George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by Shyster »

If HBO catches up to Martin and they need to add some filler, they could do the “Dunk & Egg” stories as filler. The three short stories in that series so far could easily fill a season’s worth of HBO episodes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_of_Dunk_and_Egg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Shyster wrote:If HBO catches up to Martin and they need to add some filler, they could do the “Dunk & Egg” stories as filler. The three short stories in that series so far could easily fill a season’s worth of HBO episodes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_of_Dunk_and_Egg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's amazing how he keeps track of this entire universe.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

An updated graphic tribute to GAME OF THRONES
http://visual.ly/graphic-tribute-game-thrones?view=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Dragons.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

blackjack68 wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:
blackjack68 wrote::?
Et tu, Game of Thrones?
April Fools
Oh, I got it. Just annoyed by the litany of tedious, unfunny April Fools jokes.

Glad its about over.
And all that said, a woman came into my office all upset today that Peter Dinklage would not be returning for the 4th season and she was 100% serious. Ugh.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Jon Snow's reason to join Mance was stupid. Liked his speech in the book where Mance mentioned he was at the feast for Robert and Jon told him it was because he had to sit at the bastards table. He got no respect from his family.

Where the **** is Strong Belwas? And getting right to Selmy instead of Arstan Whitebeard! I liked the mystery.

Loved the subtitles of the Unsullied owner.

I also don't remember Margery stopping to help the orphans. Lots of changes from Storm of Swords unless I'm not recalling correctly. Not good or bad, just different.

Finally, Qybern? Makes no sense. I'll leave it at that because I don't think we got to where he comes in yet in the books, all the crap prior was actually in Clash of Kings, not sure why they saved the manticore and Joh meeting Mance until now.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

DelPen wrote:Jon Snow's reason to join Mance was stupid. Liked his speech in the book where Mance mentioned he was at the feast for Robert and Jon told him it was because he had to sit at the bastards table. He got no respect from his family.

Where the **** is Strong Belwas? And getting right to Selmy instead of Arstan Whitebeard! I liked the mystery.

Loved the subtitles of the Unsullied owner.

I also don't remember Margery stopping to help the orphans. Lots of changes from Storm of Swords unless I'm not recalling correctly. Not good or bad, just different.

Finally, Qybern? Makes no sense. I'll leave it at that because I don't think we got to where he comes in yet in the books, all the crap prior was actually in Clash of Kings, not sure why they saved the manticore and Joh meeting Mance until now.
I putting spoilers even though you mentioned it.
Spoiler:
Selmy's reveal was one of my favorite moments in book 3. I just loved it because it was super badass. I'm hoping Strong Belwas comes onto the show next season. I can understand why Whitebeard was scrapped because in the book you can't see Selmy, and the show you obviously can tell it would be him. I'm just disappointed tv-only viewers are going to miss out on an awesome scene.
For some reason I really liked the addition of Margery visiting the orphans. It showed how much better a queen she would be than Cersei. It also sets up her later jealousy of Margery.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

What the rule on spoilers here? If the show is pretty much caught up with the books it's fine to post like what I did above?

Storm of Swords came out in 2000, if you haven't read it by now...
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

I think it should be walking dead rules. Anything that has aired on the show is spoiler free. Anything that comes later in the book is spoilered.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

DelPen wrote:What the rule on spoilers here? If the show is pretty much caught up with the books it's fine to post like what I did above?

Storm of Swords came out in 2000, if you haven't read it by now...
I know this isn't a thread about the show, but anything that hasn't been aired on the show should still need spoiler'd. There are like 8 of you that read the books and a whole lot more that don't read them who post in this thread.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

im still catching up on the show - spoilers appreciated
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

The problem with this thread is that is it shared for both the books and the show. As such, I generally try to spoiler where possible. I know from past experience in other threads while trying to catch up on a series that you can easily read more than you wanted.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Here's a Facebook recap of the entire season premiere.

http://www.happyplace.com/22775/game-of ... -episode-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:im still catching up on the show - spoilers appreciated
i appreciate your situation, but in this case, we'd be spoilering like 75% of the thread. that doesn't seem like the way to go.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:im still catching up on the show - spoilers appreciated
Doesn't seem like a good idea to be visiting the thread then :pop:
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

Picked up on that one pretty quickly
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Never really picked up on this watching the show, mainly because I think I was just figuring out who was who, but now reading the book, Ned Stark really f'd up on a few occassions, and if he wasn't so damn "noble" and "honorable", he could have put an end to the entire war by doing a few tasks he ended up not doing.

And while I'm not to book 2 or 3 yet, seems Rob Stark is the same by skipping out on his promised marriage.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

The Starks do bring a certain amount of trouble upon themselves. They are honorable in a place where honor is all but nonexistent.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

newarenanow wrote:Never really picked up on this watching the show, mainly because I think I was just figuring out who was who, but now reading the book, Ned Stark really f'd up on a few occassions, and if he wasn't so damn "noble" and "honorable", he could have put an end to the entire war by doing a few tasks he ended up not doing.

And while I'm not to book 2 or 3 yet, seems Rob Stark is the same by skipping out on his promised marriage.
I didn't get this feeling watching the show, it seems amazing that he lasted as strong as he did. It was obvious he was dead as soon as he went to kings landing, just thought it was going to be via assassination.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by GaryRissling »

the wicked child wrote:The Starks do bring a certain amount of trouble upon themselves. They are honorable in a place where honor is all but nonexistent.
Ned joining Robert's Rebellion though always struck me as being out of character for him. Why not depose Aerys for the purpose of installing Rhegar and keep the line of succession intact? It would seem that would be more consistent with the man who was unrelenting in his support of Stannis' claim to the throne.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

GaryRissling wrote:
the wicked child wrote:The Starks do bring a certain amount of trouble upon themselves. They are honorable in a place where honor is all but nonexistent.
Ned joining Robert's Rebellion though always struck me as being out of character for him. Why not depose Aerys for the purpose of installing Rhegar and keep the line of succession intact? It would seem that would be more consistent with the man who was unrelenting in his support of Stannis' claim to the throne.
Interesting point. I never really thought about it too much... I wonder if this will ever be explored further by Martin.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

GaryRissling wrote:Ned joining Robert's Rebellion though always struck me as being out of character for him. Why not depose Aerys for the purpose of installing Rhegar and keep the line of succession intact? It would seem that would be more consistent with the man who was unrelenting in his support of Stannis' claim to the throne.
It may not be clear from the TV show, but there are two reasons I can think of:
1. Rhaegar kidnapped Ned’s sister Lyanna, who was betrothed to marry Robert at the time.

2. When Ned’s father (Lord Rickard Stark) and older brother (Brandon Stark) went to King’s Landing to seek redress from the King for Lyanna’s kidnapping, Aerys had Lord Rickard roasted alive over a fire and tied Brandon up in ropes and made him watch. The ropes were set so that as Brandon struggled to free himself and save his father he also strangled himself.

Those might have turned Ned against the Targaryens. 8-)
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

Even though you know what happened, it would be really cool to have a book about Ned and Roberts younger days.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

the starks are a bunch of f*** ups, plain and simple
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

shmenguin wrote:the starks are a bunch of f*** ups, plain and simple
In the big picture there really isn't anything wrong with the Lannisters except for Joffrey being a jerk but when your dad's your uncle you might be a bit off :)