Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by shmenguin »

I'm on board. Making that noise is nothing less than a scum bag move.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

shmenguin wrote:I'm on board. Making that noise is nothing less than a scum bag move.
Spoiler:
[youtube][/youtube]
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Mango Salsa wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:This jerk who lives close by and thinks he's cool because he got himself a Harley a few years ago and each summer he brings it out and starts to drive around, farting with that thing so loud it makes me angry. Each weekend, at least.
Reminds me of a guy I used to work with. He was already a toolbag, then he got a Harley. Suddenly everything he owned was emblazoned with the Harley logo and he talked down to anyone who didn't own one.

Oh, I get it, you're a biker now. When are you leaving for Sturgis?

To keep with the pet peeve theme...motorcyclists who lecture you on bike safety...watch out for bikes, etc, but they don't wear a helmet. Just STFU!
We had one guy at my last job like that. Never had a bike, even lectured us about how he'd leave town during Thunder weekend because he couldn't stand the bike noise. Fast forward a year or so later, and the guy is the premier authority on bike safety, on how to ride, on why it's better to ride with loud pipes, etc. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with any of those things, but the way he went about it rubbed the wrong people (including myself) the wrong way.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Well, if you've ever done any riding at all, you'd realize that the loud pipes are a saftey issue/feature. I've gotten the attenion of more than one distrated driver by disengaging the clutch and reving the engine before. It certainlty let's distratcted drivers know that you're there.

Having said that, reving your engine in the driveway, and/or making noise just for the sake of making noise is :face:

We have a guy in my neighborhood who takes his bike out every Sunday morning and drives around a four block circuit and I swear his only purpose is to see how many car alarms he can set off. I'm not sure he even uses his bike for any other purpose. Sometimes I just want to strangle him because he is excactly the kind of person ya'll are thinking of and it makes it more difficult for other riders (like myself).

I normally start the bike and try and at least coast off my local block or two before I crack the throttle.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

ExPatriatePen wrote:Well, if you've ever done any riding at all, you'd realize that the loud pipes are a saftey issue/feature. I've gotten the attenion of more than one distrated driver by disengaging the clutch and reving the engine before. It certainly let's distracted drivers know that you're there.
Had two bikes, including my last one that had an aftermarket exhaust that was plenty loud. ;) Got rid of it 3 years ago after somebody ran a stop sign and almost took me out.

The odds of me recovering from being t-boned in a car at 25-30 mph are a lot better than taking a direct hit at the same speed. After my near-miss I drove home, parked it in my garage, and only rode it once after that day. If it wasn't for me wanting to clean it up for the buyer, I probably wouldn't have rode it again.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

As one of my brothers said about his Harley, the reason it's so loud is to help save your life.
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by LeopardLetang »

which is even worse. oh why is your vehicle so loud and annoying? well because it's so dangerous to be on the road on it. oh well why do you ride one? i love the sense of freedom that comes with the inherent danger. well i bet you hate having to have to hear that sound though. no, i love the feeling of power i get from it. oh.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

ExPatriatePen wrote:Well, if you've ever done any riding at all, you'd realize that the loud pipes are a saftey issue/feature. I've gotten the attenion of more than one distrated driver by disengaging the clutch and reving the engine before. It certainlty let's distratcted drivers know that you're there.
Sometimes. At 20, I had just started saving up for a HD (was at the HD store and fell in love with a Grey Ghost - 1990 FLSTF Fat Boy) when a good friend was killed on his Softail. Little old lady in a big, old 70's Ford pulled out in front of him - he didn't have a chance. That put the bike thing out of mind for a while. Ten years later, I start thinking about it again, and another friend was killed on his bike. I took that as a sign.
ExPatriatePen wrote:Having said that, reving your engine in the driveway, and/or making noise just for the sake of making noise is :face:
:thumb: Wife's parents had a neighbor with an AC Cobra replica with the 429 and sidepipes. He liked to just pull it out of the garage into the driveway and rev it. Nobody thought he was cool either.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Willie Kool wrote: ... AC Cobra replica with the 429 and sidepipes...
This has always been a dream machine for me.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

ExPatriatePen wrote:We have a guy in my neighborhood who takes his bike out every Sunday morning and drives around a four block circuit and I swear his only purpose is to see how many car alarms he can set off..
No 'sheet'. Car alarms go off when he drives the thing. Imagine that at 2am. Thank god it's only during summer.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

Willie, I made a conscious decision not to own a bike. They're fun but I knew one guy who killed himself one a bike and another who broke every bone in his body when he drove into a tree. Months of recovery.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Part of me still wants a bike and the other part of me reminds me why I don't lol.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Rylan wrote:Part of me still wants a bike and the other part of me reminds me why I don't lol.
everytime I think of selling it, I take a ride and remember all of the money it's saving me in Psych costs. :)
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Rylan wrote:Part of me still wants a bike and the other part of me reminds me why I don't lol.
everytime I think of selling it, I take a ride and remember all of the money it's saving me in Psych costs. :)
Why not switch to a mountain bike? Healthier and safer. lol
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

Sarcastic wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
:thumb: There's my peace of mind. Nothing better than escaping the concrete world for a while and getting out on some singletrack - which actually leads me back on topic with another peeve.

People who don't yield to the climber on a singletrack trail. I'm working my *** off to get up this hill, please gtfo of my way.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Sarcastic wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
Those two are not mutually exclusive. :)
Last edited by ExPatriatePen on Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Speaking of motorcycles and cars in general. I don't have an interest in either. I don't see the point in investing a ton of money into something that just gets me from point A to point B. The pet peeve part comes in with people that i'm with that may see a really nice car or something and go nuts over it. When they ask me about it and I say, "Meh." because again, i have no interest, they look at me like i'm nuts.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

count2infinity wrote:Speaking of motorcycles and cars in general. I don't have an interest in either. I don't see the point in investing a ton of money into something that just gets me from point A to point B. The pet peeve part comes in with people that i'm with that may see a really nice car or something and go nuts over it. When they ask me about it and I say, "Meh." because again, i have no interest, they look at me like i'm nuts.
I feel the way as you for the most part. I'll turn my head when I see an old classic muscle car or new luxury car like a Lambo but I don't wet my pants over them like my high school friends do.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Mango Salsa »

Willie Kool wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
:thumb: There's my peace of mind. Nothing better than escaping the concrete world for a while and getting out on some singletrack - which actually leads me back on topic with another peeve.

People who don't yield to the climber on a singletrack trail. I'm working my *** off to get up this hill, please gtfo of my way.

When Im climbing I yeild to the guy coming down. I figure he's having way more fun than me, why ruin his stoke lol. That being said, Im off to Bradys Run for a ride
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

Mango Salsa wrote:
Willie Kool wrote:People who don't yield to the climber on a singletrack trail. I'm working my *** off to get up this hill, please gtfo of my way.
When Im climbing I yield to the guy coming down. I figure he's having way more fun than me, why ruin his stoke lol. That being said, Im off to Bradys Run for a ride
Guess i'm a bit of a masochist, as I really enjoy the burn of the climb almost as much as the rush of the downhill run. If I see (or more likely hear) someone coming before I start into it, I'll definitely wait, but it really ****** me off when I have to stop halfway up and try to start again.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Willie Kool wrote:
Mango Salsa wrote:
Willie Kool wrote:People who don't yield to the climber on a singletrack trail. I'm working my *** off to get up this hill, please gtfo of my way.
When Im climbing I yield to the guy coming down. I figure he's having way more fun than me, why ruin his stoke lol. That being said, Im off to Bradys Run for a ride
Guess i'm a bit of a masochist, as I really enjoy the burn of the climb almost as much as the rush of the downhill run. If I see (or more likely hear) someone coming before I start into it, I'll definitely wait, but it really ****** me off when I have to stop halfway up and try to start again.
Climb? In the flat lands of Chi-Town? :)

You need to get yourself down to some of the southwestern PA trails!

http://www.summitpost.org/sugarloaf-knob/352002" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Willie Kool wrote:Guess i'm a bit of a masochist, as I really enjoy the burn of the climb almost as much as the rush of the downhill run. If I see (or more likely hear) someone coming before I start into it, I'll definitely wait, but it really ****** me off when I have to stop halfway up and try to start again.

http://www.summitpost.org/sugarloaf-knob/352002" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:lol: Yeah, nothing like Ohiopyle around here. I'm in southern Erie County, Pa., not Chicago. While it is pretty flat up near the lake, we do have some decent elevation changes once you get inland, especially along the creeks and ridges.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Willie Kool wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
Willie Kool wrote:Guess i'm a bit of a masochist, as I really enjoy the burn of the climb almost as much as the rush of the downhill run. If I see (or more likely hear) someone coming before I start into it, I'll definitely wait, but it really ****** me off when I have to stop halfway up and try to start again.

:lol: Yeah, nothing like Ohiopyle around here. I'm in southern Erie County, Pa., not Chicago. While it is pretty flat up near the lake, we do have some decent elevation changes once you get inland, especially along the creeks and ridges.
Why did I think you were from Chicago? My bad.

You definitely have some hills in your area. Especially the further East you go... Amiright?
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Willie Kool wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

Why did I think you were from Chicago? My bad.

You definitely have some hills in your area. Especially the further East you go... Amiright?
Yeah, for sure, as long as you stay inland. The main ridge builds as you go into NY state, from Peek'n Peak over to Holiday Valley. There is some pretty good riding up there.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

When people use country of origins as an adjective in situations it has no reason to be added. That is racism and it is completely unnecessary.