Honeymoon over for J Staal?

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Honeymoon over for J Staal?

Post by JS© »

mikey287 wrote:According to a tweet I saw, Jared will be the 20th player to dress for Carolina (NHL) and Charlotte (AHL) this year! For perspective, and we know how many injuries and auditions we've gone through, I got us at 8...Bennett, Despres, Bortuzzo, MacIntyre, Smith, Reese, Tangradi, Eaton, (Zatkoff, DNP)
Add Joe Morrow. Recalled on February 10th but DNP
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?i ... t-penguins" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://blogs.post-gazette.com/sports/em ... s-02-10-13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mikey287 wrote:Politics start in hockey at the bantam level at the latest, this shouldn't be new to anyone...
Truth
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Just another great trade in Shero's long list of good ones.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

Pitts wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:I just don't get how this is a feel good story.
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013 ... -from-ahl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
According to Elias Sports (by way of Carolina PR man Mike Sundheim) the Staals are set to become just the fourth trio of brothers to play for the same team in the same season in NHL history:
The Stastnys and Plagers were legitimate NHL players for a long time. Them playing together is an amazing accomplishment that was put in place by their abilities.
Idoit40fans wrote:Are you drunk? I could have sworn that you weren't normally this outrageous when you post.
I'm usually not. There are tons of players who spend their entire careers in the minors holding onto the belief that if they work hard enough maybe they'll get the chance to throw on an NHL sweater. That if the balls bounce the right way for them just once that maybe they'll get their shot, even if its just for one game. I have friends that play in professional leagues that half the members of this board have never heard of, holding onto the smallest glimmers of hope that all of their hard work will overcome their lack of talent and one day they'll be playing in an NHL game (or an AHL game for that matter).

For the vast majority of them it will never happen. They're simply not good enough. No combination of hard work or hope will ever help them achieve their ultimate dream, it's just the way it is. Then you have someone like Jared Staal, who belongs in an NHL game as much as you or I do, get called up to the NHL simply because of his name, it bothers me. I get why he was called up. I get the publicity stunt aspect of it. I get that he was called up because the guys they sent down are more valuable to the Checkers than he is. But it bothers me, because he hasn't earned it. Not on talent, or performance, or time, or dedication, but because he's his brothers' brother. He's a professional athlete, not a charity case. And then you add on that somehow people see this seen as a good, heart-warming, fuzzy feeling event. I don't get fuzzy feelings when people are undeservingly rewarded with something because of their name or status. There's nothing to be proud of here. Nothing has been achieved.

Jared Staal is going to play in two NHL games with two of his brothers and then most likely disappear into hockey obscurity. Good for him. I'm sure he'll enjoy the opportunity and the Staal family will relish every moment of it, but that doesn't change the fact that he didn't earn the opportunity, his brothers earned it for him.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Man, I can't believe Dickie Dunn murphydumped all over this thread...

I also think this is the first real application of the term "murphydumped".
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

meow wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:
meow wrote:I disagree with every single point that you've made
Then you know what its like to be completely wrong.
You've got to be kidding me? Do you honestly believe that if you were on the Canes, you'd be mad that this move happens? You would be genuinely disgusted and feel zero happiness toward Jared or Jordan or your blood, sweat and tears captain Eric?
Of course not. That's not the point I was arguing. I imagine NHL players are always happy for guys who make their debut, regardless of who it is. Its a big deal. I was arguing that its not a morale booster because there is no morale to be boosted. The Canes' season has been a disaster. They've gone through 20 AHL callups, dealt with numerous injuries, had their big offseason aquisition not perform as expected, and played their way out of a playoff spot. So what that another Staal has been called up. That's not going to make anyone feel better or reinvigorate the team. They're two games away from hitting the golf course, relaxing, and getting prepared to get back at it next season.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

The Let's Go Canes message board is all over the place with this.

Most realize it's a gimmick.

Some don't care and think it's nice for the Staal family.

There is the Dickie Dunn contingent - that he's taking ice time away from a decent prospect (which I think is a legit beef, but at this point, who cares?)

Most are tired of this type of nepotism in the Hurricanes - bringing back old coaches, players, and so on. It is a bit sickening. :lol:

One guy thinks their color guy will have all kinds of issues keeping up with the names.

And finally, there are a few thinking the team is tanking for Seth Jones. :lol:

http://www.letsgocanes.com/forum/showth ... ae&t=12260" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I don't know that hometown message boards are a good barometer of rational thinking.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

columbia wrote:I don't know that hometown message boards are a good barometer of rational thinking.
Let me introduce you to http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB ... um.php?f=1.

It is full of hometown, rational thinking!
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Today I learned people get upset over trivial things.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

columbia wrote:I don't know that hometown message boards are a good barometer of rational thinking.
Yeah, I know. It's pretty sad, that message board.

I looked up the recent 4/9 game thread - a whopping three pages, most of which was talking about how bad the Canes were going to lose, things they'd rather be doing, how obnoxious our fans are (most annoying traveling fans in the league, said one person), and how bad it's going to be next season when they're in the same division as the Pens.

It was a little depressing.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Sometimes, often times in hockey, it's who you know...not what you know. If my dad was Jack Button, I would have been the GM of the Flames in the late 90's (and I wouldn't have let Oleg Saprykin get away <3). What can you do...it's not the best thing in the world, as I've said, but it's nothing to be upset about...this happens all the time...we were a country club organization for a long, long time ourselves...
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

If whoever this player is thats missing out on his hypothetical chance by Jared being called up were any good, this wouldn't be his only chance.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Fire0nice228 »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
Yeah, I know. It's pretty sad, that message board.

I looked up the recent 4/9 game thread - a whopping three pages, most of which was talking about how bad the Canes were going to lose, things they'd rather be doing..

It was a little depressing.
Sunbelt expansion FTW
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by IanMoran »

Can we just move on?

This is something people just won't agree on.

I originally stated my opinion (which happened to be in the minority), but shocked to come back and see all the posts.

This isn't anything that can be backed up by stats or observations.

Its just an opinion. Both sides seem to be calling the other side 'ridiculous," which is the only ridiculous thing.

Here:

GREAT IDEA
- Cool moment!
- Keep the other Staal's happy
- Once in a life time moment
- Why do you care either way?
- Family organization!

TERRIBLE IDEA
- Side-show, garage league type move
- Didn't earn it
- Someone's going back down who shouldn't be and hurting his pay check just because they want to do a scam
- Why does he get it just because of his brothers? Sure a lot of people want to play in the league
- They're out of it, so why not get a real prospect some NHL time

Both sides, neither is wrong
sniper
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by sniper »

I think this is Carolina's way of bringing up a crap player to raise the probability that they lose more games and get a better draft pick. To this I say smart move and I don't see any reason why anyone would be upset with this other than maybe one of the canes other prospects who thinks he is more deserving of playing time in the NHL. And seeing that they've used 20 players in both the NHL and AHL games this year I'd say odds are every player that has actually deserved playing time in the NHL has already gotten it and Jared isn't taking ice time away from any player who has a legit shot at making the NHL roster anyway. So anyone who is upset by this is crazy.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

My only qualm with this is that I think stuff like this reinforces the "t-ball" entitlement mentality, as in you get a trophy just for showing up. But, hey, it's their team.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I don't see what the problem is playing him in 2 meaningless games in a shortened season.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

MRandall25 wrote:I don't see what the problem is playing him in 2 meaningless games in a shortened season.
Apparently, it's a matter of life or death for some.

I don't understand the fury over this move. Carolina is eliminated and it's obviously a gesture to the Staal brothers, two of which they pay a lot of money to and will be doing for a while. Who exactly is harmed by this move and why does anyone care?
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

MRandall25 wrote:Man, I can't believe Dickie Dunn murphydumped all over this thread...

I also think this is the first real application of the term "murphydumped".
http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB ... p#p2371252
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I couldn't remember. I knew someone pitched the idea
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »