Edmonton Oilers GM Steve Tambellini gets the ax

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Edmonton Oilers GM Steve Tambellini gets the ax

Post by Tim Thomasen »

Former Oilers coach Craig MacTavish will take over as GM and Scott Howson returns to Edmonton as Senior Vice President of Hockey Operations.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... --nhl.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Edmonton Oilers GM Steve Tambellini gets the ax

Post by Idoit40fans »

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=420813" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wat?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Why does edmonton keep recycling garbage? Howson, Lowe, Renney, etc.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

No clue why they're hiring Scott Howson in any capability :face:
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

canaan wrote:Why does edmonton keep recycling garbage? Howson, Lowe, Renney, etc.
It's part of their strategy for remaining semi-inept, but not the worst franchise in Alberta.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

MRandall25 wrote:No clue why they're hiring Scott Howson in any capability :face:
They've always liked Howson, AIUI. They were sad to see him go to Columbus and quickly snatched him back up when he was canned.

This move is really curious...it seems like nothing will change really...it's believed that Kevin Lowe is still pulling the strings in Edmonton, like Bobby Clarke in Philadelphia somewhat. The Oilers really needed - in my opinion - a fresh look at this thing. Instead, they're just rotating recyclables here...Tambo needed to go, but this is a curious move...decent timing, but I'm not sure this is the right choice. Seems like a lot of smoke and mirrors to me at first glance...
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

I don't know, Tambellini has taken a pretty cautious approach to that teams development and I can hardly say he deserves to get fired. He's drafted well (not hard), signed Shultz, and generally not messed anything up yet. I guess its just a matter of Lowe and Co nut trusting him from here out to tinker with the team and build it into a championship caliber one.

MacTavish sounds like he's going to go big, probably used Shero as an example in his interview... It is a big offseason, with a stocked draft, compliance buyouts, and the best UFA crop in a while. So I can see why they think this is the year to aim high.

But all that said, I think Burnside nails it on the head, with a ruthless article about Lowe pulling the strings. It's all about the culture of the organization... http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/2 ... -promotion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;