Jagr Watch 2017

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Jagr to BOS

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

He has 6 goals and 6 assists in 6 debuts. No other logical explanation for that except he's the devil.
djlm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by djlm »

Seeing Jagr in black 'n yellow again is insane.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

http://www.dmagazine.com/Home/Web_Exclu ... rU.twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They give up so much in life for me,” he says of his parents. “They truly give up. It’s not like parents who drive their kids to practice. They did everything, and they didn’t know if I was ever going to be able to play in the NHL.”

One of the few upsides of living under the communist regime was that youth sports were free. At age 7, Jágr says, he started doing 1,000 squats and 150 pushups a day. He got stronger and better. He started playing with kids two and three years older than him. While other children his age had one practice and game a week, he would have four practices and games in different age groups. By 16, he was playing for Kladno’s pro team in the highest-level Czech league, but he couldn’t prepare for exactly what his move to Pittsburgh and the NHL would mean.

“I became a soap opera,” Jágr says. “I wasn’t the only one to defect, but I was 18. I was the youngest one. I was the only one to win scoring titles, the MVP. So I become their guy.”

It is impossible to know what being this kind of national figure feels like, and when I ask Jágr about it, he shrugs it off. It’s just what happened, he says. The timing was right. But later, he begins to talk about the pressure he felt as a young player in the NHL.

“When I was younger, of course, I wanted to win the scoring titles,” Jágr says. “That was my goal. When I win it, the season was good. And if I didn’t win it, I didn’t play good. I didn’t have a good season. That was in my head. Everything in your head. Whatever you put in your head, it is going to happen.”

I ask him if that is why he is in the NHL, to reach 700 goals, to bump past his former teammate, mentor, and fellow Penguin playmaker Mario Lemieux on the all-time points chart.

“It is funny how this works,” he says before a long pause. “How to explain it. Everything changes with your age. You are different thinking. I think you are less selfish. When you are younger you try to prove to the world that you’re the best, or whatever. And when you are paid the most on the team, if you are not the best on the team, the media go after you more than anybody. And it is not good if you have a bad season. It is not a good feeling, trust me. But when you are older you just think differently. I never look at the long stats.”

In 1994, after the Penguins won their second Stanley Cup, a 22-year-old Jágr appeared on a talk show on Czech television and told an interviewer he hoped to retire at 30, after making his money, to enjoy life. But turning 30 coincided with his big contract. Jágr converted to Orthodox Christianity in 2001, right at the time when life got difficult for him—the bad years in Washington, the tax and gambling issues. By the time he decamped to Siberia in 2008, he was 36, unmarried, and still playing hockey.

“I was just happy to be on the ice,” Jágr says of his early years in the league. “I had a car. I could buy some stuff.”

In another old video from Czech TV in the 1990s, a young Jágr shows reporters around his parents’ farm. His mother fries pastries on a small electric hot plate as she talks about her son. Jágr takes a hockey stick and maneuvers a small ball around a barking farm dog. Toward the end of the segment, Jágr rolls out his black Mitsubishi 3000 GT from a clapboard garage. He runs his hand along the sleek sports car and grins at the camera.

These days Jágr drives a white Mercedes with an expired temporary resident tag. Stretch tells me he has been trying to get Jágr to take care of his car’s registration for more than a month, but he can’t get his attention long enough to fill out the paperwork. I wonder if there are unpaid tickets, and if there are, are they really Stretch’s problem?

I also wonder why Jágr is still doing this. He has money. He owns a hockey team in his hometown. He could return to Kladno and finish out his career a hometown legend. Instead, he is in Dallas, playing alongside kids half his age, getting whipped by the league’s best, beating his body late into the night after the game to stay fit enough to continue to perform at the highest level in his sport.

"Everything changes with your age. You are different thinking. I think you are less selfish. When you are younger you try to prove to the world that you’re the best," Jágr says.

“It’s in my genes,” Jágr says. “My dad is 70, and he still has a farm and he’s working every day. My mother, it’s the same thing. I cannot stop. I don’t think our family enjoyed life much. We feel like we have to work all the time.”

Well, at least you love what you do, I say.

“But you know what? My dad **** loves the farm,” he says. “I ask him, ‘Why do you do that?’ Because he doesn’t have to work—he’s so rich. And he answers, ‘I have to be loyal to the things that **** got me to be rich. When I had nothing, that gave me food.’ ”

Jágr stops suddenly and jumps up from his seat. “Good enough?” he asks, walking away. I get up after him and look at my recorder. We’ve been talking for 40 minutes. I thank him for his time.

“I give you a lot more than I **** thought I would,” he says, not really to me, but just looking out across the empty room. “You owe me big bucks for that.”
Last edited by Lesky on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I was waiting for Lesky to post after last nights game. Turns out he got 2 in before I checked the thread.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

Just found out that Jagr is the oldest NHL player to score 4 goals in 4 consecutive games, the last guy to do it was Dean Prentice who did the same at the age of 40. But Jagr, at 41, has now done it twice! He has 2 separate 4 goal scoring streaks this year, both with Dallas of course.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Was thinking about Jagr this morning and I have to say it really tweaks me watching him be this NHL mercenary who goes from team to team. I also really hate that he has now played for every rival team the Pens have. This is a player that, at one time, I really hoped would retire a Penguin.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Pitts wrote:Was thinking about Jagr this morning and I have to say it really tweaks me watching him be this NHL mercenary who goes from team to team. I also really hate that he has now played for every rival team the Pens have. This is a player that, at one time, I really hoped would retire a Penguin.
Maybe Shero should have tried to bring him back or Patrick shouldn't have sent him to a rival. pop
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

It should be noted Jagr did not want to leave Dallas, but agreed as Dallas asked him!
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Lesky wrote:It should be noted Jagr did not want to leave Dallas, but agreed as Dallas asked him!
Sounds ripe to re-sign with Dallas in the Summer, a la Recchi in 2006.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

relantel wrote:
Lesky wrote:It should be noted Jagr did not want to leave Dallas, but agreed as Dallas asked him!
Sounds ripe to re-sign with Dallas in the Summer, a la Recchi in 2006.
I do not think so, I think Jagr is upset they traded him while contending for a playoff spot, so I do not expect him to be back!
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:He has 6 goals and 6 assists in 6 debuts. No other logical explanation for that except he's the devil.
His teams are 6-0-0 too :)

Pittsburgh - New Jersey 7:4
(1+0)

Washington - New Jersey 6:1
(1+1)

NY Rangers - Florida 5:2
(1+2)

Philadelphia - Vancouver 5:4
(0+1)

Dallas - Phoenix 4:3
(2+2)

Boston - New Jersey 1:0
(1+0)
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Idoit40fans wrote:
Pitts wrote:Was thinking about Jagr this morning and I have to say it really tweaks me watching him be this NHL mercenary who goes from team to team. I also really hate that he has now played for every rival team the Pens have. This is a player that, at one time, I really hoped would retire a Penguin.
Maybe Shero should have tried to bring him back or Patrick shouldn't have sent him to a rival. pop
I understand all that and the fact that trades happen regardless of the player. It still tweaks me ... pretty hard.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Hmm, they still gave up 40 shots.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Hmm, they still gave up 40 shots.
Indeed. I agree, Boston does not scare me!
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

Do you have a creepy shrine of Jagr on your wall?
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

Kovy27 wrote:Do you have a creepy shrine of Jagr on your wall?
Unfortunately no, you must be alone in having that - enjoy :fist:
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Burn?
Kharlamov
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Kharlamov »

Friday, July 1, 2011
Jaromir Jagr's agent said Thursday that Jagr's "heart is in Pittsburgh." Penguins general manager Ray Shero is banking on it.

Friday, April 5, 2013
"You can’t trust anybody in this business. You never know, I’ve learned that.”
-Jaromir Jagr

Where did you learn it?
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

Kharlamov wrote: Friday, April 5, 2013
-Jaromir Jagr

Where did you learn it?
Where from is this quote and about what?
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

Lesky wrote:
The fact that I hate Jagr must indicate that I have a creepy shrine of his...I guess.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

He’s a mercenary. He has bounced between teams, selling himself to the highest bidder without regard to league or loyalty. He left the NHL for the KHL and came back again. He spurned his old Pittsburgh Penguins, joining the rival Philadelphia Flyers when they gave him a one-year, $3.3 million deal. Then he bolted for the Dallas Stars when they gave him a one-year, $4.5 million deal.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl--jagr- ... 51406.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

Kovy27 wrote:
Lesky wrote:
The fact that I hate Jagr must indicate that I have a creepy shrine of his...I guess.
Yeah, since you must come in here not to contribute but make a mockery of someone that likes Jagr, you must be clearly obsessed with him. I am not going around trying to belittle anyone that like Nadal or Tiger Woods for example, I find this kind of behavior more odd and unhealthy than being a big fan of an athlete or artist etc. But I guess keep on hating and jeering, thats what you like obviously.
Kharlamov
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Kharlamov »

Lesky wrote:
Kharlamov wrote: Friday, April 5, 2013
-Jaromir Jagr

Where did you learn it?
Where from is this quote and about what?
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/bruins/p ... -kids-game