Blackhawks aren't that good

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Blackhawks aren't that good

Post by mikey287 »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:The Blackhawks have gone to a shootout in 25% of their games (11 of 44) and won 6 of them. That's 16% of their total pts. coming from a skills competition-an unreal stat. Obviously they're a great team, but let's see what they do when they can't use the shootout as a crutch.
Alright, so let's call them ties...that knocks them all the way down to 67 points, right? Which is still easily the best in the West...even without doing the same for Anaheim (6 shootout wins), Vancouver (5 SOW), San Jose (8 SOW), St. Louis (5 SOW), Minnesota (4 SOW), Columbus (5 SOW)...the only playoff team not listed, Los Angeles (2 SOW)...

Versus their peers, their shootout win total isn't really much to talk about really, right?
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

mikey287 wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:The Blackhawks have gone to a shootout in 25% of their games (11 of 44) and won 6 of them. That's 16% of their total pts. coming from a skills competition-an unreal stat. Obviously they're a great team, but let's see what they do when they can't use the shootout as a crutch.
Alright, so let's call them ties...that knocks them all the way down to 67 points, right? Which is still easily the best in the West...even without doing the same for Anaheim (6 shootout wins), Vancouver (5 SOW), San Jose (8 SOW), St. Louis (5 SOW), Minnesota (4 SOW), Columbus (5 SOW)...the only playoff team not listed, Los Angeles (2 SOW)...

Versus their peers, their shootout win total isn't really much to talk about really, right?
I'm not saying that their shootout wins raise a red flag of sorts...it's just odd that the supposed best team in the league has needed to go to the shootout to get it done in 11 games this season. This would suggest either they're using the shootout as a crutch because they know they can do well in it, or they have a difficult time of closing teams out (or it's an anomaly, but I would suggest it's one of the two former reasons). The Blackhawks obviously pass the eyeball test, I'm not disputing their dominance over the West, but I'm also saying that they might not be unbeatable for some Western teams in a 7 game series. I have noticed that the West in general has had a ton of games go to the shootout.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Right, the West exhibits a better, more structured brand of hockey and as a result, more games end in a tie. If the Blackhawks had way more SOW than everyone, then sure, it's a reasonable point (it's not even unreasonable now)...but every playoff team in the West is in the same boat. The shootout, in this case, is just an unfortunate by-product of a well-played game...
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Interesting stat about the SOW.

Didn't the Blackhawks also have the largest goal differential in the league?

If so, that's a bit of a statistical anonmoly.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

By a wide margin, Western teams have gained more points from OT (regular and SO) losses.
If nothing else, it indicates a greater level of parity.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

I would still like to see someone break a stick off Patrick Kane's face for his ridiculous shootout attempts
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Vegas disagrees.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/nhl/odds/futures/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pugilist13 »

Hawks are very solid. I've been waiting all season for their goaltending to crash and burn and it hasn't happened. The playoffs are a whole different animal though.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

I'd love to see how well Chicago would play without Toews, Kane, Hossa and Keith... heh
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB ... 9#p2328812" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I'm pretty glad I missed this thread over the weekend. I probably would have wasted far too much time in here when, in reality, I should have known to stop reading at:
marek wrote:Easy division.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by marek »

Kraftster wrote:I'm pretty glad I missed this thread over the weekend. I probably would have wasted far too much time in here when, in reality, I should have known to stop reading at:
marek wrote:Easy division.
um yeah...
St. Louis 54 (results so far vs 3-2 W, 3-0 W, 4-3 SOL, 2-0 W)
Columbus 51 (3-2 W, 1-0 W, 4-3 OTW, 2-1 SOW)
Detroit 50 (2-1 OTW, 2-1 SOW, 7-1 W, 3-2 SOW)
Nashville 39 (3-0 W, 3-2 SOW, 1-0 W, 5-3 W, 5-4 OTW)

one win in which they didn't have their hands completely full.
10 one goal or overtime W games?!?!?!?! yes thats an easy division.
only two of the divisional foes will make the playoffs.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

One of the few, perhaps only (when it's all done) division with four playoff teams is the bad one...? Anyone that watches the West isn't buying what you're selling unfortunately...maybe try explaining it differently...?
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

He's trying to convince himself to put money on the Blackhawks getting upset in the first round.

Just let him lose his $.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Man, I can't wait until the Blackhawks beat the Penguins in six games to win the Stanley Cup and we can all look back on this thread and laugh.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Yeah, I just don't see any rationale for saying the Hawks aren't good. None.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by joopen »

Psh... They let Luc Robataille tie the game as time expired... They soff
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

They let Brad Tolliver beat the **** out of their guys
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by marek »

mikey287 wrote:One of the few, perhaps only (when it's all done) division with four playoff teams is the bad one...? Anyone that watches the West isn't buying what you're selling unfortunately...maybe try explaining it differently...?
Ok.. explained differently. And I probably should have titled the thread differently...

The Blackhawks aren't as good as their record says they are. The west isn't as strong as the east. I live here. I've seen more western games this season alone than most have in 3-4 years combined. If they actually played in the Pacific division and not in the central the Pens would have wrapped up the President's trophy last week.

their 0-3 vs Anaheim... they struggle against the Kings... they struggle against Vancouver... 1-2
they've had 16 overtime and/or shootout games... 8-10 of which were against non playoff teams (TBD as Detroit/columbus won't make it)...

and yes they just might lose the opening round against Minnesota of Columbus.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Penspal »

I will only look at the West when the Pens reach the final. I'd bet money they will make the final 4.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Shakes »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Yeah, I just don't see any rationale for saying the Hawks aren't good. None.
To be fair, he didn't say they aren't good. He says they're not that good.

I don't agree, but I'm in the group that has seen 60 minutes of them only 4-5 times. In those games, they just dominated the puck and looked every bit as good as they look on paper.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Post by Godric »

Duncan Keith is a sexist POS
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

marek wrote:
mikey287 wrote:One of the few, perhaps only (when it's all done) division with four playoff teams is the bad one...? Anyone that watches the West isn't buying what you're selling unfortunately...maybe try explaining it differently...?
Ok.. explained differently. And I probably should have titled the thread differently...

The Blackhawks aren't as good as their record says they are. The west isn't as strong as the east. I live here. I've seen more western games this season alone than most have in 3-4 years combined. If they actually played in the Pacific division and not in the central the Pens would have wrapped up the President's trophy last week.

their 0-3 vs Anaheim... they struggle against the Kings... they struggle against Vancouver... 1-2
they've had 16 overtime and/or shootout games... 8-10 of which were against non playoff teams (TBD as Detroit/columbus won't make it)...

and yes they just might lose the opening round against Minnesota of Columbus.
Respectfully, you didn't really explain anything.

The West is better than the East, and don't underestimate my West watching...I watch the West just as much as I watch the East.

The overtime thing was already addressed previously, it's a common thing for the West. Did you name the only teams that they've lost to and then call them on it...?

At least they're playoff teams...the Penguins are 0-2 against the Devils, struggled against Carolina, and pending the result tonight against Buffalo, they might be 1-2 against them. All non-playoff teams. Does that necessarily say anything about us?

How does the Atlantic stack up to the Central...?

I just don't understand the hate. If you said Anaheim, maybe, but Chicago looks every bit as good as their record, they play in a tough division, have a tough travel schedule, play in the tougher conference...it's just hard to figure out what this is all founded in...
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Fire0nice228 »

9 of the Pens 15 wins on the streak were by 1 goal...