Kronwall, Kronwalling.

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Kronwall, Kronwalling.

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

[youtube][/youtube]

Does this guy leap into every hit? It's embarrassing. This dude had his head up and wasn't injured, but geez...
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Kronwall, Kronwalling.

Post by bhaw »

I'm not sure how he's gotten the NHL free pass all these years. That was principal point of contact to the head and leaving his feet.

Regardless of legality, what bugs me the most is how he's chicken **** and runs away when someone comes after him for those hits. Embarrassment of a hockey player.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

I can't tell...I need slow mo.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Rylan wrote:I can't tell...I need slow mo.
Can't tell if serious, but I went to 720p and looked at it, and although it's not the most blatant charge, he does leave his feet before making contact.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
Rylan wrote:I can't tell...I need slow mo.
Can't tell if serious, but I went to 720p and looked at it, and although it's not the most blatant charge, he does leave his feet before making contact.
He absolutely leaves his feet.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

I can't tell if they were before or after contact. Sue me.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

The whole before/during/after distinction is all BS anyways. If you target a guy's head, who cares when you left your feet?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

bhaw wrote:The whole before/during/after distinction is all BS anyways. If you target a guy's head, who cares when you left your feet?
Ok then I agree with that. But if you guys are telling me that you can distinctly tell he left his feet prior to the hit I am going to have to say its inconclusive.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Rylan wrote:
bhaw wrote:The whole before/during/after distinction is all BS anyways. If you target a guy's head, who cares when you left your feet?
Ok then I agree with that. But if you guys are telling me that you can distinctly tell he left his feet prior to the hit I am going to have to say its inconclusive.
Fair enough. I still say it doesn't matter. NHL has let him go after guys' heads for years. Then they showcase him when he's a bottom feeder who hides behind his teammates or the refs like Sean Avery. Figures Detroit fans celebrate this guy. He'd probably be a hit in Philly as well.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

[youtube][/youtube]

You make the call :)
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Up before based on that video.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

bhaw wrote:
Rylan wrote:
Fair enough. I still say it doesn't matter. NHL has let him go after guys' heads for years. Then they showcase him when he's a bottom feeder who hides behind his teammates or the refs like Sean Avery. Figures Detroit fans celebrate this guy. He'd probably be a hit in Philly as well.
I agree. I am not a fan of Kromwall or his hits. I think he is as bad as anyone, but no one seems to care when he blasts someones brain into next week, just when players with "reputations" do it. Its a joke.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

bhaw wrote:Up before based on that video.
I still can't tell. It looks like he was in fact "launching" through the hit. But I think he was still extending when contact was made. Then as the hit was occurring, his momentum upwards finally makes him leaves his skates.

Not trying to be a jerk and just being an opposite viewpoint, but that is what I see.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

This is where I tell you I've been playing hockey longer than you've been alive, so my view point is more valid, right?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by ExPatriatePen »

bhaw wrote:This is where I tell you I've been playing hockey longer than you've been alive, so my view point is more valid, right?
ahem... youngster :)
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Correct.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Looks like a dirty hit.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by ExPatriatePen »

columbia wrote:Looks like a dirty hit.
I'll weigh in and say that strictly by the rules, I think it's too close to call.

Seems to me though that what the rule was trying to prevent, well he crossed that line.

It's one of those hits i hate from an opposing player and love from a Penguin. Go figure.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Fire0nice228 »

The hit itself to me is borderline, any 'kronwalling' that I've seen video of has been borderline headshot/leaving the feet, etc. If I am Jamie Mcgin right there I give Kronwall the best crosscheck I can muster as he's trying to scoop himself off the iceafter attempting to run me over, but its a tie game about to go into overtime, so its probably best he didn't. Although, COL has no playoff chance, so maybe he should have said screw it and done it anyway. I also hate how Kronwall stands there with his best 'who me? what did I do? " expression on his face. All in all, I hate Kronwall.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Has a Detroit player been suspended since Shannahan took over?
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

Every big Kronwall hit pretty much looks like this one, always borderline and having to slo-mo video to see when exactly he leaves his feet. He puts his body into the hits by bending and then surging upwards. He really drives into the opponent and he's going to leave his feet because everything is going up at impact. I think he's had some hits over time where he left his feet first, but it's tough to tell a lot of times. He's a master at this kind of hit and also picking his spots.
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by dman66 »

The thing that bugs me most about Kronwall's hits is that he basically leads with his back all the time. Most of his bigger hits are like this and they look so awkward.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by ExPatriatePen »

dman66 wrote:The thing that bugs me most about Kronwall's hits is that he basically leads with his back all the time. Most of his bigger hits are like this and they look so awkward.
If it's effective, I'm not sure style points are important... amiright?

My question, building off the idea that his hits are often predictable and are all very similar in 'style', is how do you protect yourself as a forward? Go low?
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Great58 »

Kronwall often catches forwards with their heads down coming out of the zone as his first move appears to be falling back on defense, so they drop their head a moment to control the puck. In reality he is just reving up his engine and preparing to drop it into gear, and he succeeds in catching them off guard. Keeping your head up seems the primary defense.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Great58 wrote:Kronwall often catches forwards with their heads down coming out of the zone as his first move appears to be falling back on defense, so they drop their head a moment to control the puck. In reality he is just reving up his engine and preparing to drop it into gear, and he succeeds in catching them off guard. Keeping your head up seems the primary defense.
Not for nothing Great58, but "keep your head up" is kinda superfluous.

I guess I should have asked, once the hit is immanent, how do you position your body for the impact?

McGinn semed to cower from it. Seems the hit was worse for it.