NHL Awards Discussion/Griping

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

NHL Awards Discussion/Griping

Post by mikey287 »

For those that don't know...these "nominees" are not nominated in the sense that they are picked by the NHL and then voted on. These are the top-3 finalists as a result of voting. Just so we're clear on that. The voting was done at the end of the regular season.

Calder (rookie of the year): Brendan Gallagher (Mtl), Jonathan Huberdeau (Fla), Brandon Saad (Chi).

In my opinion, it should have been:
1. Jonas Brodin
2. Brendan Gallagher
3. Jonathan Huberdeau

Stat chasers removed the best or second best rookie from contention...hopefully that's the biggest travesty of the year, but we'll see...major miss by the voters there. Brenden Dillon, Justin Schultz, Nail Yakupov would have been decent choices too...

Norris (NHL's best defensemen): P.K. Subban (Mtl), Kristopher Letang (Pit), Ryan Suter (Min).

I actually pretty well like these choices, might have subbed out Letang for Beauchemin, but that's ok...
1. Ryan Suter
2. P.K. Subban
3. Kristopher Letang

Also would have considered Francois Beauchemin, Shea Weber, Duncan Keith...

Vezina (NHL's best goaltender): Sergei Bobrovsky (CBJ), Henrik Lundqvist (NYR), Antti Niemi (SJ)

I'm pretty good with these votes from the league's general managers, as I generally am. I am not a Niemi fan, but it was tough to ignore his body of work this year on a team that I wouldn't categorize as as defensive as New York or Columbus. Really did a great job with rebound control I felt this year and it's a team without a strong backup (Thomas Greiss), so Niemi had to get that team into the playoffs. It's a shame that Tuukka Rask doesn't get any goal support or else he would have had more than 19 wins. A flat 2 GAA, .929 save pct. and the league leading 5 blankings will likely land him in the top 5 in voting. As once again, a Boston goalie is at or near the top of the heap statistically (so that's 2 seasons for Thomas, 2 seasons for Rask, that's so so so so odd...).

Perhaps Jimmy Howard to round out the top 5? Had his work cut-out for him with Nicklas Lidstrom gone. Wouldn't mind if he received some scant recognition as well.

Might be...
1. Sergei Bobrovsky
2. Henrik Lundqvist
3. Antti NIemi
4. Tuukka Rask
5. Jimmy Howard

Ted Lindsay Award (Outstanding player according to the players): Sidney Crosby (Pit), Alexander Ovechkin (Wsh), Martin St. Louis (TB)

Don't really care much about this award...should be Crosby as he was by far the best player in the league this year. But the award is inconsistent and generally not telling of anything in particular...

Hart Trophy (League's most valuable player): Sidney Crosby (Pit), Alexander Ovechkin (Wsh), John Tavares (NYI)

I'm pretty good with these choices. Ovechkin finished strong and that can be commended. Tavares was the engine that drove a team to the playoffs. Would have also considered Jonathan Toews as well.

Hoping for: 1. Crosby, 2. Tavares, 3. Ovechkin, 4. Toews
Might end up: 1. Ovechkin, 2. Crosby, 3. Tavares, 4. Toews
Last edited by mikey287 on Fri May 10, 2013 10:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: NHL Awards Discussion/Griping

Post by Idoit40fans »

Not sure how Brodin didn't get a "nomination". Who was it that was saying that Saad was only playing because the Hawks mismanaged their cap? 1. No. 2. Mismanaged it? They seem ok.
Last edited by Idoit40fans on Tue May 07, 2013 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

We didn't pass on him, he was picked at 43, we didn't select until 54 (Scott Harrington).
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

Mikey: Is Bennett still eligible for Calder next year or did he play in too many games this season?

too lazy to look it up myself :pop:
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

No, he won't be eligible for it next year. 26 NHL games this year.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

if he had played a full season would he have been nominted?
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:if he had played a full season would he have been nominted?
There is no nomination, but define full season. 82 games or 50 games with 32 games spent in the press box?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:if he had played a full season would he have been nominted?
Hard to say. He played half the season. But I guess if the points were there, he would have been. Looked at Saad, he played with Toews all year basically and the voters chose to ignore that...so if Bennett got up near 30 points, he probably would have gotten a strong look if nothing else...
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

Brodin lead rookies in ice time, played the PK. Certainly should have been in the top 3.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Not to mention, he faced the toughest matchups too and looked great doing it...bad things didn't happen when he was out there...so wise beyond his years, total stud defenseman. A treat to watch all year.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

ryan suter effect?
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:ryan suter effect?
I wish Kris Letang had that same effect on Despres...he's just that good.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:ryan suter effect?
That doesn't hurt, but teams attacked his side of the ice because...well...you don't want to go Ryan Suter's way...and Brodin handled it like a veteran...
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Bobrovksy, Niemi, and Lundqvist for the Vezina
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Gotta be Bobrovsky, right?
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

I would have voted for:

Beauchemin
Subban
Keith

I don't think Suter had that great of a season, even considering that the season was shortened and he sucked for a month and then recovered. You have to judge the whole body of work during the season, whether it's shortened or not.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

I'm for Suter because he's a workhorse and a minute muncher. Top pk, top pp, out against top lines, protecting a one goal lead, trailing by one late in the game, first minute of a period, last minute of a period. He does it all. Yeo spills him over the boards every other shift no matter what.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Not that my thoughts are any more important, but it's consistent with the thread, I added my thoughts on the Vezina to the OP.

I'm good with Ryan Suter winning it. Played on a pairing with a rookie, logged huge minutes in every game, the Wild have no depth on D (go ahead, name them) and if you assigned players a GAA, Suter's is the 2nd lowest on the team (his partner is first, the guy that got robbed of a Calder) at 2.07. I'm good with how he played this year, to be honest.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

#Bob4Vezina
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

totes didnt realize how much the guys got in bonuses for winning these awards

http://sportsdocuments.com/2013/05/04/t ... -prestige/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Lulz at the Jennings payouts.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

canaan wrote:totes didnt realize how much the guys got in bonuses for winning these awards

http://sportsdocuments.com/2013/05/04/t ... -prestige/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Am I blind or is there no bonus for winning the Art Ross?
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

It's 87, AO or MSL for the Lindsay.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Haha it appears that there is not, but I would assume it fits in with the Norris/Hart group. I feel like they should replace the Hart with the Pearson(name changing is stupid, so it didn't happen).
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

canaan wrote:totes didnt realize how much the guys got in bonuses for winning these awards

AIUI, this is related to players on entry level contracts. That subsection, as I recall, is under paid-by-the-league Individual "B" bonuses for players in the entry level system. Meaning, that if Crosby wins the Conn Smythe, he wouldn't receive that money - naturally - because he's not on his rookie contract.

I do believe players receive a cash bonus paid by the league for winning these awards (in addition to playoff series wins, etc.) but I don't believe it is listed in the context of that link accurately.