Nieuwendyk Out As Stars GM

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Nieuwendyk Out As Stars GM

Post by pens_CT »

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6679 ... L|NHL|home

Oh well, I guess Shero will have to find another GM to abuse in the trade market.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Nieuwendyk Out As Stars GM

Post by llipgh2 »

I think Shero's abuse for the second year in a row had something to do with this.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

Stars were worried that Shero would fleece them for Jamie Benn.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Damn.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Post by Godric »

I think this was a mistake for dallas actually
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Can't say, but mikey should have some insight.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Joe Nieuwendyk and his staff did such a great job replenishing a horrendous prospect pool...it was a bottom five pool in the league five years ago or so...now it's easily top 10 in my opinion. On that front, he's done well. He had limited funds to work with, and some of the cost-cutting strategies of the Stars behind the scenes were really intrusive onto GMJN's (old) plans. I don't want to get into specifics, particularly because it doesn't matter now, but GMJN (old) was largely hogtied by ownership's purse strings and he had to operate under that pressure.

On the flip side, it's known around the league that you can get one over on him in a hockey trade. We've seen it, Montreal just saw it and I can't speak to what other teams were willing to part with at the deadline for their vets, but he brought in a little too much fluff in terms of prospects it seems (Connauton, for instance) and the deals felt a little rushed. That said, I'm surprised so many deals were allowed to take place for a lame duck GM. But whatever...it's not like he acquired immovable assets in these deadline deals.

The new ownership is ready to go there and GMJN (old) isn't their guy really...clearly. I don't believe that Gulutzan will be considered their guy either as he represents the old regime...if another coach presents himself as a better option, I think they'll jump on it...

Jim Nill...GMJN (new) is very, very highly respected around the league. He's been the asst GM in Detroit for a long time now and he's turned down multiple GM offers over the years...including Montreal last year (now Marc Bergevin's position).

I'm not positive that the brass trusted Nieuwendyk with their money on the market, which I think helped to usher in his dismissal.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

He seemed to lose contract negotiations as well.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Post by Godric »

mikey287 wrote:
Jim Nill...GMJN (new) is very, very highly respected around the league. He's been the asst GM in Detroit for a long time now and he's turned down multiple GM offers over the years...including Montreal last year (now Marc Bergevin's position).

I'
Didn't know that, thanks.

I felt the same way about JN's drafting though. I thought he stocked the cupboards pretty well, I just hope they can develop these players
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

They helped their development in the AHL down there by moving last year's NHL Assistant Coach (Whiteboard Willie Desjardins) down to the HC in Texas (AHL). He should be taking them deep into the playoffs this year as they were pretty good despite some injury problems and Scott Glennie's existence.

The coach the year before in the AHL, Jeff Pyle (he took over for Glen Gulutzan), was so outrageous and ineffective that the players nearly had a mutiny...he was not well liked by players or management and his system was such a mismatch for the players he had, it was really quite unbelievable for this level of hockey. He was canned at the end of his first year without a going-away party to put it nicely...
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I'm not really sure that he was the problem there. Aren't they poor?