Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

ExPatriatePen wrote:If you've ever flown SouthWest Airlines, you know that there are no 'assigned seats'. It's first come first served based on your check-in time.

So Sunday night I boarded a SouthWest Airlines flight and about halfway back in the airplane a 40 year old woman was sitting in the center seat of a thre seat row. (The seats on either side of her were empty).

We get it, you want the whole row to yourself. But don't you think your behavior is more than just a little bit rude?
this happened fairly frequently when kenny the kangaroo was a commuter on a SETPA train. it was always the same type of guy, too.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

DudeMan2766 wrote:People who sit at a bar in a resturant and read newspapers. Theres this same guy who goes to this sports bar we go to, he must be there every night after work. We dont go that often but every time we do he is there. Not only does he have the rest of the paper laying on the bar taking up a spot someone else could be occupying, but he reads with the whole thing open so the wingspan is taking up a spot on the other side of him. I think I'm the only one this bothers. You got everyone sitting at the bar hanging out drinking and eating dinner then some jackhole treating the place like its his living room on a sunday morning.
If he just had everything nice and tidy in front of him, and folded the paper in half to not take up a ton of space and kept it in his "area", then I wouldn't be bothered.

But the way you are explaining it, that would bother me as he is taking up more than his fair share of room, especially if the bar is crowded. If it was an empty dive bar, then I wouldn't care.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

newarenanow wrote:This is probably on here a million times, but when some idiot goes into the EZPass only lane, stops, and then wants to backup because he doesn't have EZ Pass when there are a number of cars already behind themi n the lane.

Happened this morning, and he just sat there expecting the cars to back up. This was at the Monroeville interchange too at rush hour, where pretty much every lane but 2 is cash.
I am peeved by the EZPass gates in Ohio. IIRC, the system is perfectly capable of reading the transponder so long as you drive through at 5 mph or so. You never have to stop. But in Ohio, where they installed EZPass only fairly recently, they put gates in front of each lane that have to swing up out of the way. So everyone with EZPass must still come to a full stop. It's not a long delay, but when traffic is busy each small delay for each car can add up to a big delay for the people at the back of the line.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

People that stand up and get in line on the train for the next stop before the train leaves the previous station. At least someone always has to fight through them in order to get off the train in time.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

This is something that pisses me off. Whenever I go to google and try to put a new search in, it automatically changes everything I write to their suggestions to 'help me'. So I often have to erase the whole damn thing and start over.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by joopen »

newarenanow wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:People who sit at a bar in a resturant and read newspapers. Theres this same guy who goes to this sports bar we go to, he must be there every night after work. We dont go that often but every time we do he is there. Not only does he have the rest of the paper laying on the bar taking up a spot someone else could be occupying, but he reads with the whole thing open so the wingspan is taking up a spot on the other side of him. I think I'm the only one this bothers. You got everyone sitting at the bar hanging out drinking and eating dinner then some jackhole treating the place like its his living room on a sunday morning.
If he just had everything nice and tidy in front of him, and folded the paper in half to not take up a ton of space and kept it in his "area", then I wouldn't be bothered.

But the way you are explaining it, that would bother me as he is taking up more than his fair share of room, especially if the bar is crowded. If it was an empty dive bar, then I wouldn't care.
Sit next to him
Spill beer
??????
Profit
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Spilling beer only adds to the problem. Spill water instead.
danisu21
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by danisu21 »

i HATE when my sugar or honey doesn't totally dissolve into my tea or coffee and at the end of the cup it's like OMG SUGAR OVERLOAD. I don't even put much in!
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

stir?
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

It's not just you. I've seen that guy before in a few places. It's ok if that guy does it during lunch and there's nobody else near him.

But doing that during their busiest time, when people are trying to look for that one open seat that is being occupied by the unread Money section, is bush league.
danisu21
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by danisu21 »

count2infinity wrote:stir?
I always do. i just don't have the patience to sit there and stir it for 20 minutes. 1 is enough.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

JS© wrote:
It's not just you. I've seen that guy before in a few places. It's ok if that guy does it during lunch and there's nobody else near him.

But doing that during their busiest time, when people are trying to look for that one open seat that is being occupied by the unread Money section, is bush league.
I've had to sit next to him before. I had room, but I dont want half your arm in my space while I'm trying to eat. Not to mention this guy NEVER sits down. So he stands at the bar. Go stand at one of the individual tall tables you goof. Its like the people at my gym who use on of the machines that has a tv attached but don't watch the tv. Also a pet peeve of mine. Why take the tv away from someone else when you can go use the same machine on the other side of the room.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Quick Question:

Two Drivers are at an intersection. Driver one is sitting in the left hand turn lane on the major road, driver two is sitting at the lessor feeder/crossroad and wants to turn right onto the major road (going in the opposite direction of Driver One, of course).

Driver one gets a green left turn arrow. That creates a break for driver two because the traffic to his left has a red light (to facillitate Driver one left turn)

Everything is good right? Driver two can make a right turn on red, except Driver one isn't turning left, he makes a legal U-turn.

Now both drivers are wanting the same piece of real estate.

Who has the right of way?
Spoiler:
Actually the main road was a two lane road so each could have had his own lane. But that's another issue all together
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

I need a diagram...
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

ExPatriatePen wrote:Quick Question:

Two Drivers are at an intersection. Driver one is sitting in the left hand turn lane on the major road, driver two is sitting at the lessor feeder/crossroad and wants to turn right onto the major road (going in the opposite direction of Driver One, of course).

Driver one gets a green left turn arrow. That creates a break for driver two because the traffic to his left has a red light (to facillitate Driver one left turn)

Everything is good right? Driver two can make a right turn on red, except Driver one isn't turning left, he makes a legal U-turn.

Spoiler:
Actually the main road was a two lane road so each could have had his own lane. But that's another issue all together

The driver with the green has the right of way. To turn right on red a driver must stop,
check for an yield to pedestrians and other traffic.
PA Drivers manual
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

Spoiler:
Whoever has the light has the road. The red light must stop. The number of lanes does not matter
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

stopper40 wrote:

Spoiler:

The driver with the green has the right of way. To turn right on red a driver must stop,
PA Drivers manual
Fair enough, but two questions, how could driver two have anticipated the U-turn? He/She doesn't know that driver one isn't just turning left until Driver One's vehicle goes over the 90 degree point of the turn. At that point Driver two is alread committed. Secondly, there are two lanes, isn't yeilding the left hand lane sufficient?

But I get your point regarding "yield to other traffic".
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

ExPatriatePen wrote:
stopper40 wrote:

Spoiler:

PA Drivers manual
Fair enough, but two questions, how could driver two have anticipated the U-turn? He/She doesn't know that driver one isn't just turning left until Driver One's vehicle goes over the 90 degree point of the turn. At that point Driver two is alread committed. Secondly, there are two lanes, isn't yeilding the left hand lane sufficient?

But I get your point regarding "yield to other traffic".
It doesn't matter how many lanes there are or if the person is making a u-turn or not. The person with the green light has the right of way. it is the responsibility of the person making the right on red to make the the roadway is clear.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Yeah, I'd say Driver 2 is at fault.
PensHckyFan79
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by PensHckyFan79 »

I always like this scenario near the mall I used to work at as a teen.

Two lane each road intersects with one lane each way with turning lanes at the intersection. So the 1 lane road has a merge triangle for right hand turns to get on the right hand lane of the 2 lane road. The other direction gets a green left turn signal. Driver 1 (turning right on the merge triangle) turns into the right hand lane, Driver 2 (turning left) turns into the right hand lane and hits driver 1. Who is at fault??

I go to Driver 2 because it is a yield to traffic, but my friend pointed out that when turning left and you have two lanes Driver 1 is supposed to turn into the left hand lane.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

I recognize and admit that the illuminated top of the Gulf Tower coveys more weather information than ever before, but you have to carry around a freaking instruction manual to remember what color on what level means what.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

PensHckyFan79 wrote:I always like this scenario near the mall I used to work at as a teen.

Two lane each road intersects with one lane each way with turning lanes at the intersection. So the 1 lane road has a merge triangle for right hand turns to get on the right hand lane of the 2 lane road. The other direction gets a green left turn signal. Driver 1 (turning right on the merge triangle) turns into the right hand lane, Driver 2 (turning left) turns into the right hand lane and hits driver 1. Who is at fault??

I go to Driver 2 because it is a yield to traffic, but my friend pointed out that when turning left and you have two lanes Driver 1 is supposed to turn into the left hand lane.

Again whoever has the green turning light has the right of way. No, you don't have to turn into the left hand lane if you have the light, you can use either lane
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Shyster wrote:I recognize and admit that the illuminated top of the Gulf Tower coveys more weather information than ever before, but you have to carry around a freaking instruction manual to remember what color on what level means what.
I agree that it's quite a bit of information if you're trying to memorize it

Floor By Floor Breakdown

44th floor – temperature
43rd floor – temperature
42nd floor – temperature
41st floor – precipitation
40th floor – humidity
39th floor – wind speed
Temperature

Dark blue – below 0
Med blue – 0-32
Light blue – 33-49
Amber – 50-65
Orange – 66-79
Red – 80 and above
Precipitation

Red purple – above .25”
Blue purple – .25” and below
Humidity

Dark green – 50 percent and above
Light green – below 50 percent
Wind Speed

Magenta – over 10 mph
Pink – 10 mph and under
PensHckyFan79
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by PensHckyFan79 »

stopper40 wrote:
PensHckyFan79 wrote:I always like this scenario near the mall I used to work at as a teen.

Again whoever has the green turning light has the right of way. No, you don't have to turn into the left hand lane if you have the light, you can use either lane
Another good one where I almost got hit. Two left turn lanes to a road that has two lanes and the person next to you tries to change lanes in the middle of the turn. That one really gets me jacked, especially when the culprit is A)on their cell phone or B)Old people. Oh and there's another one where people turn from a lane that is straight only. Come to think of it there are a lot of dumb/poorly designed intersections where I live...LOL
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

feminists... there. i said it.