Anyone else worried about the Caps?

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Anyone else worried about the Caps?

Post by Mr. Colby »

Pens biggest obstacle is themselves. If they play the way they've been since game 24ish, not a chance any of these eastern conference teams comes close to winning a 7 game series against us
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

I am more worried about the Capitals than any other team in the conference, and the Pens have a history of not stopping Ovechkin.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Lesky wrote:I am more worried about the Capitals than any other team in the conference, and the Pens have a history of not stopping Ovechkin.
Cept for that time the Pens beat them and went on to win the cup :pop:
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

IanMoran wrote:Putting this in NP to avoid the :scared: , but its not about who had the best season but who gets hot....... and yea, the Caps are looking great right now.
Funny story. During the Caps turnaround into the hot streak, they were the second best team in the NHL. Guess who was better.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

Rylan wrote:
Lesky wrote:I am more worried about the Capitals than any other team in the conference, and the Pens have a history of not stopping Ovechkin.
Ovechkin still owned the Pens in that series, was just as good as Crosby all things considered. Not Ovechkins fault caps lost that time.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Lesky wrote:
Rylan wrote:
Ovechkin still owned the Pens in that series, was just as good as Crosby all things considered. Not Ovechkins fault caps lost that time.
No, but the better team won
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Rylan wrote:
Lesky wrote:
Rylan wrote:
Exactly. Not sure what Ovechkin vs Crosby has to do with this.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

Idoit40fans wrote:
Rylan wrote:
Lesky wrote:
Rylan wrote:
Exactly. Not sure what Ovechkin vs Crosby has to do with this.
Well, if we play the Caps, Ovechkin will meet Crosby again surely, eh? Stopping Ovechkin would be priority one, he is a machine right now.
Last edited by Lesky on Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

and Malkin, Iginla, Morrow, Letang, Kunitz, Dupuis, Neal, Juicy, Sutter, Martin, Murray, Orpik, Fleury...
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

Rylan wrote:and Malkin, Iginla, Morrow, Letang, Kunitz, Dupuis, Neal, Juicy, Sutter, Martin, Murray, Orpik, Fleury...
Indeed. All relevant in this thread.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

All I am saying is Ovie can be a one man army, but against the total of the Pens the Caps do not match up well. The Penguins, when healthy, are one of the most complete teams in the east, if not the most complete team. The Caps are top heavy and can be prone to defensive meltdowns. Ovie won't be able to produce enough goals to offset all the potential weapons the Penguins have. Ovie will not even come close to being capable of being a major player if the Pens offense clicks even in the slightest.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Shakes »

Lesky wrote:
Rylan wrote:
He was incredible in that series. At the peak of his powers. On a better team than his current one.

And the Pens still won.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by littlemoonboot »

The Caps would probably be one of the peskier matchups in the east for the Penguins, they always play their hearts out against the Pens. That said, all the Pens need to do is match that effort. They're a much deeper team. I really don't expect Ovie would be stopped, he scored against the Pens even when the Caps were struggling. But the other lines and supporting casts matter, too.

Regarding their chances overall, one thing I have noticed about the Caps each year they contend is their lack of veteran presence (with the exception of occasional guys like Fedorov or Knuble.)

Last year I felt the Pens needed more "grizzlies" -- the core aren't babies by any stretch but I think if they had more vets or characters, they would have been more focused and composed against the Flyers. Not that this is the only thing that was a factor, I know that's not the whole story. But for years (especially late Lidstrom era) people mocked how old Detroit was but they had a ton of grizzlies and always competed well in the playoffs.

For whatever reason, the Caps remind me of the Pens as far as having a good nucleus of talent, only they remind me of the Pens without the pre-Shero additions that put them over the top.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

smoke and mirrors

14-3-0 within the Southeast. 68 GF, 40 GA (4 goals per game, 2.35 goals allowed per game)
10-14-2 outside of the Southeast. 63 GF, 79 GA (2.42 goals per game, 3.03 goals allowed per game)

http://capitals.nhl.com/club/teamvsteam.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Caps lose to another fringe playoff team...thus making that team a playoff team.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by CERV96 »

Caps have to get to round 3 to face the Pens(unless we get bounced). If they are as good as some say they are then we will see them.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

If they're as good as they've shown themselves to be this season, then the Pens will not see them...nor will the Habs or Bruins.
Pens Fan Since 1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Pens Fan Since 1970 »

I want the Rangers to finish 6th. I have a feeling they will eliminate the Caps in the 1st round.