GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by the wicked child »

My cousin just informed me that he has procured a White Monkey for me. Hell yes.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/23922/65842" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Has this last week, IPA in a can. It was fantabulous.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/158/88572" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

got this from mad mex last night, it was served in a 16oz pint glass. mad mex is really out of their element if they have anything aside from an ipa on draft.

i'm paying the price now, but it was great last night
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Hitting the BSDA trail tonight with Westmalle dubbel and Ommegang Art of Darkness.

The Westmalle is really good. Nice flavor with enough hops to be noticed but balanced with the yeast and dark fruit and toffee notes.

Also picked up Ten Fidy and Breckenridge Imperial chocolate creame stout.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Had Blue Mountain Dark Hollow on tap tonight. Excellent. Very smooth for an imperial stout. The more barrel aged stouts I drink, the more I like. The beer advocate reviews are a bit scattered on this one, but I loved it.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16352/39417" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

Aventinus is Aventastic!

it's been faaaaaar too long
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

If you guys haven't had Lancaster's Milk Stout in the nitro bottles, do yourself a favor and have it.

Long Trail IPA - Absolutely disgusting. How dare they call this an IPA....it smells like a pilsner.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Eismann wrote:Hitting the BSDA trail tonight with Westmalle dubbel and Ommegang Art of Darkness.

The Westmalle is really good. Nice flavor with enough hops to be noticed but balanced with the yeast and dark fruit and toffee notes.

Not a real fan of Art of Darkness to start. First few sips and it's too hoppy for my taste and the wheat malts are not helping. Maybe I'll sing a different tune later.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Eismann wrote:
Eismann wrote:Hitting the BSDA trail tonight with Westmalle dubbel and Ommegang Art of Darkness.

Not a real fan of Art of Darkness to start. First few sips and it's too hoppy for my taste and the wheat malts are not helping. Maybe I'll sing a different tune later.
The Breckenridge is ok. The chocolate and cream seem to be vying for top billing, so the taste isn't as clear as it could be.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Last night I went to shogun and had a sapporo.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malkinshair »

Wow...I may have found a new favorite IPA.

Ballast Point Sculpin IPA.

It's a 7%, but very drinkable. Perfect balance of the citrus, grass, and malts. The citrus fruits dominate the aftertaste. This is as balanced of an IPA as I've had in a long time. I'd never even heard of this one, but Whole Foods had it as a separate...kinda mad I only got 1. :face:
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I tried Sculpin for the first time a month or two ago...it is an awesome IPA. Much, MUCH better than their other IPA offering (and more expensive as well). For a while, Wegman's was accidentally stocking it in their Make your own six pack...moneyyy
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Goose Island Christmas Ale is good
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I tried Troegs Nugget Nectar and Victory Hop Wallop tonight in the Spieglau/DFH IPA glass. The Nugget Nectar was surprisingly tolerable for 90 IBUs, so maybe there is something to this glass. The Hop Wallop I did not like at all. In addition to being more tongue biting, I found it to be medium bodied, which I don't think I like in an IPA.

Aside from the experimentation, I had a couple 21st Amendment Sneak Attack (Saison) cans and a bomber of Goose Island Sofie (saison). Yum on both. Really a big fan of the Sofie.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Hop Wallop is a rare brew from Victory that I dislike.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Also got a couple Lagunitas Sucks to try in the IPA glass.
Pretty nice little sixer at Whole Foods with Sucks, Hop Wallop, Nugget Nectar, Old Rasputin, Fascist Pig.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

I was at Mad Mex and had the Fat Head's Rye Saison. Very nice...I was worried it would be too bitter, but the rye just added a nice, deep body to the saison.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Which Mad Mex has that? I'd love to try it.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Has anyone had the Great Lakes Alchemy Hour Double IPA? The four-packs are at Wegman's now and I think I might get some. REviews are great.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

Kraftster wrote:Which Mad Mex has that? I'd love to try it.
The Cranberry Mad Mex. They seem to have a lot of Fat Head's stuff on tap on a regular basis (not that I'm a huge fan of Fat Head's, but that seems to be the distinguishing feature of that MM beer selection).
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

shafnutz05 wrote:Has anyone had the Great Lakes Alchemy Hour Double IPA? The four-packs are at Wegman's now and I think I might get some. REviews are great.
Bad hands mentioned it a couple pages ago and said she loved it. I looked for it last week and couldn't find it yet here.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

shafnutz05 wrote:Has anyone had the Great Lakes Alchemy Hour Double IPA? The four-packs are at Wegman's now and I think I might get some. REviews are great.
Just posted about it recently. Maybe my new favorite DIPA/imperial IPA. Amazing balance and depth to the hops. It makes me smile drinking it. I would even encourage Kraftster to try one. It's so drinkable for a 9.4% beer too. It's not as hoppy as some single IPAs that I've had. The hops are clearly present but no single hope characteristic dominates. There is just something unique about that beer. Great Lakes nailed it.

On a side note, Ballast Point Sculpin is one of my favorite single IPA offerings. I just wish it wasn't so expensive.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Samuel Smith's organic chocolate stout :thumb:
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

BadHands71 wrote:
Just posted about it recently. Maybe my new favorite DIPA/imperial IPA. Amazing balance and depth to the hops. It makes me smile drinking it. I would even encourage Kraftster to try one. It's so drinkable for a 9.4% beer too. It's not as hoppy as some single IPAs that I've had. The hops are clearly present but no single hope characteristic dominates. There is just something unique about that beer. Great Lakes nailed it.

On a side note, Ballast Point Sculpin is one of my favorite single IPA offerings. I just wish it wasn't so expensive.

Barley's and Hops in Bethel Park had this on tap yesterday.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Just snagged last 4 pack of alchemy hour, getting excited for this and pens