Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by ExPatriatePen »

ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

stinky wrote:
On a side note, I am curious to hear bikers pet peeves of us car drives? Besides of course, turning in front of you..
Why nothing at all. We're a loving peaceful people. :)
stinky
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by stinky »

Well played sir, well played. :fist:
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

My local Giant Eagle won't let you use the self checkout machines unless you have an Advantage card. I have one but never carry it with me because I hate having my wallet filled up with that crap and their machines won't recognize the virtual wallet app on my phone. So, I'm pretty much never going to GE again. How a corporation thinks it's a smart idea to put barriers up to their customers giving them money is beyond me.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Hockeynut! wrote:My local Giant Eagle won't let you use the self checkout machines unless you have an Advantage card. I have one but never carry it with me because I hate having my wallet filled up with that crap and their machines won't recognize the virtual wallet app on my phone. So, I'm pretty much never going to GE again. How a corporation thinks it's a smart idea to put barriers up to their customers giving them money is beyond me.
That is actually really weird. Since the advantage card is nothing more than a probe into your life, I don't understand why they would strong arm consumers into a tool that while nice to have isn't THAT important. I would rather all my customers have them, but there is no way I would restrict conveniences to those that don't.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Hockeynut! wrote:My local Giant Eagle won't let you use the self checkout machines unless you have an Advantage card. I have one but never carry it with me because I hate having my wallet filled up with that crap and their machines won't recognize the virtual wallet app on my phone. So, I'm pretty much never going to GE again. How a corporation thinks it's a smart idea to put barriers up to their customers giving them money is beyond me.
Can't you input your phone number if you forget your card?
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

I know the cashiers can look up a card that way, but the self checkout machines have never given me that option before. Maybe I just didn't look though.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

do you not have the little thing to hang from your keys?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Woah....Family board bro....
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Admin wrote:
Can't you input your phone number if you forget your card?
When I know I don't have a card, rather than just come right out and say it at the checkout, I will sheepishly punch in my wife and I's phone numbers and look perturbed that the card doesn't have our number on file.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

So there's all sorts of stuff going on this week on campus to raise awareness of sexual assult/rape. I agree with the entirety of the message, don't rape people. I think any sane, logical, normal person would be able to come to that conclusion without the need for an awareness week. That is why it's sort of an irrational pet peeve. I agree with the message, but they're definitely not hitting the correct audience by being on campus and handing out pamphlets, tshirts, and doing things like having men walk in high heels for a "Walk a mile in her shoes" walk. Most people smile, laugh, agree and go about their day. This really isn't going to stop a rapist from raping. Or maybe it will and I just don't see it.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cheesesteakwithegg »

I hate it when I get on an elevator and turn to the right to select what floor that I want transported to and the buttons are on the left. And vice versa.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

count2infinity wrote:do you not have the little thing to hang from your keys?
I prefer to keep my keychain uncluttered.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by ExPatriatePen »

There's an APP for that :pop:
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

I've never had any luck with a GE self checkout machine being able to scan the barcode on a variety of apps I've tried. One of the employees told me it was a "security measure". Besides, I usually don't have my phone with either. :lol:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by ExPatriatePen »

People who call you up and when you answer they immediately place *you* on hold.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

My mom and her cell phone habits. She will call me and, after we hang up, I'll get another call 5 seconds later but this time I'll be talking to myself while listening to her phone moving around in her purse. MOOOOOOOOOOOOOM. Goddammit. HANG UUUUUUUUP. Jesus Christ, she did it again. HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I'll get frustrated myself and turn my phone off. Happens pretty much every week.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

This freaking bird sitting in my window going squeek squeek squeek.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

ExPatriatePen wrote:People who call you up and when you answer they immediately place *you* on hold.
Telemarketer?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Admin wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:People who call you up and when you answer they immediately place *you* on hold.
Telemarketer?
No... believe it or not, it was my boss making me an offer for a better position.

We like you well enough to give you a promotion, but not so much that we'll give you our undivided attention.

He was on the other line with the company "help desk" because his MS Outlook wasn't working correctly.

Go figure.
Last edited by ExPatriatePen on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

That bastard! ;)
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Do business.
Spray air freshener.
Walk under mist.
Get air freshener on head/clothes.
???
Dammit.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

The Iggle at Settler's Ridge always fights with me at the self-checkout. It either tells me that I need to place the item in the bagging area when it's already there, or it gives me some warning about the item's weight does not match the item scanned. As a customer using those things, I have three things that I am responsible for doing: scanning, bagging, paying. If your gear is out of calibration, that is not my problem.

The pet peeve here is the amount of time wasted waiting for somebody to correct this "problem" that was caused by their equipment. It probably takes twice as long for that person to come over as it did for me to scan my items.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

regarding the self check out and pet peeves: the giant eagle associate who sits in their ivory tower overseeing all the registers and 'responding' to the help calls. we were scanning something the other day and it said that person had to trigger something so our assistance light started flashing. we waited for about 3 minutes. fiancee then went over to talk to said associate in ivory tower who did not look up at my lovely fiancee. she stood there for about 25 more seconds, no one said anything, then the associate hopped off their dusty, rickety chariot and waddled over to our station. she flashed her little badge and then we were free to move about our business.

if you are going to provide this service, at least be responsive to the help signals.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:regarding the self check out and pet peeves: the giant eagle associate who sits in their ivory tower overseeing all the registers and 'responding' to the help calls. we were scanning something the other day and it said that person had to trigger something so our assistance light started flashing. we waited for about 3 minutes. fiancee then went over to talk to said associate in ivory tower who did not look up at my lovely fiancee. she stood there for about 25 more seconds, no one said anything, then the associate hopped off their dusty, rickety chariot and waddled over to our station. she flashed her little badge and then we were free to move about our business.

if you are going to provide this service, at least be responsive to the help signals.
Good to see I'm not the only one with this pet peeve :fist: