Where my fellow cooks at???

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Post by tifosi77 »

And the white bit tastes quite strongly of garlic, and has a texture similar to heart of palm.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

LGP Cooks thread: Your place for live culinary blogging.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

went to the store today and YESSSSSS... zucchini is back. nice tiny baby zucchini. love them.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Post by Godric »

count2infinity wrote:went to the store today and YESSSSSS... zucchini is back. nice tiny baby zucchini. love them.
*insert jr high humor joke here*
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

made some sauteed shrimp last night cause i was hungry and have nothing in the fridge. butter, lemon juice, basil, salt, pepper, and some Worcestershire.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

This is how you don't use social media.....

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/t ... ebook-ever" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

have you ever seen the episode of kitchen nightmares with them on it? holy crap. they're nuts.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Yes. :lol:
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

freaking lulz... try going to the website: http://www.amysbakingcompany.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

count2infinity wrote:have you ever seen the episode of kitchen nightmares with them on it? holy crap. they're nuts.
that episode was incredible.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

columbia wrote:This is how you don't use social media.....

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/t ... ebook-ever" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This all started on the fake "God" Facebook page, IIRC. I mean, that page is just a massive troll, but when people don't realize that, stuff like this happens.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

I don't really watch KN, but we have BBC America on at work a lot so I hear a lot of episodes. I honestly have a hard time believing some of these restaurants are as bad as they are made out to be. It's depressing.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

So there's a pasta company here in state college that makes and sells fresh pasta and ravioli. They had a free pasta day that they gave away bags of free pasta to celebrate the opening of farmer's market season. they had a contest that the person to guess closest to the poundage of pasta they gave away that day won free pasta for a year. My fiancee entered it and won. We get a free pound of fresh fettuccine each week for a year. Guess we'll be having pasta more often.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

slappy is going to murder you, skin you, and wear you like enzo rocking the trenchcoat outside of the hospital in the original Godfather, and assume your life for the next 52 fettuccine-filled weeks.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

count2infinity wrote:have you ever seen the episode of kitchen nightmares with them on it? holy crap. they're nuts.
They were already nuts a couple years ago. This is a local news report that ran in 2010 after Amy blew up and wrote a threatening response to a bad Yelp review:
[youtube][/youtube]

Edit: I thought those two might be putting on an act just for the TV show. Based on this news report, however, it appears they are actually as crazy as they appear to be.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

They just showed a local news report covering this Facebook flap. For sure, they are legit guano loco.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

LOL. Total nutjobs. I don't think I've ever rooted harder for someone to fail.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

tifosi77 wrote:I don't really watch KN, but we have BBC America on at work a lot so I hear a lot of episodes. I honestly have a hard time believing some of these restaurants are as bad as they are made out to be. It's depressing.
I think it's a little of both, I'm sure that alot of the restaurants are picked based on the makeup of the staff so that Gordon Ramsey can have someone to go head to head with. I will say that I've worked in enough restaurants in my life that I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly. Sometimes it's just an honest mistake or oversight, and sometimes the people who are supposed to care don't. I will say that I saw a cook at a restaurant I worked at (which will remain nameless and has since closed), drop a burger on the ground, pick it up and put it on the bun and send it out to the table. He looked and me and did the shhhh (talbot style...). I'm sure that wasn't the only time it happened. That combined with seeing them pick mold off of bread and the general uncleanliness of the place was enough to make me quit. One of the biggest problems in alot of restaurants and you see it alot on KN is that they're poorly managed. The kitchen manager or chef orders too much food and then keeps it too long to avoid wasting it. The fear of running out keeps people from ordering reasonably. Managing a kitchen is not easy and it's not a job I'd ever want to have. I love to cook but I never want to manage a commercial kitchen and that's why I'll never pursue having my own restaurant.

I'm sure it's sensationalized and they look for a very specific mix of staff personalities, poor management, and a restaurant that's pretty far on the skids to make for better TV, but I think there is a fair amount of truth to it as well.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Yeah, the sheer headachedness (?) of professional cooking is why I shall remain ever more a very enthusiastic amateur.

Fwiw, my wife has a background working in restaurants (that's how she actually got to live in Japan for three years long ago in the days of yore known as "the 80s"). She's told me plenty of horror stories, but they're mostly related to how the kitchen staff have the backs of the front of house people in terms of dealing with obnoxious customers, or the abuse a steak gets when a diner orders a NY strip "well done".
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Alright, cooks:

If I wanted to find remoulade sauce in the North Hills, would Giant Eagle have it?
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

MRandall25 wrote:Alright, cooks:
If I wanted to find remoulade sauce in the North Hills, would Giant Eagle have it?
I don't recall ever seeing bottled remoulade sauce in any Giant Eagle.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Zatarain's makes a jarred remoulade, so if GE sells that brand they might have it.

However, it's pretty easy to make your own. Start with a store bought mayonnaise (or make from scratch!) and add creole mustard, horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne, lemon juice, pimentón, garlic, parsley. I think celery salt is used sometimes, and there might be one other ingredient that I'm forgetting (ketchup?), but that's pretty simple stuff. Deliciousness.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

tifosi77 wrote:Pork Loin with Fennel Pollen, Jerusalem Artichoke Puree and Dandelion Sauce
Had jerusalem artichokes for first time last fall as part of the local farm produce subscription I bought. Really liked them - kind of a nutty potato. Though they didn't for me, others had some intestinal 'problems' after eating them... which is supposedly a common effect. I guess that's why schools don't serve them on lunch menus... .
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Redneck surf n turf, aka "holy crap, these items were in the way back of the freezer"... Deer steak and sauteed shrimp.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I cooked a pork tenderloin and went for a new (to me) technique:

Blast it at 550 degrees for 5.5 minutes/pound, turn the oven off and let it go for an hour.
It came out slightly more done than I had hoped; which is to say, probably a bit underdone for accepted practices.

Either way, it was delicious. Using a simple rub with marjoram and s&p worked well.