George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by PensFanInDC »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:ah. also, those stupid valryians were stupid for not expecting anything for danaerys
Why would they? She, at the time she showed up, was nothing more than a silly little girl with a worthless horde of broke down barbarians with her.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I am hoping to make the girl drive to Pittsburgh tonight and finish up A Game of Thrones.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

PensFanInDC wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:ah. also, those stupid valryians were stupid for not expecting anything for danaerys
Why would they? She, at the time she showed up, was nothing more than a silly little girl with a worthless horde of broke down barbarians with her.
if someone is giving away the most powerful asset in the world, i think the recipient should at least be cognizant of potential subterfuge. also - i would think that most valryians would know that the targaryens have that in their blood line? i am not sure if that is explained more in the book but since people are so provincial i assume it would be pretty well known.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I don't understand how Danaerys wasn't killed in the world they exist in.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:
if someone is giving away the most powerful asset in the world, i think the recipient should at least be cognizant of potential subterfuge. also - i would think that most valryians would know that the targaryens have that in their blood line? i am not sure if that is explained more in the book but since people are so provincial i assume it would be pretty well known.
In the books Westeros, to the rest of the world, is some crapsplat stain on the map that they would rather never deal with. They are the hicks, rednecks, and underlings of the world.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Idoit40fans wrote:I don't understand how Danaerys wasn't killed in the world they exist in.
Can you be more specific? She has been protected since the revolution
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

She frequently walks with a couple of slave girls through towns and caravans. Rather than trying to poison her, she should have just been decapitated.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Idoit40fans wrote:She frequently walks with a couple of slave girls through towns and caravans. Rather than trying to poison her, she should have just been decapitated.
Can't argue with that...
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PensFanInDC wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:
if someone is giving away the most powerful asset in the world, i think the recipient should at lea be cognizant of potential subterfuge. also - i would think that most valryians would know that the targaryens have that in their blood line? i am not sure if that is explained more in the book but since people are so provincial i assume it would be pretty well known.
In the books Westeros, to the rest of the world, is some crapsplat stain on the map that they would rather never deal with. They are the hicks, rednecks, and underlings of the world.
so do we start learning about the other areas other than westeros?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

You already are. Qarth, Valaryia, Dothrak...
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Letang Is The Truth wrote: i would think that most valryians would know that the targaryens have that in their blood line? i am not sure if that is explained more in the book but since people are so provincial i assume it would be pretty well known.
The people in that city speak a form of Valyrian because they were once conquered by Valyria, but they are not Valyrian themselves. The nation of Valyria was destroyed by what was probably a massive volcanic eruption around 500 years before the events of A Game of Thrones. The people in Astapor speak a form of Valyrian for the same reason that most people in South American speak Spanish or Portuguese.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Because its easy to learn?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Blind greed for one, and they saw her as a dumb woman for two... I don't think any of them really considered her a threat.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

PensFanInDC wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:so why did they release theon just to have the same guy come back and capture him...?
Part to torture him and part because the guy who let him go wanted a reward for capturing him
I'm not sure how to reply to this as it will reveal spoilers, so I'll just leave a spoiler tag that can be viewed at ones own discretion.
Spoiler:
The guy that let Theon go and promptly recaptured him is actually Ramsey Snow; the guy who is in command of everyone there. His cruelty is arguable worse than Joffrey's. He's playing one big game with Theon purely for amusement.

Theon's chapters were one of the best in the 5th book, so I really can't wait to see how it will play out on the show.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

Spangler wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:so why did they release theon just to have the same guy come back and capture him...?
Part to torture him and part because the guy who let him go wanted a reward for capturing him
I'm not sure how to reply to this as it will reveal spoilers, so I'll just leave a spoiler tag that can be viewed at ones own discretion.
Spoiler:
The guy that let Theon go and promptly recaptured him is actually Ramsey Snow; the guy who is in command of everyone there. His cruelty is arguable worse than Joffrey's. He's playing one big game with Theon purely for amusement.

Theon's chapters were one of the best in the 5th book, so I really can't wait to see how it will play out on the show.
Spoilers so it doesn't mess anyone else up please, but does anyone end up saving Theon?
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

SolidSnake wrote:Spoilers so it doesn't mess anyone else up please, but does anyone end up saving Theon?
Spoiler:
The details are a little fuzzy for me, but Theon eventually escapes on his own power. Ramsey marries (who he thinks is) Arya, but she is really an imposter; one of Sansa's old friends in Winterfell. Being the wife of Ramsey is one of the worst punishments imaginable, so "Arya" begs Theon to help her escape. Theon, who is scared to death at this point, doesn't want to, but he reluctantly helps her escape anyway. His chapters end at this point, so it's unclear what happens from there until the next book is released. George Martin did release a Theon, sneak preview chapter on his website. I'm not sure if it's still posted.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

Spangler wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:Spoilers so it doesn't mess anyone else up please, but does anyone end up saving Theon?
Spoiler:
The details are a little fuzzy for me, but Theon eventually escapes on his own power. Ramsey marries (who he thinks is) Arya, but she is really an imposter; one of Sansa's old friends in Winterfell. Being the wife of Ramsey is one of the worst punishments imaginable, so "Arya" begs Theon to help her escape. Theon, who is scared to death at this point, doesn't want to, but he reluctantly helps her escape anyway. His chapters end at this point, so it's unclear what happens from there until the next book is released. George Martin did release a Theon, sneak preview chapter on his website. I'm not sure if it's still posted.
Thank you :thumb:
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by WDWBurghGooner »

Spoiler:
Just realized that the guy who cuts off Jamie's hand is definitely the band manager from Almost Famous.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

In terms of progression within the book, where is the show currently? And how many books total?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:In terms of progression within the book, where is the show currently? And how many books total?
There are five books printed currently. Martin is working on book number six, Winds of Winter. Release date unknown.

The show is currently on the third book, which may be spread out over two TV seasons.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Solid episode. Nothing earth shattering but things are moving along. Quite a bit on the horizon...

Storm Of Swords spoilers
Spoiler:
It looks like the Red Wedding is likely to happen soon.. I'll be surprised if they drag it out till episode 9. 7 seems likely at this rate (and was written by Martin)... we shall see.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Maybe John Snow won't be so brooding, now that he's gotten some action?
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

Fantastic episode. Lot's of character development happening setting up what happens next. I liked seeing Stannis the family man, and seeing more as to why Davos is likable. Hopefully seeing a broken Jamie's insight into why he's a kingslayer is enough to change people opinion about him.

Last season, I was constantly distracted by alterations and the pacing that I didn't enjoy the episodes as much until late in the season. This time, I've really really enjoyed each episode, and haven't had many complaints at all.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Post by Godric »

Jamie still fathered that POS joeffery so......
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

Hey! It was Robert and Cersei who raised him.