Live Conn Smythe Trophy Tracker

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Live Conn Smythe Trophy Tracker

Post by mikey287 »

Super close of course, but updated for May 1st. I'm selling rotten tomatoes...3 for $1.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

updating the original and spoilering the older ones is awesome.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Mikey... I'm just curious what the thinking is in listing Letang (who had an outstanding showing for sure) over Duper? While listing both would obviously open the discussion to accusations of 'homerism', I personally would have probably put PD on the list in Letangs spot.

Thoughts?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

It was really close. Dupuis is a good choice to be sure. I favored Letang because he helped to orchestrate a shutout in a playoff game, I really liked his transition game all night...he was really skating with the puck well I thought. He activated a lot and played a big part in the offense while being a big part of things defensively of course.

If it's ever close, I'll always pick a defenseman over a winger. So much more responsibility.

I did have him marked for a giveaway, but the NHL does not. I thought in the mid third he turned the puck over inside the center circle but the stat keepers apparently thought otherwise. I'll have to re-watch...
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

mikey287 wrote:
If it's ever close, I'll always pick a defenseman over a winger. So much more responsibility.
Yeah, I figured that was your logic, and your absolutely right, a quality defenseman has a bigger impact even if you just consider the amount of time he's out there.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

mikey287 wrote:It was really close. Dupuis is a good choice to be sure. I favored Letang because he helped to orchestrate a shutout in a playoff game, I really liked his transition game all night...he was really skating with the puck well I thought. He activated a lot and played a big part in the offense while being a big part of things defensively of course.

I did have him marked for a giveaway, but the NHL does not. I thought in the mid third he turned the puck over inside the center circle but the stat keepers apparently thought otherwise. I'll have to re-watch...
I can't believe that wasn't counted as a giveaway. It definitely was one, in a dangerous area no less.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Glad I'm not only the one that remembers that...on the road, that's definitely a giveaway I bet...though, I'm sure Brooks Orpik was given 3 hits in that game as well...
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

ExPatriatePen wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
Yeah, I figured that was your logic, and your absolutely right, a quality defenseman has a bigger impact even if you just consider the amount of time he's out there.
And I'll [almost] always pick a goalie who earns a shutout over either.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

AO has it all but wrapped up.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Updated. Don't even bother looking at this point...too close to call. There's another 10 names that could easily be on that list. Erik Karlsson, Dustin Brown, Braden Holtby, Marc-Andre Fleury, Kristopher Letang, Logan Couture, etc., etc.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Craig Anderson
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Gaucho wrote:Craig Anderson
Ummm... who's #1 on Mikey's list?

Wait.. I thought this was the Jeopardy thread.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Craig Anderson.

Simply updating the 1st post, huh? Sneaky, mike.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by JoseCuervo »

I agree that Doughty has played well but Conn Smythe worthy? I don't think you can really justify including a player on a team that's lost 2 of 2.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

If he loses two more, we won't have to worry much about it, right?

Like I've said, you can put another name there and be just as right, ya know? It really is an exercise in futility to do it this early before some of the oil can separate from the water...but whatever...I've noticed Doughty in a positive manner quite a bit so far, so I put him on the list...will he be on it after tonight? I guess we'll see...
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

this almost has the feel of preseason polls. Kind of premature. Fun to talk about, perhaps, but premature nonetheless.

Has it ever gone to a player who did not make the SCF?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

relantel wrote:this almost has the feel of preseason polls. Kind of premature. Fun to talk about, perhaps, but premature nonetheless.

Yup to the first line (as per the OP). Nope to the second line. It rarely goes to a loser in the Finals, much less someone that doesn't make the Finals.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

mikey287 wrote:
relantel wrote:this almost has the feel of preseason polls. Kind of premature. Fun to talk about, perhaps, but premature nonetheless.

Yup to the first line (as per the OP). Nope to the second line. It rarely goes to a loser in the Finals, much less someone that doesn't make the Finals.
the only losers I recall in the last 30 years were two goaltenders, Giguere and Hextall. Looking it up, 5 won it on the losing team, 4 of which were goaltenders. Two of those were in the first four years of the trophy. Reggie Leach was only skater to do it in 1976. Suspect it would be very hard to have a losing skater win it this day and age. Would have to be miles ahead statistically of any winning player.

hockey reference has a decent chart of top 10 in playoff scoring: http://www.hockey-reference.com/leaders ... _10_p.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Yeah, Leach got it because he broke the record for goals in a playoffs I think (19). Hall's and Giguere's were kind of a handout (Hall was swept in the Finals, as I recall but he was leading an expansion team into the jaws of doom). Hextall was very good for the Flyers in the '87 Finals, but I can't speak to most of the rest of that playoffs. Unfortunately, I never did learn very much in my travels about Crozier's win in 1966 or 1968 (I think?).
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

I can't wait until this starts sorting itself out a little better...still just several hours into the playoffs, it's anyone's game of course...
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

logan couture
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Sidney Crosby (no homer)
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

MRandall25 wrote:Sidney Crosby (no homer)
well... wasn't it 2010 where he had 14 in 5 games vs OTT then had 5 points in the final 7 games? A few games or a series does not an MVP make...
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Here's a rotten tomato: Kyle Okposo
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

relantel wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Sidney Crosby (no homer)
well... wasn't it 2010 where he had 14 in 5 games vs OTT then had 5 points in the final 7 games? A few games or a series does not an MVP make...
Couldn't you say that for the entire thread? :pop: :slug: