Amateur Hockey Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Amateur Hockey Thread

Post by CERV96 »

Has anyone ever called roster check before? I really hate winning this way but the team we are playing tonight had two players from another team in our league the last time we played them. I have no problem with that in a regular season game because people need players at times. It's now a round 1 matchup against these guys and was wondering if this is the right thing to do or not?
champeen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by champeen »

i'd say that if you suspect they're bringing in ringers, go ahead and do it.
we're not allowed any subs during the playoffs in our league except for goalies. if you have seven skaters show up, then you skate with seven.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

champeen wrote:sorry for the bump, i just thought this thread had potential to be really good/ongoing and then it just sort of died out.

i'll try to rekindle with this:

do you guys play in a draft league or
one where you bring your whole team?
ours is a draft league (w/ a few 'protects' allowed) and while i enjoy playing with a lot of different guys, there is a learning curve to start every season of trying to get some chemistry going.
a buddy of mine in NY has played with the same team for like 8 years! they're able to play full-on systems. we're lucky to get a decent breakout implemented by season's end.....

our league has both. we have a competitive league where some teams have been together for 20 years and that league is divided by 8 different skill levels from former pro to beginner. we're pretty strict about where people can play. you can play up if you want and a team will take you but under no circumstances can you play below your level.
we also have a recreational league that is re-drafted every season and all skill levels mixed in together. it's great because when we draft you can keep friends and family together. there are no playoffs in that league and there is a 3 goal per player per game limit so the hot dogs that just want to show off by skating around a bunch of old folks stay away.
PensHckyFan79
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by PensHckyFan79 »

That 3 goal limit is great. I just joined a league in my area and there are a couple teams that are the same every year and then some random teams that get thrown together. The best team in the league is only tops because of one player that scores about 8-9 goals a game. I can see both sides of having the same team every season and drafting.
champeen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by champeen »

8-9 goals/game? Wow, that's brutal. I will say the advantage of a draft league is the relative parity. With the highest-skill league drafting first and then each decending league, the players that 'drop' in each draft are available to the next draft down the chain, and then each Captain in that league has access to the top remaining players. We end up with a very competitive 8-team league. Even the best players have PPG under 2.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

My league does a draft system for skaters. It makes the league much more competitive. The only down side is that there are not enough goalies for each team to have one. So we are given a time slot to show up to and play. The lower team in the standings gets to pick their goalie first. I sort of like playing for each team a few times each year, but it's still a bit weird.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

CERV96 wrote:Has anyone ever called roster check before? I really hate winning this way but the team we are playing tonight had two players from another team in our league the last time we played them. I have no problem with that in a regular season game because people need players at times. It's now a round 1 matchup against these guys and was wondering if this is the right thing to do or not?
In the playoffs one year, I was in Vegas at the time, but my team called it I think. I'm really glad I wasn't there for that.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

champeen wrote:i'd say that if you suspect they're bringing in ringers, go ahead and do it.
we're not allowed any subs during the playoffs in our league except for goalies. if you have seven skaters show up, then you skate with seven.
One summer, I wanna say it was June. In the playoffs we played inline with 4. One of the worst experiences of my life, it was like 85 degrees.
champeen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by champeen »

meow wrote:My league does a draft system for skaters. It makes the league much more competitive. The only down side is that there are not enough goalies for each team to have one. So we are given a time slot to show up to and play. The lower team in the standings gets to pick their goalie first. I sort of like playing for each team a few times each year, but it's still a bit weird.
goalies pay half-price in our league which helps bring guys out of the woodwork. we've never had a goalie shortage.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

If somebody on my team called a roster check I'd get undressed and go home
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Anyone know any good leagues in Pittsburgh during the summer?

I'm looking for a low-end league (beginner/D/whatever) that accepts single players as opposed to being team sign-ups.

I live in the North Hills, so I'm trying to find a league/rink that I won't have to drive more than like an hour to play for.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

champeen wrote:
meow wrote:My league does a draft system for skaters. It makes the league much more competitive. The only down side is that there are not enough goalies for each team to have one. So we are given a time slot to show up to and play. The lower team in the standings gets to pick their goalie first. I sort of like playing for each team a few times each year, but it's still a bit weird.
goalies pay half-price in our league which helps bring guys out of the woodwork. we've never had a goalie shortage.
Goalies play free here. Which is actually why I stay in net
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

anybody looking for some pro stock pants at a fair price: http://www.hockeymonkey.com/reebok-pro-stock-pants.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
they have Reebok 520 and 7000 in a whole slew of different teams. they've got some CCM's on another page as well.
oh, and don't forget to use a coupon code!
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ajh2298 »

I know this is more for ice hockey but figured I would post this since we are so desperate.

Could use a couple of forwards and a defenceman for our Dek Hockey team in Cranberry. We are in the lowest of the "D" leagues they have up there. We are one game into the season (1-0) and have nine regular season games left plus playoffs. Our next game is Sunday at 3:00 pm let me know if you are interested. Our team color is red and the total cost would be like $40.00 total.
champeen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by champeen »

shoeshine boy wrote:anybody looking for some pro stock pants at a fair price: http://www.hockeymonkey.com/reebok-pro-stock-pants.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
they have Reebok 520 and 7000 in a whole slew of different teams. they've got some CCM's on another page as well.
oh, and don't forget to use a coupon code!
have you ever worn either of those models of reebok pants? based on the pictures i feel like i would prefer the cut of the 520, but i wouldnt be able to try them on without going to dallas. also, i've never seen that sharks pant in my life... do they wear those?
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

I haven't worn those models much if at all but one of the other boards I post on has a great thread comparing the 2:
http://www.sports2k.com/forum/index.php ... -compared/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

they had some Penguins 3rds incorrectly listed as Florida Panthers pants but I didn't think to post about this until yesterday. sorry!
also, the Sharks wear those pants all the time:
including last night:
PensHckyFan79
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by PensHckyFan79 »

been a while but my adult league in altoona just went to crap today. Went to double check the schedule for this weekend and found out people have been complaining about how competitive or lack of there has been in the games lately. So the idea was then to merge the "minor" and "major" leagues into one big league which I could only see as making the problem worse. To now they are trying to restructure the entire thing and restart the spring season on Sunday.

The only way I can see making a somewhat competitive league is to do a draft every season/year and thats your team for the season/year. Right now there are 2 good teams because they are teams that have been together for 10 years, plus some pretty talented guys.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Post by Godric »

Lace bite.

I need a cure.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Godric wrote:Lace bite.

I need a cure.
Peanut butter.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Post by Godric »

Rylan wrote:

I need a cure.
Peanut butter.
yeah, I don't think thats going to work.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Godric »

Rylan wrote:Source
okay thats pretty awesome.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

PensHckyFan79 wrote:been a while but my adult league in altoona just went to crap today. Went to double check the schedule for this weekend and found out people have been complaining about how competitive or lack of there has been in the games lately. So the idea was then to merge the "minor" and "major" leagues into one big league which I could only see as making the problem worse. To now they are trying to restructure the entire thing and restart the spring season on Sunday.

The only way I can see making a somewhat competitive league is to do a draft every season/year and thats your team for the season/year. Right now there are 2 good teams because they are teams that have been together for 10 years, plus some pretty talented guys.
Sounds like the same problem we had in our league for years. Same core players on one team, save for one or two add-on players that were usually alternates. Anytime they suggested a draft league, this team and one other (similar situation with core, but not as good and had more people rotating on the roster) threw a fit and threatened to pull out of the league. They even tried to compromise and say that they could do a protected list of players. I forget the exact number but it was where they would protect half the roster, do several rounds of drafts, and any undrafted players would be returned to their team.

So glad I don't have to deal with that crap anymore. My bigger problem is now having to find a team in a different city. :(
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

I need a cure.
I've never used a lace bite pad because I've never (knock on wood) had lace bite but a few companies make things that should help:
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/hockey-a-r-ac-bite-pad.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/elite-sport ... l-pad.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

JS© wrote:
PensHckyFan79 wrote:been a while but my adult league in altoona just went to crap today. Went to double check the schedule for this weekend and found out people have been complaining about how competitive or lack of there has been in the games lately. So the idea was then to merge the "minor" and "major" leagues into one big league which I could only see as making the problem worse. To now they are trying to restructure the entire thing and restart the spring season on Sunday.

Sounds like the same problem we had in our league for years. Same core players on one team, save for one or two add-on players that were usually alternates. Anytime they suggested a draft league, this team and one other (similar situation with core, but not as good and had more people rotating on the roster) threw a fit and threatened to pull out of the league. They even tried to compromise and say that they could do a protected list of players. I forget the exact number but it was where they would protect half the roster, do several rounds of drafts, and any undrafted players would be returned to their team.

So glad I don't have to deal with that crap anymore. My bigger problem is now having to find a team in a different city. :(
I have found inline leagues down in MD and VA, but have yet to join one. I am so far removed from playing that i'm going to be horrible no matter what I try to play. :scared: