I find it annoying and mute it everytime it's on.

Much like the discover card commercial with the two black ladies.
if that ***** says "machines" one more time i'll find her and cut off her head.
She'sTheFastest
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by She'sTheFastest »

Smoking is much like gay marriage. It doesn't bother me. Just don't shove it in my face. "What Butters, you're gay?! Dude I don't care."
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by npv708 »

Never smoked, never will. Both my grandparents smoked and being around that when I was young was more than enough for it to be something I never had any desire to do.

I remember I was in like 8th/9th grade at FunFest (whatever it was named prior, I can't recall currently)...anyways, I was there with my gf at the time with a group and the one girl handed me her cig to hold while she bowled...I put it out. I was such an awesome buzzkill.

For me it comes down to a few things:
- I have enough health problems, I don't need to even risk anything more
- I don't have enough money and really could never justify the expense
- I really have trouble seeing any tangible benefits to smoking.
- I definitely do not enjoy the smell or general disregard it seems some smokers have for non-smokers.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

I started smoking in the 60's in the military. They actually gave me cigarettes in my field rations. They were a quarter a pack in a machine and they gave you back 3 pennys in the side of the pack. Carton of cigs was $2. Everybody smoked and were allowed to smoke everywhere. I also really enjoyed smoking. Things have really changed for the best. They got way to expensive and I quit about 15 years ago.

I also worked in a steel mill for 24 years, so between that and smoking I got COPD. Could be worse, but to me, that commercial is just stupid. You can get lung cancer and never had a smoke in your life.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Getting To My Game »

As a smoker, commercials like this will never get me to stop smoking. It's pointless, the government acts like smokers are unaware of the risks of cigarettes.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

She'sTheFastest wrote:Smoking is much like gay marriage. It doesn't bother me. Just don't shove it in my face. "What Butters, you're gay?! Dude I don't care."
Smokers are generally awesome people. I have met some of my closest friends sharing a cigarette or bumming a lighter. I don't think I've ever ran into a smoker who goes out of his way to blow smoke in people's faces are tries to convert others to the cult of nicotine. On the other hand, you'll have many blowhard non-smokers who go by one of the 3 designated smoking areas in this country and give an exagerrated cough from like 50 feet away. Those people can go to hell.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I think I am more confused as to why they are so aggressively slamming this commercial down our throats during the NHL playoffs? I have not noticed it once on any other channel or during any other show. Are hockey fans a big smoking demographic or something?
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by CERV96 »

I always thought more hockey players chewed than smoked. That's just the way it seemed on 24/7.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

CERV96 wrote:I always thought more hockey players chewed than smoked. That's just the way it seemed on 24/7.
That's definitely the case, and the same with many professional athletes because it doesn't impact lung performance. It's just weird that they are running this commercial during NHL hockey with the same determination that insulin pump manufacturers advertise during Price is Right.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Hey guys remember, click it or ticket. Heh heh heh. Such a good use of tax dollars.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Getting To My Game wrote:Smokers are generally awesome people.
Getting To My Game wrote: On the other hand, you'll have many blowhard non-smokers who go by one of the 3 designated smoking areas in this country and give an exagerrated cough from like 50 feet away. Those people can go to hell.
if you say so
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

shmenguin wrote:
Getting To My Game wrote: On the other hand, you'll have many blowhard non-smokers who go by one of the 3 designated smoking areas in this country and give an exagerrated cough from like 50 feet away. Those people can go to hell.
if you say so
Am I missing something? Non-smoking zealots who try to prevent smokers from enjoying something legal in peace suck. I don't go up to smoke 300 pound dude in McDonald's and chastise him for shoving a Big Mac down his gullet because it increases the healthcare burden on all of us.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

just pointing out the irony of someone saying smokers are awesome people and then the same presumably awesome person quickly tells a group of people to go to hell.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

shmenguin wrote:just pointing out the irony of someone saying smokers are awesome people and then the same presumably awesome person quickly tells a group of people to go to hell.
Because people who don't mind their own business and try to make a statement about an entire group of people when they're doing something legal and non-bothersome are pretentious jackasses.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Getting To My Game wrote:
shmenguin wrote:just pointing out the irony of someone saying smokers are awesome people and then the same presumably awesome person quickly tells a group of people to go to hell.
Because people who don't mind their own business and try to make a statement about an entire group of people when they're doing something legal and non-bothersome are pretentious jackasses.
Or you have the self-righteous jerks who think society owes them a place to smoke and will make every point to say how society has screwed them over and taken away their rights. There's nothing more disgusting than trying to eat a meal and having some inconsiderate smoker not just light up, but move their cigarette away because they don't like the smell. Oh the **** irony.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

[youtube][/youtube]
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

JS© wrote:
Or you have the self-righteous jerks who think society owes them a place to smoke and will make every point to say how society has screwed them over and taken away their rights. There's nothing more disgusting than trying to eat a meal and having some inconsiderate smoker not just light up, but move their cigarette away because they don't like the smell. Oh the **** irony.
Don't eat at places where smoking is allowed, get over it.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

Are you even allowed to smoke in a place that serves food anymore? I can't remember the last time I've been somewhere with a smoking section.

Although I do find it annoying when the smoking section is near an entrance so I have to walk through a cloud of smoke to get into a place I'm going.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I was in a restaurant last week with a smoking section....

The gov. mandated bans are BS: if a business loses customers because of smoking, that should be their choice.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

columbia wrote:I was in a restaurant last week with a smoking section....

The gov. mandated bans are BS: if a business loses customers because of smoking, that should be their choice.
:thumb: :thumb:
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

JS© wrote:
Oh I'm sorry, next time I have somebody holding their **** stink stick in my face, should I say "Sir/Ma'am, please, hold that thing closer to my nose."

Get over yourself. Seriously.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Crankshaft wrote:Are you even allowed to smoke in a place that serves food anymore? I can't remember the last time I've been somewhere with a smoking section.

Although I do find it annoying when the smoking section is near an entrance so I have to walk through a cloud of smoke to get into a place I'm going.
The state recommends a 20 feet distance from the smoking area to the entrance....if possible.
http://foodexpo.parestaurant.org/displa ... clenbr=101" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are a number of places back home that still have it. I can think of two places right now and I could probably dig up another dozen or so if needed. What sucks is even with this Act in place that the owner(s) can apply for an exception.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

JS© wrote:
JS© wrote:
Oh I'm sorry, next time I have somebody holding their **** stink stick in my face, should I say "Sir/Ma'am, please, hold that thing closer to my nose."

Get over yourself. Seriously.
Dramatic much? How many friggin' times do smokers intentionally blow smoke in other people's faces to just be an ass? Almost never. It's a free country and we're adults allowed to have a cigarette if we want.