Hockey Equipment

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
PensHckyFan79
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Hockey Equipment

Post by PensHckyFan79 »

I broke my skate blade last night playing in the beer league. The guys at the rink said it would take weeks to get it in. I have looked online and it appears its going to be about $50 to get it. Any recommendations on places to look for a good price. I have Bauer Vapor XXX skates lightspeed 2 TUUK holders. I'm in Central PA (Altoona) so going to a brick and mortar store over in Pittsburgh is probably out of the question.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Hockey Equipment

Post by Fire0nice228 »

Steel isn't cheap, but taking weeks to come in seems to be absurd. Any good LHS should have steel in stock.

Based on your location, I'd call Kosports (http://www.kosports.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) or any of the LHS in Pitt or Philly and mail them your skates, but depending on the price to ship because of the weight maybe just suck it up and drive..

OR if theres a play it again sports or ebay, go buy a pair of used skates for cheap and pluck the steel from them, just make sure the holder is the right size (288 etc) so that the steel is the same as your current skates.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Call Ziggy's in Johnstown 814-539-5454. If you are up for the drive. I'd bet they have the steel you need.
PensHckyFan79
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by PensHckyFan79 »

Ziggy may be the way to go. I haven't been up there in a a few years. I completely forgot about them. Thanks.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

you could also mail-order and do it yourself. unfortunately Bauers are the biggest PITA to replace steel on because you have to do it from inside the boot rather than just unscrew from the holder.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by bh »

Has anyone here ever tried re-palming a glove?
I like my gloves but they have a huge hole in the palm and if I play a game like that I get blisters bad.
I don't feel like dropping $40-$80 for a new pair that will only last a year or two.
I'm just curious if anyone else has tried sewing on new palms? Where did you get the material? What material was it? How did it work afterwards?

Yes, I am a cheap son of a gun.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

bh wrote:Has anyone here ever tried re-palming a glove?
I like my gloves but they have a huge hole in the palm and if I play a game like that I get blisters bad.
I don't feel like dropping $40-$80 for a new pair that will only last a year or two.
I'm just curious if anyone else has tried sewing on new palms? Where did you get the material? What material was it? How did it work afterwards?

I take mine to a shoe repair shop.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by bh »

meow wrote:

hmmm interesting. How much do they usually charge? I just need the left one done right now. I think i have a shop down the street from me here. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

bh wrote:
meow wrote:

hmmm interesting. How much do they usually charge? I just need the left one done right now. I think i have a shop down the street from me here. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!
He charges me $12 to re-palm my blocker. Not sure about player gloves
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

meow wrote:

I've also done this. I recall it being something like $10 I think...but it was some time ago.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

you can also re-palm the pair by sending it away to a hockey repair shop. I send mine to George's Hockey Repair in Minnesota: http://www.hockeyrepair.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
total cost for both gloves is around $50 so if you're using a cheap pair of gloves it might not be worth it to you.