Honeymoon over for J Staal?

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Admin
Site Admin

Honeymoon over for J Staal?

Post by Admin »

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/04/23/ ... canes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Honeymoon over for J Staal?

Post by SolidSnake »

Wake up Sher.......
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

Dude got what he wanted. I'm not at all surprised he's struggling, although I can't explain exactly how I'm not surprised.

He'd never say he regrets his decision, but I'd be surprised if deep down he didn't. And, imo, he should.

I don't resent him for wanting to play with his brother, but I thought it was a stupid decision then and it's playing out to be a stupid decision now. I don't think he really thought it all through.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Last I cared enough to talk about him, people were telling me that he was looking good there even though he looked invisible. Lets be honest though, the Pens weren't keeping him if he didn't sign for like $5 million or less and he was able to make significantly more than that. I don't hold any ill will to him for leaving or for not signing the contract Shero offered him, but I also don't care what happens to him the rest of his career. He's not a guy that's affecting the overall NHL, so it doesn't matter to me if he becomes a 30-40 player or remains a 25-25 player.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

The Canes have recalled Jared Staal, expected to debut Thursday.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

I'm with Idoit...

However, I will stand and cheer for his video board tribute this Saturday night.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by IanMoran »

No ill will towards Jordan, but he clearly got undeserved hype because of name imo
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by IanMoran »

Gaucho wrote:The Canes have recalled Jared Staal, expected to debut Thursday.
What a gimmick / a joke. He doesn't deserve it
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

IanMoran wrote:
Massive understatement. He's a complete scrub.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

This is the last couple weeks of Jared Staal's NHL contract and it's unlikely he's going to get another one I think...so basically, this is only chance to play in the NHL with his brothers...it's nepotism and all that, but I'm alright with it really...how cool must that be...

Carolina has a way of keeping people in the organization, it really is a family there as far as I know, and this is just more of the same. Like it or lump it, it's a nice gesture. This is probably the only chance he'll ever get...I hope he gets a hat trick.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

If he put his name to paper, he'd be playing in pittsburgh for $6m per year. He signed the exact same contract in Carolina that Shero offered him.

Players always struggle after they sign for big bucks. I don't think he's going to suddenly blossom into a 40 goal guy, but he'll find his way in Carolina. That team always has big up and down years.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by IanMoran »

mikey287 wrote:This is the last couple weeks of Jared Staal's NHL contract and it's unlikely he's going to get another one I think...so basically, this is only chance to play in the NHL with his brothers...it's nepotism and all that, but I'm alright with it really...how cool must that be...

Carolina has a way of keeping people in the organization, it really is a family there as far as I know, and this is just more of the same. Like it or lump it, it's a nice gesture. This is probably the only chance he'll ever get...I hope he gets a hat trick.
Sorry, there's guys who deserve NHL experience (and could actually benefit from it) more than him... who are being robbed so he can play with his brothers. If I was him I wouldn't want to be part of the gimmick

Different opinions though

Pens never played Andrew Orpik, and I'm sure it would have been cool for him too
Last edited by IanMoran on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Dickie Dunn wrote:
IanMoran wrote:
borderline AHLer at best. There were quite a few when he played in Florida (ECHL) where Jared was a healthy scratch.

If it was only Eric in Carolina, this recall doesn't happen.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

IanMoran wrote:
mikey287 wrote:This is the last couple weeks of Jared Staal's NHL contract and it's unlikely he's going to get another one I think...so basically, this is only chance to play in the NHL with his brothers...it's nepotism and all that, but I'm alright with it really...how cool must that be...

Sorry, there's guys who deserve NHL experience (and could actually benefit from it) more than him... who are being robbed so he can play with his brothers. If I was him I wouldn't want to be part of the gimmick

the canes don't need to call anyone up so they aren't choosing him over some prospect. he's taking the place of Tim Wallace, who is probably happy to give the kid a nice memory and would benefit from more playing time about as much as i would. and the canes get warm fuzzy points, which doesn't exactly hurt things.

holy bizarre outrage batman
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

JS© wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:
IanMoran wrote:
borderline AHLer at best. There were quite a few when he played in Florida (ECHL) where Jared was a healthy scratch.

If it was only Eric in Carolina, this recall doesn't happen.
He belongs in the ECHL with Colby Armstrong's brother.
Spoiler:
Colby Armstrong also belongs in the ECHL with his brother.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

So

First games in NHL + plays Pens on Saturday + Flower in net = Jared is getting a goal Saturday night.

Grats to him.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Think of it as an investment in Eric and Jordan, not Jared.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Staalenfreude?
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by IanMoran »

shmenguin wrote:
IanMoran wrote:

the canes don't need to call anyone up so they aren't choosing him over some prospect. he's taking the place of Tim Wallace, who is probably happy to give the kid a nice memory and would benefit from more playing time about as much as i would. and the canes get warm fuzzy points, which doesn't exactly hurt things.

Lol, not outrage. Like I said, I understand the arguments for it, but I find it to be kind of embarrassing. O well, its just an opinion thing
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

It seems like a harmless gesture.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

Beveridge wrote:I'm with Idoit...

However, I will stand and cheer for his video board tribute this Saturday night.
I'll never forget his positive contributions, and if I were there, then I'd stand and cheer him, too. He had some amazing times here (understating a bit).

I'll just have another beer for him from afar. :wink:
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

shmenguin wrote:
IanMoran wrote:

I'm sure Tim Wallace would rather finish out the season in the NHL and collect $28,000 over the next four days than give the crappiest Staal brother a warm fuzzy feeling. He's not stupid. He knows he sucks. He knows why he's getting called up, and it has absolutely nothing to do with his lack of talent.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

pcm wrote:Think of it as an investment in Eric and Jordan, not Jared.
How? Those two are signed through 2016 and 2023. Are they going to pout and demand to be traded if the Hurricanes don't call up their hack brother?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

lol
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Who said Tim Wallace isn't still on the NHL roster?