GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
letsgoalpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by letsgoalpens »

MWB wrote:Anyone score any KBS this year? Was out of town when it was released and struck out.
I got ONE bottle this year. Three of the beer stores I was going to get some from simply did not get any this year. The one beer store I used to go to all the time (but will not any longer) refused to sell me any. I was there before they opened because i knew the delivery would come before the store opened. As I drove up I actually had to wait a minute or two for the delivery trucks to leave. As I pulled around I saw two guys who each had a four-pack walking towards their cars. When I went inside I asked for some KBS and the guy told me the trucks hadn't come yet. I laughed and told him I saw the delivery trucks and two people who already bought theirs. He then told me they were sold out. I know one of the girls who works there and she told me they had some but were only giving it to their big spenders. Totally fine if that is their policy, but no need to lie. Crazy what this beer makes people do. Still have three bottles left from last year but was hoping to get a lot more than 1 bottle this year. Oh well.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Duquense LT is surprisingly not bad for a light beer.

For all of you number counters, 96 calories and 3.2 carbs per bottle.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Hmm. The 90 Minute is the only one I know I've had. I've had a few Sierra Nevadas, but don't think I've had the Celebration Ale. I've had one Lagunitas beer and I don''t think it was the straight IPA. It was good though.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I've tried 6 of them in that slide show... need to try some more I suppose.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

looking for a good witbier, any suggestions? Used to drink Great Lakes Holy Moses a lot, but I don't think it's being brewed anymore. usually get a case of hoegaarden once weather breaks, but looking for something different.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

shafnutz05 wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/0 ... 38362.html

I've only tried 4-5 of these.
I really like the Lagunitas, always end up going back to that.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

The Sculpin is absolutely amazing. Great Divide Titan is solid as well. Celebration isn't your typical IPA (more balanced), but also great.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Interesting list. I've only had a few of those and just picked up the Lagunitas a couple days ago. Surprised to see Celebration on there. However, any ipa list that doesn't include Heady Topper, and to a lesser extent Alchemy Hour and Founders Centennial, is lacking, IMO.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

MWB wrote:Interesting list. I've only had a few of those and just picked up the Lagunitas a couple days ago. Surprised to see Celebration on there. However, any ipa list that doesn't include Heady Topper, and to a lesser extent Alchemy Hour and Founders Centennial, is lacking, IMO.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: x10000

not to mention fathead's headhunter....
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

eddysnake wrote:looking for a good witbier, any suggestions? Used to drink Great Lakes Holy Moses a lot, but I don't think it's being brewed anymore. usually get a case of hoegaarden once weather breaks, but looking for something different.
If you're talking Wit and not Hefeweizens, then I suggest either Hoegaarden or Victory Whirlwind.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Shyster wrote:Bought a mix case of Goose Island beers. I see now that Goose Island has been purchased by Anheuser-Busch InBev, and indeed the beers are from a A-B plant in New York. Still, they’re not bad at all. So far, the 312 wheat ale is crisp and refreshing (although a little lacking in those wheat-beer banana esters for my taste), and the IPA was pleasantly hoppy. I’ve yet to try the Honkers Ale or Summertime.
the Honkers is their flagship. pretty solid. My brother lives out in chicago and said the quality has stepped down some, but its still a solid beverage. i was in the distributor last week and saw they were promoting GI and was really shocked that they were purchased by inbev (although i guess it happened a couple of years back). i fear a similar fate for Ommegang
IamtheWaris
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by IamtheWaris »

MWB wrote:Anyone score any KBS this year? Was out of town when it was released and struck out.
I replied 30 minutes after receiving an email notifying it was in. They had sold out in 15 minutes.
IamtheWaris
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by IamtheWaris »

MWB wrote:Interesting list. I've only had a few of those and just picked up the Lagunitas a couple days ago. Surprised to see Celebration on there. However, any ipa list that doesn't include Heady Topper, and to a lesser extent Alchemy Hour and Founders Centennial, is lacking, IMO.
Exluding the Russian River offerings destroys any credibility of that list. Also missing is my favorite Ruination IPA.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Sadly, I've never had any of the Russian River. Ruination is another good one.

I thought the KBS was going to be more widely distributed this year. Maybe it was and it just still got grabbed quickly, but the places I checked each got one case.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

the wicked child wrote:
eddysnake wrote:looking for a good witbier, any suggestions? Used to drink Great Lakes Holy Moses a lot, but I don't think it's being brewed anymore. usually get a case of hoegaarden once weather breaks, but looking for something different.
If you're talking Wit and not Hefeweizens, then I suggest either Hoegaarden or Victory Whirlwind.
We usually get Hoegaarden, looking for something different. Whirlwind is pretty good, forgot about that one
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

IamtheWaris wrote:
Exluding the Russian River offerings destroys any credibility of that list. Also missing is my favorite Ruination IPA.
Yeah, I'm not a big IPA fan at all, but that list looks to be lacking some must-haves.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Liberals....they even ruin beer conversations.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

heh, i didn't know the KBS was different than the regular founders breakfast stout. i must now find this KBS.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Ho1kB auctioned off baskets a few weekends ago, each containing one bottle of KBS and three bottles of other stuff. I think I heard that the cheapest any went was like $25.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

shmenguin wrote:heh, i didn't know the KBS was different than the regular founders breakfast stout. i must now find this KBS.
KBS is really good, but Founders Breakfast Stout is nearly as good as KBS IMO, with 5% of the hassle of getting it.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

shafnutz05 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:heh, i didn't know the KBS was different than the regular founders breakfast stout. i must now find this KBS.
KBS is really good, but Founders Breakfast Stout is nearly as good as KBS IMO, with 5% of the hassle of getting it.
That's good to know.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

shafnutz05 wrote:
I like the breakfast(got a 4 pack for $6 a month ago), but have come to love barrel ages stouts, so really want this one.

Does anyone know of legit beer trading/buying websites?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

MWB wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:
I like the breakfast(got a 4 pack for $6 a month ago), but have come to love barrel ages stouts, so really want this one.

Does anyone know of legit beer trading/buying websites?
http://www.letspour.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for buying

Actually one of the first beers I saw on there today is Port Brewing Older Viscosity Aged in Oak Barrels, which is supposed to be a great barrell aged stout.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

Holy Moses won't be out til this summer. Try Mission Hefeweizen or Flying dog In Heat Wheat or Woody Creek Wit.