GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by Kraftster »

Ho1kB hasn't released their list of beers (35-40) for the sour tasting in April, which they are doing as part of Pittsburgh Craft Beer Week, but they are starting to tease. The first such teaser is The Bruery Sour in the Rye. I remember seeing a review on this one and thinking it sounded great.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Pretty damn tasty, though I would have upped the pecan flavor a bit.

#pbp
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

bought a variety pack of wood chuck's cider as it was on sale. i realize it's not beer, but it's pretty tasty. the granny smith apple one is by far my favorite. nice and tart, just like drinking a granny smith, but with booze.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

malkinshair wrote:Picked up a six-pack each of Goose Island Mild Winter and Victory Swing Session Saison.

Goose Island was pretty good, but I think I'm done with winters.
Victory Saison is really tasty. I haven't had much experience with saisons, but if this is an at least decent representation of the style (little help, Kraftster!), I'm down with trying others. A good departure from the heavier porters, stouts, and winters I've been drowning in the past few months.
Finally tried the Victory Saison tonight on draft at Mercurio's. It is pretty solid for a 12 oz saison you can get in cases. I'd say its overall fairly muted in most of the typical saison elements, particularly in the funk category. Not much funk to speak of other than a solid wet band-aid smell. Decent pepperiness, though. I will probably get a case of this for the $ value.

If you liked the Victory, I think the 21st Amendment is a slightly better 12 oz saison (cans). They have six packs at Giant Eagle right now. But really, you should just jump right in and go for the Saison Dupont (green bottle 750 ML, about $9).
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

After writing that, I decided I would go get a Saison Dupont. Instead, I found a "Diabolic Pleasures" Unibroue two (750ML) pack for $13.99 (!!!). Maudite and Eau Benite. I have not been able to find Eau Benite (a tripel) before, which some regard as being better than LFDM. Grabbed the two pack and some peppers. Going to make some vegetarian chili while the beer is chilling. The chili should finish right around the time that the beer is ready. Great Thursday night.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

The Eau Benite is quite good. Definitely more like a traditional tripel than the LFDM, sweeter primarily. Candied sugar, bubble gum, peach smell. All carries over fiarly well in the taste, add in a little canteloupe and white pepper. Not boozy at all.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Any good micro breweries in the South Florida area? (from Miami to West Palm Beach)
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Cigar City and Saint Somewhere in the Tampa area. Can't visit those, but that stuff should be readily available and is high quality.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

Kraftster wrote:Cigar City and Saint Somewhere in the Tampa area. Can't visit those, but that stuff should be readily available and is high quality.
I second this. Sweetwater is also available in the south and their IPA is incredible. Never had anything else by them, but if their IPA is any indication, their stuff is awesome.
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by legame »

Also try Terrapin out of Athens, GA if its available.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

BadHands71 wrote:
Kraftster wrote:Cigar City and Saint Somewhere in the Tampa area. Can't visit those, but that stuff should be readily available and is high quality.
I second this. Sweetwater is also available in the south and their IPA is incredible. Never had anything else by them, but if their IPA is any indication, their stuff is awesome.
I'll second the recommendation on Sweetwater:

http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB ... t#p1849003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And I'm not an IPA fan.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

I appreciate the advice. when I was in Jacksonville a couple of weeks ago I was disappointed that the only regional available was Shinerbock.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

The south has some awesome beers to offer. It's disappointing that the most known brewery out of the Southeast US is Abita. Their stuff is ok, but at the best, its average. Sweetwater, Cigar City and St. Somewhere are awesome breweries
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by ExPatriatePen »

BadHands71 wrote:The south has some awesome beers to offer. It's disappointing that the most known brewery out of the Southeast US is Abita. Their stuff is ok, but at the best, its average. Sweetwater, Cigar City and St. Somewhere are awesome breweries
Ouch, Abita is out of the Mississippi Delta, and I personally don't consider that region the South East.

Plus, I really enjoy Abita. Don't ruin my fun :)
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I am going to a wedding in Baton Rogue this fall, and I was checking out to see what other breweries LA has to offer. Not many at all. They have almost no craft scene it appears.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

ExPatriatePen wrote:
BadHands71 wrote:The south has some awesome beers to offer. It's disappointing that the most known brewery out of the Southeast US is Abita. Their stuff is ok, but at the best, its average. Sweetwater, Cigar City and St. Somewhere are awesome breweries
Ouch, Abita is out of the Mississippi Delta, and I personally don't consider that region the South East.

Sorry, I didn't mean to rain on your parade. I guess its just my personal preferences. I'm an IPA freak and I've not had an IPA or pale ale from Abita that really hit my palate the right way. But I do know that their Purple Haze and other styles are popular. I guess that I've just never had anything from them that has wowed me, regardless of style. Didn't mean to rain on your parade, just not a fan personally. Sorry. :( Oh well, to each their own.

As far as the geographical thing, idk, I've never been sure what's considered the south east, north east, midwest, etc. I guess that's all a matter of opinion too. :scared: :scared: :scared:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by ExPatriatePen »

BadHands71 wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

Sorry, I didn't mean to rain on your parade. I guess its just my personal preferences. I'm an IPA freak and I've not had an IPA or pale ale from Abita that really hit my palate the right way. But I do know that their Purple Haze and other styles are popular. I guess that I've just never had anything from them that has wowed me, regardless of style. Didn't mean to rain on your parade, just not a fan personally. Sorry. :( Oh well, to each their own.

As far as the geographical thing, idk, I've never been sure what's considered the south east, north east, midwest, etc. I guess that's all a matter of opinion too. :scared: :scared: :scared:
No worries, and it is a matter of personal opinion/taste.

I've lived in Biloxi and I'm still doing tons of business in Galveston.

While Biloxi is the south east, once you get within 20 miles of NOLA every changes from there all the way along the gulf coast to Galveston.

I'm sure BEPF has a better take.

As for Abita, you're right, I prefer Turbo Dog as well. :)
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

Heading down to East End today with a couple growlers... anyone had any of the new brews there they like? How bout the swingtops?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

this crap hole 6 pack shop in donora has cases upon cases of penn brewery and labatt "specialty" (their marzen, blonde, etc) that they are trying to get rid of because nobody wants them. they are selling them 45 cents a bottle or 3 for a buck, mix and match, so its like 8 bucks a case. i went in for 3 cases yesterday, and i think im gonna go get more today.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

8 bucks for a case of Penn Marzen?!
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

the wicked child wrote:8 bucks for a case of Penn Marzen?!
yuppers
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

heres what i got yesterday:

Overlook IPA
Penndemonium
Penn Dark
Berry Weisse
Penn Gold
Some Chocolate Stout (the name escapes me)
Penn Pilsner
Marzen
Kolsch
A Couple of different Labatts
Some kind of Harvesty brew
Octoberfest
Nut Roll Ale

the rest i cant read. lol
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

canaan wrote:
yuppers

I'm not even envious; I'm jealous.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

canaan wrote:
yuppers
Wowza.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Whats it run normally?