Blackhawks aren't that good

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Blackhawks aren't that good

Post by marek »

Easy division. Shortened season. Weak conference.
Can barely beat Nashville on home ice.

Prediction: loses first round

Commentary anyone?
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Blackhawks aren't that good

Post by SolidSnake »

I think most are aware of my Blackhawks dislike. Chicago won't make it past LA.
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by marek »

Their forwards are slower than their defenseman... Can't see that working against a good forechecking team
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

Chicago won't beat a team that is physical. So, Anaheim and LA stick out. Columbus is not a good match-up for them either.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

- West > East
- Using one nationally televised game to make a sweeping generalization about a team's entire season is somewhat disingenuous
- Their forwards aren't slow and neither is their defense
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by marek »

mikey287 wrote:- West > East
- Using one nationally televised game to make a sweeping generalization about a team's entire season is somewhat disingenuous
- Their forwards aren't slow and neither is their defense
I'm stuck watching western conference nonsense every night... Their forwards are slow and yes slower than their D which is why they have trouble against a team that forces it behind their d... It's not based on one night or one game... The west is weak as hell. When Minnesota and potentially columbus is in the playoffs that's all the proof you need. Ding ding. Fights over. No contest.

Philly the 12th seeded team in the east would beat all 8 of the 8 teams in a 7 game series in the west right now.

Almost proved that last year.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Their D is extremely mobile, so it's not even an indictment to say their forwards are slower. They certainly aren't slower than we are up front...

They would have trouble if pucks got put behind them because their D doesn't win a ton of board battles...they use their terrific skating and ability to create transition offense to get out of trouble. If you take away the boards, they have a harder time exiting.

The West is better than the East top to bottom. It's just better hockey. The east is rather ragtag, somewhat sloppier most nights. As with most instances in NHL history, times when the competition is at its lowest is when GPG goes higher (WWII, heavy-expansion years, etc.). I'd bet dollars to donuts the East has a higher GPG than the West, which normally points to the West having higher quality hockey.

Minnesota? The team with a Norris candidate, the should-be Calder favorite, and a top line of Parise-Koivu-Pominville...they suck...but Ottawa...a team that lost Jason Spezza, Erik Karlsson and Craig Anderson (#1C, #1D, #1G) and throw in #1LW Milan Michalek for good measure is going to finish with the 4th or 5th best record in the Conference and their playoff berth was only in doubt the night Erik Karlsson got hurt otherwise they've just been chugging along just fine against their Eastern foes...Toronto, a team with the slowest defense in the league (maybe short of Colorado's, but that's not a real defense) and two backup goalies will take whatever spot Ottawa doesn't claim...

But yeah, they're good...Minnesota and Columbus blow...

Since we're naming teams on reputation (Philadelphia, who are just plain awful at hockey...this lineup they have now would struggle against 10th place Dallas in a best of 7 series, much less all 8 teams in the West...which is probably one of the most ridiculous things said on this board ever, and that's high praise...) what about Detroit? They aren't even good enough to make the playoffs in that conference...and they aren't even bad...they aren't good...but that's an average team and they might not make it in that Conference.

Meanwhile, the Islanders and the Thrashers have a shot to make it in the East...

But yeah, the Flyers, who have given up more goals than every team in the West except Calgary and Colorado...yeah, they'd take'em all down...they can't even pass the puck to center ice because of their defense...their transition attack is led by Bruno Gervais and Erik Gustafsson...the Blackhawks would beat them so bad the Flyers would be relegated to the AHL...
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

mikey287 wrote:Stuff about the B'hawks being good, talented teams sucking, and sucky teams playing awesome ...the Blackhawks would beat them so bad the Flyers would be relegated to the AHL...
Yes, please. (Please?)
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

marek wrote:
Philly the 12th seeded team in the east would beat all 8 of the 8 teams in a 7 game series in the west right now.

The Hawks will now make it to the Finals just to spite you.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Outstanding mikey
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

We shall see.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

The Blackhawks are the only team who I think can beat the Pens in a 7 game series in either conference even if the Pens play at their best. Even with that being the case, I would love to play them in the SCF, would be an awesome series.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Fire0nice228 »

Philly would beat anyone in a 7 game series right now?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

skullman80 wrote:The Blackhawks are the only team who I think can beat the Pens in a 7 game series in either conference even if the Pens play at their best. Even with that being the case, I would love to play them in the SCF, would be an awesome series.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

Fire0nice228 wrote:Philly would beat anyone in a 7 game series right now?
I'm not even sure they could beat Florida or Colorado in a 7 game series.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

The Islanders and Jets are having a good season that's going off the reputation thing again, just because they are making the playoffs doesn't mean the west is so much better then the east.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

The Jets stink...and the Isles aren't all that much better...certainly not better than a team like Detroit...
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Post by Tim Thomasen »

skullman80 wrote:The Blackhawks are the only team who I think can beat the Pens in a 7 game series in either conference even if the Pens play at their best. Even with that being the case, I would love to play them in the SCF, would be an awesome series.
I disagree Skullie. I think the Pens got got enough defense and goaltending that can outlast the Blackhawks in a 7 game series should they meet in the SCF. Don't sell the Pens short in that series.

But I will agree though that it would be an awesome series. Two great teams that play an exciting style of hockey playing in the SCF. Man. It would be great for the fans but great for ratings as well.

Also well said Mikey. I think the Hawks could be upset by a team like Columbus (keywork "could"), but their not a fluke team and they got talent. Good post.

Also Philly couldn't beat a a AHL playoff team let alone a NHL playoff team. That's just a awful team that doesn't scare anyone.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Yeah, the Blackhawks aren't like a super team or anything...but they can play some serious puck...they shouldn't be overlooked because someone has their conferences confused...

St. Louis and Los Angeles will give them some serious trouble, IMO. Odds are, they have to play at least one of them and it should be a good series.

Anaheim is a team that is ripe for a first round upset...their depth could be exploited over the course of a seven game series I think...I'm not sure what we'll get out of them in the playoffs to be honest...tough team to read...they're playing over their heads, but offensively...it's a weird bird in the NHL today and I have trouble reading its sustainability...
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by André »

marek wrote:Philly the 12th seeded team in the east would beat all 8 of the 8 teams in a 7 game series in the west right now.
This has to be listed on some LGP wall of fame somewhere.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

André wrote:
marek wrote:Philly the 12th seeded team in the east would beat all 8 of the 8 teams in a 7 game series in the west right now.
wall of shame maybe...
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

André wrote:
I'm thinking a Blackhawks/Flyers matchup today would reassemble the Cup Final matchup of a couple of years ago in only one respect, Blackhawks win.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

I don't watch nearly enough Western conference games to make a judgment about the comparative quality of the conferences, but in the 3 or 4 Hawks games I've seen, they've looked fantastic. I share the sentiment that they're the only team in the league I would favor against a full-strength Pens team in a 7-game series.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

I agree with mikey287 that west > east, but the central diving is fairly weak this season.

That said, I'm not sure I see a team out there right now that could take 4 of 7 from a healthy Penguins team.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

The Blackhawks have gone to a shootout in 25% of their games (11 of 44) and won 6 of them. That's 16% of their total pts. coming from a skills competition-an unreal stat. Obviously they're a great team, but let's see what they do when they can't use the shootout as a crutch.