George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

i think stannis may be the most boring character ever
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Trying to remember... did the show previously make mention of his daughter's greyscale? I don't recall.

And yeah, Stannis is... well, Stannis. The characters around him are a lot more interesting than he is (thankfully).
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

Spangler wrote:Fantastic episode. Lot's of character development happening setting up what happens next. I liked seeing Stannis the family man, and seeing more as to why Davos is likable. Hopefully seeing a broken Jamie's insight into why he's a kingslayer is enough to change people opinion about him.

Last season, I was constantly distracted by alterations and the pacing that I didn't enjoy the episodes as much until late in the season. This time, I've really really enjoyed each episode, and haven't had many complaints at all.

I thought the scene in the tub with Jamie and Brienne was amazing
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

that scene just goes to show you to what level the people of westeros are stuck in their ways. Jamie tells Brienne, one of the most sensible people that the show has shown thus far, about the reasoning behind what he did--he killed a merciless, maniacal king after pleading for his surrender, and when he falls ill, she refers to him as "King Slayer" again.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

What was wrong with Stannis's daughter's face?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

She has greyscale. Don't think they've mentioned it yet on the show. Not sure if the description constitutes a spoiler or not.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Note the appropriate spelling of "grey." :pop:
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

the wicked child wrote:She has greyscale. Don't think they've mentioned it yet on the show. Not sure if the description constitutes a spoiler or not.
is greyscale anything like porridge plague?

edit: this was a funny, btw
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Greyscale:
Spoiler:
Greyscale is a disease that can leave flesh stiff and dead and the skin cracked and flaking, mottled black and grey and stone-like to the touch. The tongue and lips turn to stone. It generally affects children especially in cold damp climates. The victims are disfigured but could not be touched by the rarer mortal form of the affliction or the grey plague. The wildlings consider people who survive Greyscale unclean.
I was just going to post a link, but it lists people known to be infected, and this is a spoiler of sorts for later on, so I opted not to.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

columbia wrote:Maybe John Snow won't be so brooding, now that he's gotten some action?
"I don't want to ever leave this cave, Jon Snow" seemed a little over the top, though.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I don't imagine GRRM is particularly nimble, when it comes to sultry conversations (in his own life).
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

the wicked child wrote:Greyscale:
Spoiler:
Greyscale is a disease that can leave flesh stiff and dead and the skin cracked and flaking, mottled black and grey and stone-like to the touch. The tongue and lips turn to stone. It generally affects children especially in cold damp climates. The victims are disfigured but could not be touched by the rarer mortal form of the affliction or the grey plague. The wildlings consider people who survive Greyscale unclean.
I was just going to post a link, but it lists people known to be infected, and this is a spoiler of sorts for later on, so I opted not to.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Gaucho wrote:
columbia wrote:Maybe John Snow won't be so brooding, now that he's gotten some action?
"I don't want to ever leave this cave, Jon Snow" seemed a little over the top, though.
she said similar things in the book, no?
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

canaan wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
I didn't read the books, so I don't know. But it was inevitable they'd get it on the moment they met.

Bah, maybe I'm just cynical. Staying in that cave forever would make for an awkward storyline, though.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Post by Godric »

Gaucho wrote:
canaan wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
I didn't read the books, so I don't know. But it was inevitable they'd get it on the moment they met.

Bah, maybe I'm just cynical. Staying in that cave forever would make for an awkward storyline, though.
Are you saying that the line "I don't want to ever leave this cave" is too sappy for her character? I'd agree that the transition... if thats the direction they wanted her character to go was poor.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

She said the exact same thing in the book, and it made more sense there. It's been awhile since I read the book, but when Jon and her were in the cave, they were more isolated from the rest of the group. There were tunnels in the mountain that stretched a long way, so they could have run off together and probably not have been found by anyone.

The show didn't have the same impact because everyone was like 30 feet from the entrance of the cave.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Post by Godric »

Spangler wrote:She said the exact same thing in the book, and it made more sense there. It's been awhile since I read the book, but when Jon and her were in the cave, they were more isolated from the rest of the group. There were tunnels in the mountain that stretched a long way, so they could have run off together and probably not have been found by anyone.

The show didn't have the same impact because everyone was like 30 feet from the entrance of the cave.
Ah, thanks for this :thumb:
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

I think you are assuming the depth of her character too abruptly. Her tv character reminds me of chani from dune so far.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

Just watched most recent episode. Liked it a lot but stannis is still lame as butt
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

Gaucho wrote:
canaan wrote:
Gaucho wrote:

I thought it was a great line, perfectly emphasizing her awareness of the magical but fleeting nature of the moment. White walkers, Crows, and the coming Winter wait outside while they make love in a hot spring. She had just experienced "That thing you did, with your mouth?" for the first time. Yeah, she probably would like to stay in that cave forever. And if I were Jon, I'd be tempted to hold her to it.
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Firebird »

I couldn't figure out why the Army wasn't making camp in the Spring instead of the cold outside???
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Its not gonna be fun going back outside in damp clothes.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Idoit40fans wrote:Its not gonna be fun going back outside in damp clothes.
if they were smart, they would change the story up and just have her stay in the cave for the rest of series without clothes fighting cave trolls or something like that.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Jon Snow is my favorite character, but he would be better if the rest of that story line was just him having adult bedtime in the cave.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Idoit40fans wrote:Jon Snow is my favorite character, but he would be better if the rest of that story line was just him having adult bedtime in the cave.
spinoff show?