Honeymoon over for J Staal?

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Honeymoon over for J Staal?

Post by Idoit40fans »

Dickie Dunn wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
IanMoran wrote:
mikey287 wrote:This is the last couple weeks of Jared Staal's NHL contract and it's unlikely he's going to get another one I think...so basically, this is only chance to play in the NHL with his brothers...it's nepotism and all that, but I'm alright with it really...how cool must that be...

Carolina has a way of keeping people in the organization, it really is a family there as far as I know, and this is just more of the same. Like it or lump it, it's a nice gesture. This is probably the only chance he'll ever get...I hope he gets a hat trick.
Sorry, there's guys who deserve NHL experience (and could actually benefit from it) more than him... who are being robbed so he can play with his brothers. If I was him I wouldn't want to be part of the gimmick

Different opinions though
the canes don't need to call anyone up so they aren't choosing him over some prospect. he's taking the place of Tim Wallace, who is probably happy to give the kid a nice memory and would benefit from more playing time about as much as i would. and the canes get warm fuzzy points, which doesn't exactly hurt things.

holy bizarre outrage batman
I'm sure Tim Wallace would rather finish out the season in the NHL and collect $28,000 over the next four days than give the crappiest Staal brother a warm fuzzy feeling. He's not stupid. He knows he sucks. He knows why he's getting called up, and it has absolutely nothing to do with his lack of talent.
I'm sure Tim Wallace would rather be competing the the Calder Cup playoffs and trying to do anything he can to get an NHL contract next year.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Shakes »

columbia wrote:It seems like a harmless gesture.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

IanMoran wrote:
mikey287 wrote:This is the last couple weeks of Jared Staal's NHL contract and it's unlikely he's going to get another one I think...so basically, this is only chance to play in the NHL with his brothers...it's nepotism and all that, but I'm alright with it really...how cool must that be...

Carolina has a way of keeping people in the organization, it really is a family there as far as I know, and this is just more of the same. Like it or lump it, it's a nice gesture. This is probably the only chance he'll ever get...I hope he gets a hat trick.
Sorry, there's guys who deserve NHL experience (and could actually benefit from it) more than him... who are being robbed so he can play with his brothers. If I was him I wouldn't want to be part of the gimmick

Different opinions though

Pens never played Andrew Orpik, and I'm sure it would have been cool for him too
It's at the tail end of a season where they are going nowhere. I don't think they are robbing any player of anything at all. Sheesh!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

To the point of this thread...that author fails to realize that most players take a nearly a season to adjust to their new team and surroundings. To rail on Staal like that is premature. He went to a new team (and a much worse one at that), system, town, state, etc...give him some time!

On the other hand, I'm very pleased with Brandon Sutter.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Yeah, I'm all for earning your place and the whole thing...through and through...I just don't have a problem with this, he gets a game or two...he's going to get about 10 minutes of ice time probably in his NHL career, that's not going to effect anything other than this young man's life...let him have his moment...it's not the first country club thing that's happened in the NHL and it's certainly not the most egregious.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

he will probably play the Rangers and all the Staal brothers will be playing in a game.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Fire0nice228 »

Idoit40fans wrote:. Lets be honest though, the Pens weren't keeping him if he didn't sign for like $5 million or less ..

:?: :shock: The Pens offered him 6 mil a year and he didn't sign.. i'm sure you knew that though so what the heck are you talking about?
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

mikey287 wrote:Yeah, I'm all for earning your place and the whole thing...through and through...I just don't have a problem with this, he gets a game or two...he's going to get about 10 minutes of ice time probably in his NHL career, that's not going to effect anything other than this young man's life...let him have his moment...it's not the first country club thing that's happened in the NHL and it's certainly not the most egregious.
What moment though? While his brothers make millions of dollars to play a game and two of them get to show off their Stanley Cup rings, he gets to take pride in playing two NHL games solely because of his last name? That's nothing more than a moment of pity.

"Hey kids, want to hear about the time daddy got to suck in the NHL for 5 minutes?"
"Sorry dad, I'd rather hear Uncle Jordan talk about scoring in the Stanley Cup finals for the ten millionth time."

I'd rather spend my entire career working my tail off in the minors and never get called up than receive a pity call up based solely on the success my older brothers have had.
Rylan wrote:he will probably play the Rangers and all the Staal brothers will be playing in a game.
Marc is still a cyclops.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Hehe forgot about that.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Dickie Dunn wrote: What moment though? While his brothers make millions of dollars to play a game and two of them get to show off their Stanley Cup rings, he gets to take pride in playing two NHL games solely because of his last name? That's nothing more than a moment of pity.

"Hey kids, want to hear about the time daddy got to suck in the NHL for 5 minutes?"
"Sorry dad, I'd rather hear Uncle Jordan talk about scoring in the Stanley Cup finals for the ten millionth time."
you're right, those hypothetical little kids who don't know any better are completely going to call jared out on his bull**** when he tells them about the time he got to play in the NHL with his brothers.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

I hear ya, but you're making too much of this...the Canes have gone through so many call-ups this year, the Checkers are gearing up for the playoffs, so they don't want to take anyone from there, and they need a guy to play a couple minutes, the last couple minutes of his contract and he gets to play his brothers...

A team invested a 2nd round pick in him, he was traded for a 5th I think, he got an entry-level contract, so he has money invested in him already...it's already a sunken cost...it's whatever really...

I'm not saying I love it, but it's not worth bellyaching over...these things happen. Politics start in hockey at the bantam level at the latest, this shouldn't be new to anyone...
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

So, how long do they keep a Staal^3 line out there?
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Dickie Dunn wrote: What moment though? While his brothers make millions of dollars to play a game and two of them get to show off their Stanley Cup rings, he gets to take pride in playing two NHL games solely because of his last name? That's nothing more than a moment of pity.

I think you are forgetting these are real people. The Canes have nothing to lose or gain from this move, so why not make a feel good story to help the team morale a little bit.
Last edited by meow on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I can't believe there are people with a problem with this. If you want to ignore that idea that they are doing a good thing, look at it as them making themselves more appealing to other players who want to trust that a team will look out for them rather than just trying to use them. You think players don't appreciate the way the Pens treat their players?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

According to a tweet I saw, Jared will be the 20th player to dress for Carolina (NHL) and Charlotte (AHL) this year! For perspective, and we know how many injuries and auditions we've gone through, I got us at 8...Bennett, Despres, Bortuzzo, MacIntyre, Smith, Reese, Tangradi, Eaton, (Zatkoff, DNP)
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

meow wrote:

I think you are forgetting these are real people. The Canes have nothing to lose or gain from this move, so why not make a feel good story to help the team moral a little bit.
I'm not forgetting these are real people. Not at all. I just don't get how this is a feel good story. How this helps team morale.

A team that has had a disasterous disappointment of a season is giving the youngest brother of their best player and their most overrated player a callup based solely on the fact that he is their brother. Whose morale does that help? Who does that give warm fuzzies to? The Staal family? Certainly not anyone else on the team.

This isn't a gritty vet getting a callup after years of hard work in the minors. This isn't a once promising player battling back from injury to return to the show. Those are feel good stories. Those are morale boosters. This is a player with ECHL level talent getting his name on the back of an NHL jersey based solely on that name.

I think its stupid and I think that its a stupid publicity stunt by the Canes to keep their "fans" caring about the last 2 games of this disasterous season for them. Does it bother me? Not really. Whats grinding my gears is the people saying "Ohh isn't that so sweet and heart warming! All but one of the little Staals get to play with each other. That's just so wonderful." It's a joke, thats all it is.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

Ok
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Durbano »

With a name like that, I'm surprised the writer doesn't work for the Ottawa Sun
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

I disagree with every single point that you've made
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

Idoit40fans wrote:I can't believe there are people with a problem with this. If you want to ignore that idea that they are doing a good thing, look at it as them making themselves more appealing to other players who want to trust that a team will look out for them rather than just trying to use them. You think players don't appreciate the way the Pens treat their players?
Once again, how is it a good thing? How are they looking out for anyone? On the simplest of levels, a highly undeserving player was called up to the NHL because his brothers play for that team. Where is the "good thing" in that?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Dickie Dunn wrote:I just don't get how this is a feel good story.
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013 ... -from-ahl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
According to Elias Sports (by way of Carolina PR man Mike Sundheim) the Staals are set to become just the fourth trio of brothers to play for the same team in the same season in NHL history:
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

meow wrote:I disagree with every single point that you've made
Then you know what its like to be completely wrong.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Are you drunk? I could have sworn that you weren't normally this outrageous when you post.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

Geez, wth is the big deal?
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Dickie Dunn wrote:
meow wrote:I disagree with every single point that you've made
Then you know what its like to be completely wrong.
You've got to be kidding me? Do you honestly believe that if you were on the Canes, you'd be mad that this move happens? You would be genuinely disgusted and feel zero happiness toward Jared or Jordan or your blood, sweat and tears captain Eric?