Where my fellow cooks at???

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Post by cheesesteakwithegg »

shafnutz05 wrote:
cheesesteakwithegg wrote:Thanks for the tips everyone. I am going to get rid of the egg, as its pretty apparent I dont need it. What about freezing them? Is it worth making a bunch and freezing them, or am I better off just pulling the meat out of the freezer and making fresh burgers each time I want one?
The only thing is, I've read not-so-good things about seasoning meat before you freeze it. So you are going to have to season the meat anyway, and the only step you are skipping is making the patty after the fact.
Makes sense. I wouldnt be saving much time by making them fresh each time, though with a 2 year old and another one coming in 8 weeks, I am trying to streamline my life as much as possible, lol.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I'd just do plain meat. We have these tupperware containers that stack on top of each other and hold burgers. Pretty slick
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Ridiculously broad question:

I'll be in SF for work next week.....any restaurant recommendations?
(I'll be in Union Square area downtown.)
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

columbia wrote:Ridiculously broad question:

Colibri Mexican Bistro is good. Johnny Foley's is a really fun Irish pub with great Irish grub.

I've never been, but I have heard great things about the Leatherneck Steakhouse, on the top floor of the Marine Club there. Very reasonably priced and great views of SF.

Edit: Aforementioned view:
Spoiler:
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Head to Chinatown for dim sum. Little noodle dumplings filled with pure tasty goodness. Hard to find in a city that doesn't have a big Chinese population.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

shafnutz05 wrote:
cheesesteakwithegg wrote:Thanks for the tips everyone. I am going to get rid of the egg, as its pretty apparent I dont need it. What about freezing them? Is it worth making a bunch and freezing them, or am I better off just pulling the meat out of the freezer and making fresh burgers each time I want one?
The only thing is, I've read not-so-good things about seasoning meat before you freeze it. So you are going to have to season the meat anyway, and the only step you are skipping is making the patty after the fact.
Yes, I wouldn't freeze meat that has been seasoned unless you're able to flash freeze immediately after applying the salt. If you freeze conventionally, the salt will be acting on the core of the ball of meat while the outer bits freeze. Basically, when you thaw you'll have a pretty sloppy mess on your hands and it will difficult to get a pleasing texture with the cooked product.

And don't ditch the egg.... just fry it and use it as a burger topping. 8-)
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Mission Chinese, Incanto (or Cosentino's more casual salumeria Boccalone in the Ferry Building Marketplace [which is where the Sat AM farmers market is, too]), and of course the Tonga Room & Hurricane Bar in the Fairmont Hotel. I'd recommend Chez Panisse, too, but it's apparently closed until the end of May.

Of course, if you're able to get out of the city - north or south - there are some other recommendations as well.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Made a BLT Pizza last night. used mayo, garlic powder and chopped onions as the sauce, baked it with cheese and added bacon, lettuce, tomatoes after it came it. Worked out really well.

shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

emergency question: i'm making fried shrimp tonight. i see you're supposed to soak them in buttermilk for a while before cooking. we're milk-free in the shmenguin household. is there a mik analogue i can use? maybe coconut milk?
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

An egg wash should work.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

For a binder yeah, but allegedly there's something about a buttermilk soak that elevates the shrimp. I think it's related to the lactic acid.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

The intertubes says that you wouldn't be the first to do that.....I imagine it would meet your needs.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

columbia wrote:The intertubes says that you wouldn't be the first to do that.....I imagine it would meet your needs.
Columbia... when you leaving for SF? My company HQ is out there and I was just at the Hilton on Union Square in January. I can give you some good places to eat.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I'll be there T-F nights.
Hook me up with any info. :)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

columbia wrote:I'll be there T-F nights.
Hook me up with any info. :)
Let me compile it up for ya... you like vietnamese? Awesome stuff (cheap too) in Little Siagon.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Yes, please.....I'm going to look into some of the places mentioned above, also.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

If you're in the Union Square area, there was a great little Thai place on Post St iirc. Yum.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Tonight's menu was pfefferschnitzel with potato pancakes and a cold Weihenstephaner to wash it all down. ausgezeichnet.
Gabe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Gabe »

the wicked child wrote:Tonight's menu was pfefferschnitzel with potato pancakes and a cold Weihenstephaner to wash it all down. ausgezeichnet.

Gesundheit
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Gabe wrote:
the wicked child wrote:Tonight's menu was pfefferschnitzel with potato pancakes and a cold Weihenstephaner to wash it all down. ausgezeichnet.

Gesundheit
Comes out loose.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Nothing fancy, just using up the belly side from last week's salmon, and capitalizing on a trip to the local Korean market and IKEA.

Miso Salmon with Purple Yam Mash and Scallion Sauce
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

tifosi77 wrote:

Mission Chinese, Incanto (or Cosentino's more casual salumeria Boccalone in the Ferry Building Marketplace [which is where the Sat AM farmers market is, too]), and of course the Tonga Room & Hurricane Bar in the Fairmont Hotel. I'd recommend Chez Panisse, too, but it's apparently closed until the end of May.

Of course, if you're able to get out of the city - north or south - there are some other recommendations as well.
Boccalone just happened.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Report, please.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

Had an amazing meal tonight. If you find yourself on the Big Island of Hawaii and are anywhere near Waikoloa Beach, GO TO ROY'S! That's an order. The food and service were impeccable and the prices very reasonable for what you get. We did the pre-fixe and started with an appetizer sampler, braised short ribs and macadamia nut crusted local catch with demi-glace and lobster sauce, potatoes au gratin and asparagus. Chocolate lava cake and pineapple upside down cake were desserts. All i know is that I wish I could figure out how to braise short ribs like that, ****ing goodness were they amazing and don't even get me started on the lobster sauce. Last time we were here, i figured out how to copy-cat my favorite dish of the trip. I have a new challenge. :thumb:
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

I made crab cakes last night. Man they were good. I don't know why I haven't done this before. Crab meat was about $20 for a pound and it made 4 big cakes. That's pretty good value. It was almost as good as any cake I've gotten from a restaurant. I'll be doing this again, yes.