Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by Eismann »

Rylan wrote:When people use country of origins as an adjective in situations it has no reason to be added. That is racism and it is completely unnecessary.
That's not racism at all.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Eismann wrote:
Rylan wrote:When people use country of origins as an adjective in situations it has no reason to be added. That is racism and it is completely unnecessary.
Yea I believe it is. An example would be the lazy Russian comments that get thrown about. What would you define it as?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Xenophobia
Last edited by ExPatriatePen on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I think you are making a pretty large blanket definition of "racism" here (and I agree that the lazy Russian stuff is a fallacy).

For example, Indian culture is known as one that embraces loud noises, loud conversation etc. So when I complain about my (thankfully moved out) "loud Indian neighbors" downstairs, I believe it is relevant to the conversation. On the other hand, if I were to talk about my "loud black neighbors", it would seem a lot less culturally relevant and a lot more like I'm adding "black" just to stick the needle in a bit.

The few times I've gone to Disney World, I have noticed that Brazilian tour groups are, by far, the most rude and aggressive people I've ever encountered at any theme park. They walk around like they own the place. I certainly don't think that statement is racist either, just what I've seen.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

See shad I find the use of their race to be completely unrelated to the situation. I've had noisy neighbors that weren't Indian and I've had Indian neighbors that are quiet. Noisy neighbors is all the information necessary. Its my peeve and I'll peeve if I want to...
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

What if it's used to be more descriptive?

My Puerto Rican neighbor listens to Puerto Rican music and constantly cooks Peurto Rican food that makes the entire complex smell like bad Peurto Rican food.

vs.

My neighbor listens to music and constantly cooks food that makes the entire complex smell like bad food.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

ExPatriatePen wrote:Well, if you've ever done any riding at all, you'd realize that the loud pipes are a saftey issue/feature. I've gotten the attenion of more than one distrated driver by disengaging the clutch and reving the engine before. It certainlty let's distratcted drivers know that you're there.
also read as: we make obnoxious noise so you can help facilitate our annoying hobby
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

shmenguin wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:Well, if you've ever done any riding at all, you'd realize that the loud pipes are a saftey issue/feature. I've gotten the attenion of more than one distrated driver by disengaging the clutch and reving the engine before. It certainlty let's distratcted drivers know that you're there.
also read as: we make obnoxious noise so you can help facilitate our annoying hobby
Huh?
That sentence structure gives me a headache. I have absolutely no idea what that means.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

why do you consider motorcycling an annoying hobby? my dad rides, but it's because he has a half hour commute to work and his truck maybe gets 20 mpg and his motorcycle gets upwards of 50 mpg. He's responsible about it. Takes numerous backroads. Doesn't ever go near the highway. Who is he hurting by doing what he's doing?
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

you're right...the awful noise that comes out of a harley isn't annoying at all

if your dad's bike isn't one of these eardrum busters, i wouldn't lump him in with what i'm saying at all. but EPP's explanation of why it's actually helpful to be so obnoxious is absurd, imo.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

It is loud, yeah, so what?
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

count2infinity wrote:It is loud, yeah, so what?
eh? i'm not calling for the outlawing of motorcycles or anything, but to pretend like "loud things are annoying" is some sort of crazy notion is bizarre.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

This is the IRRATIONAL pet peeves thread, correct?
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I suppose loud things can be annoying, but that's no reason to consider them some sort of pet peeve. I HATE ALL LOUD THINGS! MOVIES DURING GUNFIGHTS, AIRPLANES, MOTORCYCLES, TRAINS, LARGE WATERFALLS, THEY ALL ANNOY ME!
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

ain't nothin irrational at being annoyed by harleys.

sorry, EPP...that probably gave you another headache.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by ExPatriatePen »

shmenguin wrote:you're right...the awful noise that comes out of a harley isn't annoying at all

if your dad's bike isn't one of these eardrum busters, i wouldn't lump him in with what i'm saying at all. but EPP's explanation of why it's actually helpful to be so obnoxious is absurd, imo.
it's interesting though that you call it absurd, but you can't dispute that it's fact.

I'll give you a prime example. Anyone who has driven for any length of time has been startled by a "rice burner" that flys past them on the highway. Many times you don't even know the guy is there until he's parallel to your vehicle.

Does that happen with Harley's? Nope.

I'm already on record in this thread of saying that I'm not fond of those HD riders who make noise just for the sake of making noise. But, you're just going to have to get over the low rumble that is emminating from my tail pipes. Sorry if you find it annoying.
Last edited by ExPatriatePen on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

count2infinity wrote:What if it's used to be more descriptive?

My Puerto Rican neighbor listens to Puerto Rican music and constantly cooks Peurto Rican food that makes the entire complex smell like bad Peurto Rican food.

vs.

My neighbor listens to music and constantly cooks food that makes the entire complex smell like bad food.
Depends if it's really necessary or not.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

count2infinity wrote:I suppose loud things can be annoying, but that's no reason to consider them some sort of pet peeve. I HATE ALL LOUD THINGS! MOVIES DURING GUNFIGHTS, AIRPLANES, MOTORCYCLES, TRAINS, LARGE WATERFALLS, THEY ALL ANNOY ME!
yeah, it's all totally the same thing. one time, i was on this vacation in the swiss alps. while hiking, i was next to this beautiful, glacier-fed waterfall. it was the most serene place i've ever been. but the noise was just totally unbearable. i was just so mad at the waterfall for ruining my day. it was the exact same feeling as when my infant daughter's trying to sleep late at night or if i'm trying to have a rare relaxing moment in my home and someone decides to rev their bike a hundred times and then plow through my neighborhood.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Rylan wrote:
count2infinity wrote:What if it's used to be more descriptive?

vs.

Depends if it's really necessary or not.
I certainly get a more colorful picture using the first example.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

shmenguin wrote:
count2infinity wrote:I suppose loud things can be annoying, but that's no reason to consider them some sort of pet peeve. I HATE ALL LOUD THINGS! MOVIES DURING GUNFIGHTS, AIRPLANES, MOTORCYCLES, TRAINS, LARGE WATERFALLS, THEY ALL ANNOY ME!
yeah, it's all totally the same thing. one time, i was on this vacation in the swiss alps. while hiking, i was next to this beautiful, glacier-fed waterfall. it was the most serene place i've ever been. but the noise was just totally unbearable. i was just so mad at the waterfall for ruining my day. it was the exact same feeling as when my infant daughter's trying to sleep late at night or if i'm trying to have a rare relaxing moment in my home and someone decides to rev their bike a hundred times and then plow through my neighborhood.
Based on some of your peeves, you would probably enjoy being deaf. Though I hope that never happens
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Rylan wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
Based on some of your peeves, you would probably enjoy being deaf. Though I hope that never happens
:lol:
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Rylan wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
being annoyed by people making unnecessary noise is right in my wheelhouse. i think being a hermit would be a little more palatable than going deaf, but neither are very practical.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

[youtube][/youtube]
stinky
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by stinky »

I agree with the Motorcycles and the loud noises pet peeve; I will continue on this current theme and list my pet peves (sorry bikers).

Pet peeve number one, why is it bikers can cruise down the road at a 120 decibels and its ok, yet I actually got a ticket once for my muffler?
Pet peeve number two: spring time, I see flowers and trees blooming, kids playing, and, unfortunately the stupid signs that say "look out for motorcycles" you know what, I always look out for everything when I am driving, I think most people do, don’t lecture us, you assume the risk. A guy at work has those stickers plastered all over his car, yet when he rides his motorcycle to work he is the one doing 60 in the parking lot and gives dirty looks when someone dares not to yield to him.

I look at bikers that feel they have to rev their engine in neighborhoods or parking lots the same way I look at punks who blare their music, narcissistic blue ribbon d bags compensating for... something..."hey look at me, give me attention"

A serious question, cant Harleys be equipped with a loud horn? Or a switch that opens a damper at highway speeds to bypass an actual muffler? I mean, if I drive a tiny car, can I forgo the mufflers completely, for safety?

On a side note, I am curious to hear bikers pet peeves of us car drives? Besides of course, turning in front of you..
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Rylan wrote:
Eismann wrote:
Yea I believe it is. An example would be the lazy Russian comments that get thrown about. What would you define it as?
Not racism. Just descriptive. The PC brainwash effort had unfortunately conditioned Americans to knee jerk label any use of adjectives like this as crimes, instead of understanding the categorical information it carries.

Ironically, this kind of adjective application is used by most non-US countries.