Is it too early to talk buyers/sellers?

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Is it too early to talk buyers/sellers?

Post by MarioLives »

With the trade deadline coming and half the season complete, is it too early to talk buyers/sellers and what may happen? There could be some teams that are usually buyers, selling this year....like the Caps (I hope) and the Flyers (I hope more).
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Is it too early to talk buyers/sellers?

Post by canaan »

I like to use GP v. Pts as a good barometer of buyers and sellers on a most base level. If you have less points than games played, there is a good shot that you will be missing the second season.

Sellers as of now (but could change with a hot streak, like what is currently happening in Columbus):

Philadelphia
Buffalo
Washington
Tampa
Florida
Columbus
Calgary
Edmonton
Colorado is even money
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Fire0nice228 »

I think the flyers are in real trouble.. they've played more games than anyone in the East and are 3 points out of the playoffs. They arn't playing real good hockey right now either. The West seems to be a bit tighter and I don't think anyone there would really be a 'seller' until you get down to Colorado, Columbus, Edm and Cgy. The Flames have supposedly stated that they simply are not going to tear down and rebuild, (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion ... perry.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) so who the hell knows what they'd be willing to sell at this point.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

Flyers will need to play .750 hockey to make the playoffs.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by MarioLives »

If the Caps are out of it, do you think there would be any chance to pry Brooks from them? I have always liked his game.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

I don't see Philly selling. They'll go down swinging this season.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by joopen »

MarioLives wrote:If the Caps are out of it, do you think there would be any chance to pry Brooks from them? I have always liked his game.
No not to mention his contract doesn't fit for the future
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

MarioLives wrote:If the Caps are out of it, do you think there would be any chance to pry Brooks from them? I have always liked his game.
I like him a lot, but thats a big cap hit for quite a while. Doesn't really fit in Pittsburgh. Also he is the true captain of that team, even McPhee has to be aware of that.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

The flyers don't have anyone to sell. And they'll be close enough at the time of the deadline that they won't be selling even if they did.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Holmgrem never does anything small... I could actually see them selling/retooling at the deadline, maybe betting that their chances at a top 3 draft pick are better than a playoff spot. That might mean Briere (Vancouver?), Coburn, Tank.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Colorado is trending up. They'll be battling for a playoff spot. They won't sell, but they would do a hockey trade, especially if someone came asking about Statsny.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

It's tough if you're Philadelphia, if you start selling, you start shipping off pieces that you just acquired...that's not normally a good sign. They did just free up a contract slot by moving a minor leaguer to Columbus for futures...not sure if anyone wants to read anything into that or not...

Colorado has been trying to move an excess d-man for a little while now...they could stand to freshen up their lineup a little and add to their prospect pool, they have no forwards on the way and their forward depth now is fairly suspect in spots...it's a lot of patchwork it feels like, very few well-grounded, foundation pieces...

That's an organization that probably could be flushed out completely from top to bottom and be better off for it...
RPKJr429
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by RPKJr429 »

Sam Carchidi ‏@BroadStBull
Bryz says Flyers are "done" if they lose next two to NJ. #Flyers
Interesting for bryz to make those comments. It'll be interesting to see how these games turn out.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Desiato »

As of now, I don't see a lot of selling for a few reasons:
- a lot of bad contracts
- only a few teams clearly trending out of the playoffs
- most teams trending out of the playoffs have young cores
- only a couple of established teams that may go into rebuilding mode

It's way too early to count the Flyers out and it's hard to imagine they'll be sellers when/if they are. They are more likely to make a pre-deadline splash to right their ship. Holmgren might be talking to Calgary the most right now. They are also one of the few teams that have the combination of being a desirable destination and trade assets that could actually take a reasonable gamble on Perry.

If the Caps don't turn things around quickly, it'll be interesting to see where Mike Ribeiro goes.
With the animosity Ted has for the Pens, I can't see this happening, even if both GMs wanted to.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

It will be interesting to see how the ability for teams to retain cap space in a trade will play out this deadline.

Likewise, with the upcoming amnesty buyouts, a team like the Pens could take on a bad contract and just buy the guy out this summer or next if things don't work out.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

No. He should be their captain.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Desiato »

pcm wrote:It will be interesting to see how the ability for teams to retain cap space in a trade will play out this deadline.

Likewise, with the upcoming amnesty buyouts, a team like the Pens could take on a bad contract and just buy the guy out this summer or next if things don't work out.
Is this possible? In the NBA, teams can only amnesty players on contract and on roster at the time the new CBA went into effect. So players obtained via trade after are ineligible. I assumed it was the same in the NHL, but I haven't researched it. I also assume if it were possible, we'd see it referenced in trade rumors.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I heard nothing that says you can't do that.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Kraftster wrote:The flyers don't have anyone to sell. And they'll be close enough at the time of the deadline that they won't be selling even if they did.
Briere? He'd be a huge get and then buy-out at the end of the season. Not sure of terms but GM's have certainly made worse deals. Especially if you're a GM and think your team can go deep. A buy-out may be worth it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I always forget how high his cap hit is. Cheap to buyout though, the Pens could probably afford that.
jagr's mullet
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by jagr's mullet »

I was listening to the Marek v Wyshynski podcast this afternoon and they had a Flyer beat writer on (Frank Seravalli). When asked about if/when Philly would become sellers, he mentioned that Edmonton inquired about Talbot.