Live Conn Smythe Trophy Tracker

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Live Conn Smythe Trophy Tracker

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Idoit40fans wrote:Its probably a better conversation to start after the Conference finals start, just because you can fairly eliminate everyone that was...eliminated. Though what if there was a team that had a goalie with 7 shutouts and a gaa of 0.50 after 2 rounds, but was eliminated. Do they get consideration for the conn smythe?
I don't know how something like that could be possible unless he got hurt and couldn't play in the games that they lost. I guess he could face tons of shots and lose games by scores of 2-1 or 1-0.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Idoit40fans wrote:Its probably a better conversation to start after the Conference finals start, just because you can fairly eliminate everyone that was...eliminated. Though what if there was a team that had a goalie with 7 shutouts and a gaa of 0.50 after 2 rounds, but was eliminated. Do they get consideration for the conn smythe?
I wouldn't give them consideration, no. I can see considering a person that was on the losing end of the SCF, but not someone that got eliminated in round 2.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:
I don't know how something like that could be possible unless he got hurt and couldn't play in the games that they lost. I guess he could face tons of shots and lose games by scores of 2-1 or 1-0.
shots against don't affect gaa. My scenario simply means he won 7 games via shutout and lost 7 games giving up only one goal...and also never went to the bench for a delayed penalty.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Re: the goalie. He'd make my list for a while sure. But he'd never ever get consideration for the Conn Smythe.

I don't recall Marian Gaborik being considered for the Conn Smythe at all in 2003 despite finishing one point behind the league leader in points that playoffs even though Minnesota didn't win a game past the second round. That's one of the more underrated performances in recent times, but it wasn't even considerable for a Conn Smythe. We'll never ever see a non-Finalist even get remote consideration for the award and there is no reports in history that I've read that suggest it was ever close for a non-Finalist.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

Idoit40fans wrote:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:
shots against don't affect gaa.
Fleury saved .916 of his shots/against in regular season.

Fleury faces 1000 shots over 50 games, an average of 20 per game. 84 GA over 50 games = 1.68 GAA.

Fluery faces 1500 shots over 50 games, an average of 30 per game. 126 GA over 50 games = 2.52 GAA.

Shots against most assuredly impacts GAA.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

mikey, how do you reconcile your list with your theory that goalie is the least important position in today's game? :wink:
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Gaucho wrote:mikey, how do you reconcile your list with your theory that goalie is the least important position in today's game? :wink:
:lol: Very good, Gaucho. In the grand scheme of things, it does seem to be the least important today. However, having a hugely positive impact on the team in a smaller sample (like the Stanley Cup playoffs) is worth noting. And I have.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Another update.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

There he is: Paul Martin! :o
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

Fair to assume that your next update will not include a goaltender that has been yanked twice...

I also think that Sid has to begin to emerge as a front-runner. He's been dominant in this series.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Sid has to be at least on the radar.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

count2infinity wrote:Sid has to be at least on the radar.
T-1st in goals, T-2nd in points... definitely on the radar.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Pitt87 wrote:Fair to assume that your next update will not include a goaltender that has been yanked twice...

I also think that Sid has to begin to emerge as a front-runner. He's been dominant in this series.
Yup and yes.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Dupuis has to be just outside the top 5. Tied for lead in goals (none on the PP, 2 SHG). Almost 30:00 of SHTOI and only one PPG given up while he's on the ice. Physical presence, averaging 3 hits per game.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Also on my radar, has been since round 1...just not quite on the big board. Good call.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Kraftster wrote:Dupuis has to be just outside the top 5. Tied for lead in goals (none on the PP, 2 SHG). Almost 30:00 of SHTOI and only one PPG given up while he's on the ice. Physical presence, averaging 3 hits per game.
been on the ice for more SHGF than PPGA? That's insane, even more so for a regular on the PK.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

relantel wrote:
Kraftster wrote:Dupuis has to be just outside the top 5. Tied for lead in goals (none on the PP, 2 SHG). Almost 30:00 of SHTOI and only one PPG given up while he's on the ice. Physical presence, averaging 3 hits per game.
been on the ice for more SHGF than PPGA? That's insane, even more so for a regular on the PK.
Any time you are among two Penguins to do something, and the other one is Mario Lemieux, you're doing it right.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Slightly off topic, but since this is your thread mikey...

Is this the season Crosby eclipses Jagr on your all-time list? I thought of it when NBC posted the stat about Sid becoming the fastest active player to reach 40 playoff goals, 9 fewer than Jagr.

Would would it take? Leading the way to another Stanley Cup? A Conn Smythe? Neither of which JJ has come close to...

Jagr's been consistently a PPG player in the playoffs, even as he's aged. Sid is at 1.3, and even if he drops off as he ages, he'll still likely outproduce Jagr in the playoffs. He's half way there right now.

Of course, all of this applies to Malkin as well, who is only slightly behind Sid's scoring pace. But he's got the Conn Smythe that Sid and Jagr don't.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

pcm wrote:Slightly off topic, but since this is your thread mikey...

Is this the season Crosby eclipses Jagr on your all-time list? I thought of it when NBC posted the stat about Sid becoming the fastest active player to reach 40 playoff goals, 9 fewer than Jagr.

Would would it take? Leading the way to another Stanley Cup? A Conn Smythe? Neither of which JJ has come close to...

Jagr's been consistently a PPG player in the playoffs, even as he's aged. Sid is at 1.3, and even if he drops off as he ages, he'll still likely outproduce Jagr in the playoffs. He's half way there right now.

Of course, all of this applies to Malkin as well, who is only slightly behind Sid's scoring pace. But he's got the Conn Smythe that Sid and Jagr don't.
Just as a Pen over 1.000 PPG ...
1.607 Lemieux (107 games)
1.350 Crosby (77 games)
1.310 Recchi (29 games)
1.300 Hossa (20 games)
1.217 Malkin (78 games)
1.200 Iginla (10 games)
1.130 Coffey (23 games)
1.088 Tocchet (34 games)
1.050 Jagr (140 games)
1.030 Francis (103 games)
1.029 Stevens (97 games)

At 1.000 were Nedved (23 games), Sullivan (6 games) and Barry Wilkins (1 game) for completeness' sake.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

pcm wrote:Slightly off topic, but since this is your thread mikey...

All time Penguins list or all-time hockey history list? He's pretty clearly behind Jagr at this point. There's no one answer to this, Crosby is just well behind him at this point. It's a little closer if you just focus on Penguins accomplishments of course, but still it's a sizable gap from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 in my opinion.

Let's come back to this after Crosby's season concludes. A Hart Trophy and a Conn Smythe would really narrow the gap quick...that's for sure.

For further context, there is a small profile I made for Jagr here.

To my knowledge, a profile doesn't exist yet for Crosby but it's something I (or anyone) could put together in short order.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by JoseCuervo »

mikey287 wrote:Let's come back to this after Crosby's season concludes. A Hart Trophy and a Conn Smythe would really narrow the gap quick...that's for sure.
Not comparing Jagr to Crosby, but in general, do you find it odd that you base a lot of generational comparisons on trophy votes and at the same time complain about the trophy voting process?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

JoseCuervo wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Let's come back to this after Crosby's season concludes. A Hart Trophy and a Conn Smythe would really narrow the gap quick...that's for sure.
Not comparing Jagr to Crosby, but in general, do you find it odd that you base a lot of generational comparisons on trophy votes and at the same time complain about the trophy voting process?
Yes, I do find that odd. But I "give credit where credit is due" so to speak. The individual winners aren't so much the important thing today, it's the general acknowledgement of accomplishment that I value. If I asked you, someone who follows the league quite well in my opinion, who were the 10 best skaters in the league this year? And then I wrote down mine on a napkin and slid it across the table to you, I think it'd be pretty similar...ya know?

Like the Conn Smythe in 2006 for instance. I effectively count that for Rod Brind'Amour with respect to Ward (who was no slouch either). I try my very best to contextualize everything in this type of situation.

Crosby is going to get a bushel of credit for this season, just like Jagr got/gets in/for 2000 (when he also missed a quarter of the year and Pronger swiped the Hart). Context is everything.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Welcome Jimmy Howard.

Approx. goalie season vs. Blackhawks: 12-25-11 3.23 GAA, .896 save pct., 0 SO
Jimmy Howard in the semifinals vs. Blackhawks: 3-1, 1.26 GAA, .961 save pct. 1 SO
Last edited by mikey287 on Fri May 24, 2013 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Chara was brutal last night.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

relantel wrote:Chara was brutal last night.
Yeah, he didn't do so hot. That's why that gap narrowed between him and Martin. It was a fairly wide chasm before.