GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by eddysnake »

BadHands71 wrote:
eddysnake wrote:looking for a good witbier, any suggestions? Used to drink Great Lakes Holy Moses a lot, but I don't think it's being brewed anymore. usually get a case of hoegaarden once weather breaks, but looking for something different.
Holy Moses won't be out til this summer. Try Mission Hefeweizen or Flying dog In Heat Wheat or Woody Creek Wit.
So they still bottle it? Thanks for the other suggestions!

Is Allagash White available most places?
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

My local beer lover's paradise (TJ's) just got several cases of this in:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/4/88817

Kraftster, you ever had this? I can't wait to try it.....$14/bottle though :shock:
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

If anyone is in the Rochester, PA area, check out Hollywood Gardens. It looks like a dive bar from the outside but they actually have pretty good food and a really good draft list and bottled beer menu. I am not sure about this but I think the owner is affiliated with Brixton Brewing also located in Rochester and will hand out samples of beer if you ask.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

shafnutz05 wrote:My local beer lover's paradise (TJ's) just got several cases of this in:

Kraftster, you ever had this? I can't wait to try it.....$14/bottle though :shock:
My god. I hate you.

No, I've never had that. I've never had any of the stuff that Allagash is doing in 375ML bottles. I just finally tried my first Allagash bottles at Theresa's in Wayne last month. You can't the good stuff out here. It has to be the best (only?) East coast brewery doing American Wild Ales/sours.

$14 for 375 ML is steep. That's basically RR prices in Philly, I think? (we pay $20+/375ML in Pittsburgh). Figuring that RR comes from California and Allagash from Maine, that means this stuff is just as pricey or more pricey than RR. Can almost guarantee its worth it, though.

At least you can get Allagash stuff. Ho1kB has Curieux and occasionally the Dubbel. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll get the FV 13 for the sour tasting later this month.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

don't forget that Pittsburgh Craft Beer Week is starting on April 19th and runs until the 27th.

http://pittsburghcraftbeerweek.com/calendar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

eddysnake wrote:
Nope. No where around Pittsburgh.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Kraftster wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:My local beer lover's paradise (TJ's) just got several cases of this in:

My god. I hate you.

No, I've never had that. I've never had any of the stuff that Allagash is doing in 375ML bottles. I just finally tried my first Allagash bottles at Theresa's in Wayne last month. You can't the good stuff out here. It has to be the best (only?) East coast brewery doing American Wild Ales/sours.

$14 for 375 ML is steep. That's basically RR prices in Philly, I think? (we pay $20+/375ML in Pittsburgh). Figuring that RR comes from California and Allagash from Maine, that means this stuff is just as pricey or more pricey than RR. Can almost guarantee its worth it, though.

At least you can get Allagash stuff. Ho1kB has Curieux and occasionally the Dubbel. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll get the FV 13 for the sour tasting later this month.
I just hit my sister up to ask her to buy some if she see's any at here beer places in MD.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Also, shaf, having TJ's and Theresa's in your backyard is not fair. I'd be broke if I lived there.

Edit: I was just looking at TJ's list and "in the pipeline," if you try the FV 13 and you like it (not sure how into sours you are), you have to get the Allagash Interlude when it comes on draft. It was awesome.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Kraftster wrote:Also, shaf, having TJ's and Theresa's in your backyard is not fair. I'd be broke if I lived there.

Edit: I was just looking at TJ's list and "in the pipeline," if you try the FV 13 and you like it (not sure how into sours you are), you have to get the Allagash Interlude when it comes on draft. It was awesome.
TJ's is an incredible place (and has an awesome website). I can actually walk to TJ's, it's about a 10 minute walk from my front door. I'll report back on the FV 13.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Kraftster wrote:
eddysnake wrote:
Nope. No where around Pittsburgh.
I've picked that up at D's before, but that was a few years ago.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Oops. That's awesome.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

MWB wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:heh, i didn't know the KBS was different than the regular founders breakfast stout. i must now find this KBS.
KBS is really good, but Founders Breakfast Stout is nearly as good as KBS IMO, with 5% of the hassle of getting it.
I like the breakfast(got a 4 pack for $6 a month ago), but have come to love barrel ages stouts, so really want this one.

Does anyone know of legit beer trading/buying websites?
A place near me has a case of KBS that they are not selling until the 22nd. I plan to get there well before open. Also, if you like barrel age stouts, do yourself a favor and try to find Innis & Gunn Irish Whiskey Cask... Ireland import that is excellent, and not overly expensive as far as these beers go.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Thanks, I'll look for that. I'll be checking out the lets pour site as well, Kraftster.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Lagunitas IPA is decent, not great. Very mellow up front (a little too mellow), but a nice finish.
letsgoalpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by letsgoalpens »

shafnutz05 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:heh, i didn't know the KBS was different than the regular founders breakfast stout. i must now find this KBS.
KBS is really good, but Founders Breakfast Stout is nearly as good as KBS IMO, with 5% of the hassle of getting it.
I don't entirely disagree with this. KBS blew my mind the first time I had it. I went to a beer bar I used to go to all the time and got to know the bartenders and waitstaff pretty well. I walked in and one of the servers said "I know why you are here" which surprised me because I was not there for any particular reason. She told me they just tapped a keg of KBS, which I had never even heard of before, and told me I HAD to get it instantly. I wanted to get a few other beers first and told her I would probably come back later in the week and get some. She assured me it would be gone by the end of the night and brought me a glass instead of letting me get what I want. I drank it knowing nothing of the hype and was completely blown away. I ended up ordering 3 more glasses after that. It is the best beer I have ever had (although I do have a bottle of CBS I haven't cracked open yet). I am so happy she introduced me to that beer but curse her name because now every march/april I get stuck trying to hunt some down.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Aaaaaand they are out of FV13.

That LetsPour site is cool, but holy crap it seems like a total ripoff. $39 for a 6 pack of Dogfish Head Chicory Stout?
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

Bought a Blue Moon sampler case because it was $17 at Sam's Club. I've stayed away from this brand for a while, but couldn't beat this price...

The ubiquitous Belgian White is actually quite good. I was surprised, I'd have it again.

The other 3, I wouldn't feed to my cat. Belgian Pale Ale, Winter Abbey, Spiced Amber...stay away. They all tasted quite tangy and sugary.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

eddysnake wrote:
BadHands71 wrote:
eddysnake wrote:looking for a good witbier, any suggestions? Used to drink Great Lakes Holy Moses a lot, but I don't think it's being brewed anymore. usually get a case of hoegaarden once weather breaks, but looking for something different.
Holy Moses won't be out til this summer. Try Mission Hefeweizen or Flying dog In Heat Wheat or Woody Creek Wit.

Allagash White is exceptional. I will have to try the FV 13.

Welcome to Maine!
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

shafnutz05 wrote:Aaaaaand they are out of FV13.

That LetsPour site is cool, but holy crap it seems like a total ripoff. $39 for a 6 pack of Dogfish Head Chicory Stout?
They ship out of Washington, Colorado, and Florida. To get East coast stuff, you're basically paying distribution costs to west coast plus shipping/mark u up costs from the site.

If you compare the prices on the west coast stuff with what you'd pay, it's reasonable or even cheaper. The utility of a site like that is going to be limited living in a great beer city like Philly, though.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Wasn't there a Philly is the best beer city in America conversation?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

pfim wrote:
eddysnake wrote:
BadHands71 wrote:

Allagash White is exceptional. I will have to try the FV 13.

Welcome to Maine!
pfim, do you know of any good (Allagash carrying) bottle shops between Phippsburg and Freeport?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

columbia wrote:Wasn't there a Philly is the best beer city in America conversation?
Yes. In keeping with tradition, it didn't win the title. :pop:
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

Kraftster wrote:
pfim, do you know of any good (Allagash carrying) bottle shops between Phippsburg and Freeport?
I don't, very easy to find in Maine though...
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

southern tier just tweeted the new beer coming out., 2x Steam seasonal double uncommon(whatever that means) 8 percent
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Firestone Walker's California Pale Ale. Good stuff.