Ryan Getzlaf signs eight year extension in Anaheim

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Ryan Getzlaf signs eight year extension in Anaheim

Post by Guido »

A bit much, but as has been said, he's their franchise. He's a really good player, Ducks fans should be happy.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Fire0nice228 wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:
Great58 wrote:
brwi wrote:Enjoy over-paying like a maniac for a guy who isn't close to being an elite.
So much for the new economic structure of the CBA. :roll:
But it is the new economic structure of the CBA. No more front loading to reduce cap hits. No more obscene contract length to hide what a player is really making. Everyone is going to be shocked when Malkin has a cap hit $2 million higher than Crosby, but that's the way of the world now. Crosby has a cap hit of $8.7 million, but doesn't make less than $9 million until the 10th year of his deal. Salaries are roughly going to stay the same, its the cap hit that's going to increase.
Theres alot of yinzers on this board who can't figure that concept out though. There was humangous big topic about it a few months ago
Getzlaf isn't worth that in any 1 year, so i'm not sure what you're talking about. Crosby is worth the max in any one year. You're comparing apples and rotten apples that were never that great.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

another reason to hate that marek vs wyshinski podcast

they described the getzlaf contract as a "good deal". jesus christ.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Fire0nice228 »

Idoit40fans wrote:
Fire0nice228 wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:
Great58 wrote:
brwi wrote:Enjoy over-paying like a maniac for a guy who isn't close to being an elite.
So much for the new economic structure of the CBA. :roll:
But it is the new economic structure of the CBA. No more front loading to reduce cap hits. No more obscene contract length to hide what a player is really making. Everyone is going to be shocked when Malkin has a cap hit $2 million higher than Crosby, but that's the way of the world now. Crosby has a cap hit of $8.7 million, but doesn't make less than $9 million until the 10th year of his deal. Salaries are roughly going to stay the same, its the cap hit that's going to increase.
Theres alot of yinzers on this board who can't figure that concept out though. There was humangous big topic about it a few months ago
Getzlaf isn't worth that in any 1 year, so i'm not sure what you're talking about. Crosby is worth the max in any one year. You're comparing apples and rotten apples that were never that great.
Did I say the name Getzlaf anywhere in my post? I was simply pointing out how many people couldn't (can't) wrap their heads around how Malkins cap hit will be higher than Sids because "Teh Sid is the best!1!!". Getzlaf has nothing to do with what I was commenting on. Go back to the CBA thread and/or the Crosby extension thread and try to wrap your head around some of the comments in there.

Furthermore, I believe we'll see alot of contracts that we all say 'he isn't worth it' but as pointed out, you can't hide it anymore. If they had signed him to a 12 year deal with 4 cheater years at the end to pull that cap hit down to 6.5 or 7 we might have been saying 'well thats not such a bad deal for their franchise player.'
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

While I agree that its a bit of an overpayment for Getzlaf, I think people are greatly exaggerating how much of an overpayment it is. He has a down year last year, but has rebounded nicely and has been a consistent point producer in the league. He was taken in the same draft class as Eric Staal (also overpaid) and has similar career numbers (higher PPG, lower goal totals), is more physical, more defensively responsible, and is the Ducks' franchise player. Good luck convincing Getzlaf's agent that he isn't worth as much as the closest peer in his draft class. The market for Getzlaf was set three years ago when Staal signed his deal.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Dickie Dunn wrote:While I agree that its a bit of an overpayment for Getzlaf, I think people are greatly exaggerating how much of an overpayment it is. He has a down year last year, but has rebounded nicely and has been a consistent point producer in the league. He was taken in the same draft class as Eric Staal (also overpaid) and has similar career numbers (higher PPG, lower goal totals), is more physical, more defensively responsible, and is the Ducks' franchise player. Good luck convincing Getzlaf's agent that he isn't worth as much as the closest peer in his draft class. The market for Getzlaf was set three years ago when Staal signed his deal.
i don't really like staal's deal either, but at least it doesn't extend to when he's 36.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Fire0nice228 wrote:Did I say the name Getzlaf anywhere in my post? I was simply pointing out how many people couldn't (can't) wrap their heads around how Malkins cap hit will be higher than Sids because "Teh Sid is the best!1!!". Getzlaf has nothing to do with what I was commenting on. Go back to the CBA thread and/or the Crosby extension thread and try to wrap your head around some of the comments in there.

Furthermore, I believe we'll see alot of contracts that we all say 'he isn't worth it' but as pointed out, you can't hide it anymore. If they had signed him to a 12 year deal with 4 cheater years at the end to pull that cap hit down to 6.5 or 7 we might have been saying 'well thats not such a bad deal for their franchise player.'
You're in a Getzlaf thread, Getzlaf appears in every post. And while people would have a problem with Malkin having a higher cap hit than Crosby, they wouldn't argue that he's not worth the max. This isn't about Getzlaf vs anyoen else, this is about Getzlaf period. He isn't worth he got paid. Not for 1 year, not for 8 years, not for 20 years. The guy isn't going to get better. He got paid like he was 23 and already a world beater. He's 27, the optimistic view is that he's gonna plateau for 5 years, but thats unlikely even if Perry stays(also unlikely).
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Getzlaf hasn't broken 80 points since 08-09.

Beating a dead horse, but he's just simply not worth what he's getting paid. He's having a rebound year PPG-wise, but the history shows that he probably wouldn't be able to keep his 1.3 PPG pace that he has this year.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Fire0nice228 »

Idoit40fans wrote:
Fire0nice228 wrote:Did I say the name Getzlaf anywhere in my post? I was simply pointing out how many people couldn't (can't) wrap their heads around how Malkins cap hit will be higher than Sids because "Teh Sid is the best!1!!". Getzlaf has nothing to do with what I was commenting on. Go back to the CBA thread and/or the Crosby extension thread and try to wrap your head around some of the comments in there.

You're in a Getzlaf thread, Getzlaf appears in every post. And while people would have a problem with Malkin having a higher cap hit than Crosby, they wouldn't argue that he's not worth the max. This isn't about Getzlaf vs anyoen else, this is about Getzlaf period. He isn't worth he got paid. Not for 1 year, not for 8 years, not for 20 years. The guy isn't going to get better. He got paid like he was 23 and already a world beater. He's 27, the optimistic view is that he's gonna plateau for 5 years, but thats unlikely even if Perry stays(also unlikely).

Dude, the post I originally quoted didn't have the word Getzlaf in it. It was all about Crosby/Malkin and, more importantly, what is going to happen to cap hits in general with regard to the new CBA (seeing how this IS the first big deal under the new agreement). But yeah, I'm done with this, because your reading comprehension skills are leaving too much to be desired at this point.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by André »

8.25 for Getzlaf and 8.625 for Perry. That's steep, and a reminder of how lucky we Pens fans are.