Terrie the smoker

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Terrie the smoker

Post by CERV96 »

I have decided to put this here instead on NHR due to the fact that I know most of the people who frequent this section know what I am talking about. Is anyone else out there tired of these adds? I honestly don't think it is going to stop someone from having another cigarette. If anything she is so disgusting it may want me to start smoking.
Spoiler:
Last edited by CERV96 on Thu May 16, 2013 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Terrie the smoker

Post by Beveridge »

I can't speak for people who do smoke, but as someone who has never even tried it, this commercial was enough to make me never want too.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

NHR. :pop:

It wouldn't dissuade any of the smokers I know from smoking. I could see it preventing someone from starting though.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

every smoker already knows about lung cancer and the death that typically results from it. if you're already aware of the worst fate possible, i don't see how showing a series of lesser fates would be particularly meaningful.

so basically, i wish these commercials would go away.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

Those commercials are horrid and I really doubt they are going to stop anyone who really wants to smoke from doing it. They remind me of a lot of driver education films from the 70's and 80's of mangled bodies and cars from teens having car wrecks. I just don't think much of either as a deterrent.
Last edited by brwi on Thu May 16, 2013 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

brwi wrote:Those commercials are horrid and I really doubt they are going to stop anyone who really wants to smoke from doing it. They remind me of a lot of driver education films from the 70's and 80's of mangled bodies and carfrom teens having car wrecks. I just don't think much of either as a deterrent.
"Hey wha..."

This is the text Billy Smith was sending when he wrecked his car...
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by CERV96 »

I saw someone post the following on twitter: I would pay for a 24 hour live camera feed of Terrie the smoker in hopes of seeing her try to eat a bowl of soup.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

You know Nascar fans have a sterotype, maybe advertisers think the average hockey fans all have ear wax build up, disgusting dirty dry feet, and skin tags to go along with the hole in their neck
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Meh. If the ad prevents one person from starting to smoke, it's worth it to have a bunch of people midly irritated for a couple times a night. The ad annoys me too, but the smell of smoke and the increased healthcare costs because of all the morons who smoke annoys me more. I can easily ignore it by briefly changing the channel or looking away.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I think i'm going to start smoking one cigarette per time that I see the commercial.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Teenagers start smoking because they're rebelling against the establishment. The more you demonize something, the more attractive you make it to that market segment.
jwest21
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jwest21 »

My 8 year old walked in when this commercial was on and she was appropriately horrified. Maybe she won't remember it when peer pressure sets in....but maybe she does.

Can I just say that me being the serious one feels wrong on so many levels.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

pcm wrote:Teenagers start smoking because they're rebelling against the establishment. The more you demonize something, the more attractive you make it to that market segment.
Anti-smoking campaigns have really started in the last 20 years or so. Data from that range shows that smoking among teens is down significantly compared to before that period. http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6131a1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From the article
The findings in this report indicate that from 2000 to 2011, significant declines occurred in the use of current tobacco, combustible tobacco, and cigarettes among middle and high school students, suggesting that tobacco control policies and programs have an impact on tobacco use among U.S. youths (2). The rate of decline in youth cigarette smoking was slower during this period compared with 1997–2003, which followed years of increase in the prevalence of youth cigarette use during the 1990s (2).
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

jwest21 wrote:My 8 year old walked in when this commercial was on and she was appropriately horrified. Maybe she won't remember it when peer pressure sets in....but maybe she does.

Aren't smokers ostracized enough that that is gone. I was never once pressured to smoke a cigarette growing up.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Smoking is down significantly for all ages. I don't think that has much to do with anti-smoking campaigns, but rather the general awareness that comes from seeing all these people around you who thought they were cool dry out, shrivel up, and kak.

The effectiveness of "moral advertising" (don't do drugs, don't smoke, etc) is pretty suspect, especially delivered via TV. I mean, who really believes what the TV (or internet or radio) tells them?
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

pcm wrote:Teenagers start smoking because they're rebelling against the establishment. The more you demonize something, the more attractive you make it to that market segment.
Yes, your point is a good one, pcm. Teenagers have been fighting authority since the beginning of time.

I also think there's a difference between demonizing something by simply calling it "bad" a million times and fostering a stark realization of what can happen to you through a real-life illustration. Teenagers probably don't think it could ever happen to them, and if they smoke, then they'll quit later when they're tired of it. The Terrie ad where they contrast her looking young and gorgeous with her reality today addresses that. I don't have a problem with the ads, tbh, and I think Terrie is courageous for putting herself out there.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

I started smoking because I liked it and I quit because I didn't like it anymore. *shrug*
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

Idoit40fans wrote:
jwest21 wrote:My 8 year old walked in when this commercial was on and she was appropriately horrified. Maybe she won't remember it when peer pressure sets in....but maybe she does.

Aren't smokers ostracized enough that that is gone. I was never once pressured to smoke a cigarette growing up.
Me neither. When I was a teenager, I lost 4 beloved family members (all smokers) to emphysema, lung cancer, and other smoking-related causes. That was enough for me.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I'd rather see these days than anything to do with erectile dysfunction.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

Gaucho wrote:I started smoking because I liked it and I quit because I didn't like it anymore. *shrug*
I know many people who've had this same experience, and I'm glad for them that it was relatively easy.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

columbia wrote:I'd rather see these days than anything to do with erectile dysfunction.
Yes! :thumb:

And who has his-and-hers bathtubs side by side out in the middle of nowhere, with no hot water hookup, anyway?!
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

Gaucho wrote:I started smoking because I liked it and I quit because I didn't like it anymore. *shrug*
Yeah, me too. I think scare tactics are akin to public shaming, not an attempt to change behaviors. Growing up, most adults I knew smoked so it wasn't some sort of faux pas, but I quit when I met my wife because she preferred that I didn't. Most everyone I know did the same thing.

I knew one person that absolutely died from smoking, but he would have been addicted to something far more harmful had he note smoked a pack or two a day.
jwest21
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jwest21 »

Idoit40fans wrote:

You'd think that, but I see teens smoking quite often. drive down Main St of Butler and you'll see a few young adults smoking
jwest21
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jwest21 »

Lt. Dish wrote:
columbia wrote:I'd rather see these days than anything to do with erectile dysfunction.
Yes! :thumb:

And who has his-and-hers bathtubs side by side out in the middle of nowhere, with no hot water hookup, anyway?!
Not to mention who has energy left to do anything after hauling two bathtubs out to the middle of nowhere and then bringing in water and warming it enough to sit in it. If anything, 2 tubs in the middle of nowhere should be birth control.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

jwest21 wrote:drive down Main St of Butler
No.