Electronics policy at PNC Arena

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Electronics policy at PNC Arena

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

My six year old son and I attended the Canes-Pens game at PNC Arena last night. We stayed at a hotel within walking distance, and as it was 80F here yesterday, walked to the game.

My son had his Nintendo 3DS, which I didn't even notice he had in the rush to get to the arena. He likes taking pictures with it, and to keep him occupied during intermissions.

We were there early, so the security lines weren't bad (that might have been the problem), but the guy who checked us said Gameboys aren't allowed. Why, you ask? Because they are concerned about live streaming the game. The 3DS is a powerful system, but it doesn't have the specs to do any streaming. Besides, the mobile network is bogged during a game.

OK, that's fine, but my dual core 4G LTE phone, that could ostensibly stream the game in 1080p, IS allowed? He was apologetic and said it didn't make sense to him either.

So we had to walk back to the hotel and put it back.

Is this a league wide policy or just a PNC Arena policy? I'm going to do some research on it before I write a letter, either to the league or the Hurricanes.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Electronics policy at PNC Arena

Post by Idoit40fans »

Haha I was so confused by PNC Park for a minute. I was like...first time to Pittsburgh? Then I realized that the game was Away last night and there is in fact a PNC Arena. I don't think that policy is in play at Consol.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

Idoit40fans wrote:Haha I was so confused by PNC Park for a minute. I was like...first time to Pittsburgh? Then I realized that the game was Away last night and there is in fact a PNC Arena. I don't think that policy is in play at Consol.
I saw someone with an iPad at the last game recording video on it. So, I don't think that's the policy.
PensHckyFan79
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by PensHckyFan79 »

The last game I went to with my parents at CONSOL they "confiscated" my dads camera lens because the zoom was to powerful. I guess they are worried about us having quality pictures to take home and remember our fun time at the Pens hockey game. It was like middle school he got it back at the end of the game.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

With the way cellphones are nowadays, to me, this doesn't make sense. But I guess it's up to the arena.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

Kovy27 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Haha I was so confused by PNC Park for a minute. I was like...first time to Pittsburgh? Then I realized that the game was Away last night and there is in fact a PNC Arena. I don't think that policy is in play at Consol.
I saw someone with an iPad at the last game recording video on it. So, I don't think that's the policy.
I recorded the entire shootout in Boston a couple weeks ago on my S3. Also recorded a fight and a few other moments during the game.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

A number of people around me the past few games have brought in tables and iPads, and take pics/film practically the entire game.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

http://www.thepncarena.com/arena_info/policies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PNC Arena specifically lists tablets, Nintendo DS, e-readers as prohibited.

Consol Energy Center does not list those specifically, so it isn't a NHL policy:
No bags, back packs, air horns, cooler (hard/soft sided), thermoses, large purses, cans, bottles, flasks, alcoholic beverages, laser pointer, video or audio recording devices, professional cameras/lens, tripods, banners or signs on poles, weapons or any other items deemed dangerous and/or inappropriate.

Small purses, camera cases, binocular cases and diaper bags will be permitted, however, all items that do not pass security must be returned to vehicles.
http://www.consolenergycenter.com/plan_ ... to_z_guide" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm wondering if it's more of an annoyance to your neighbors, rather than an actual recording/streaming issue.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ffemtreed »

Yep, wife had a problem with the ipad she left in her purse. Had to walk all the way back out to the car (Parked down near the BBQ joint) and almost missed the opening faceoff.

Kind of a silly policy if you ask me. As other have said, my cell phone has more capabilities.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Guess they didn't want you recording all those empty seats.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I imagine that the CEC cops don't want all that leaning recorded.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

I'm not bringing my hypothetical kid with me for a game if he can't come without his DS

No offense. And I know he snuck it :D

I have a nephew that won't go anywhere without his DS. Drives me absolutely nuts, he barely picks his head up. I take it off him when he's with me. If I didn't, he'd be buried.
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Firebird »

Why not just try a different gate until you get in somewhere?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Firebird wrote:Why not just try a different gate until you get in somewhere?
Yeah, I wasn't sure I would have time to get back and watch the beginning of the game. I almost hid it in the fence near NC State's football practice facility, but then thought better of it.

It's funny about my sons and their video games. My eldest son spent more time reading on the 2 1/2 hour drive home this morning than playing the contraband DS. He would've put it away during the game, and used it only when given permission. My 4 year old, however, is addicted to it and any form of video game. He routinely SMOKES me in Mario Kart Wii, and has done so for over a year. You know how you always select Automatic drift? He uses Manual drift and crushes me. :lol:
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Great58 »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote: You know how you always select Automatic drift? He uses Manual drift and crushes me. :lol:
No, I don't know. :)
My 8 year old brought his DS to the 3 Rivers Classic, it was a needed alternative after a while. My 11 year old was satisfied with hockey, as long as there were nachos!