George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by eddysnake »

the wicked child wrote:Hmmm.... just noticed the double post now.

Anywho... blew through Season 2 last weekend... I enjoyed it a lot more as a whole than I necessarily did on the original viewing. Extremely fired up for Season 3.
I was wondering about this, during season 2, I thought it would play out better this way. It will be tough, but I may wait and do this on HBO Go after season 3 is over or at least start it halfway through the season or at least after episode 1.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Looks great, dragon CGI, what little we saw, looks much better than the cartoonish white walkers we saw at the end of season 2.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Deleted Scenes from Season 2

These are pretty good.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

[youtube][/youtube]

Extended trailer
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Does season 2 pick up a bit?
I watched first two episodes last night and they seemed pretty average....maybe I just want more Winter action?
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Haven't read the books and have only gotten through Season 1 and the first episode of Season 2. Enjoying this much more than I thought I would. Don't have all the names down yet but love the Imp. Surprised at many of the turns and treachery. Can't wait to catch up to the end of Season 2 in time to begin season 3. I'll be here more frequently once I do. Don't want to accidentally read any spoilers.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

columbia wrote:Does season 2 pick up a bit?
I watched first two episodes last night and they seemed pretty average....maybe I just want more Winter action?
It picks up. The first couple episodes are definitely weak compared to the rest.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

blackjack68 wrote:Haven't read the books and have only gotten through Season 1 and the first episode of Season 2. Enjoying this much more than I thought I would. Don't have all the names down yet but love the Imp. Surprised at many of the turns and treachery. Can't wait to catch up to the end of Season 2 in time to begin season 3. I'll be here more frequently once I do. Don't want to accidentally read any spoilers.
I've read none of the books, but i've watched every episode of the series at least twice. I don't have the names down, I suspect that I never will.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

It can definitely be tricky to keep track of names. I've been able to do a better job since reading the books, but I was in the same boat before that.

I can understand why they changed some character's names... For instance, Yara was Asha in the books... Which is very close to Osha.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

http://towerofthehand.com/

This is a great resource for fans. It has all the character info you could want, maps, family trees. The best part is it contains "Cliff's Notes" of every chapter from every book. You could read all the notes and have a really good idea of what is going on. It's also a great way to refresh the memories of those who have read before.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I don't think that I did enough book learnin' up at the college, to keep up with everyone.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

Idoit40fans wrote:
blackjack68 wrote:Haven't read the books and have only gotten through Season 1 and the first episode of Season 2. Enjoying this much more than I thought I would. Don't have all the names down yet but love the Imp. Surprised at many of the turns and treachery. Can't wait to catch up to the end of Season 2 in time to begin season 3. I'll be here more frequently once I do. Don't want to accidentally read any spoilers.
I've read none of the books, but i've watched every episode of the series at least twice. I don't have the names down, I suspect that I never will.
Learning names is worse in the books because every character, no matter how minor, is mentioned in a description of a room. For example, if there is a party, everyone will be mentioned. They also talk about historical characters a lot, and some of them have the same name as current characters.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Its harder for the book readers to remember names in the TV show since they have combined so many characters
PensHckyFan79
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by PensHckyFan79 »

I finished the 2nd book a long time before watching the 2nd season, so when I was watching it on HBO I could only compare general story lines and not every little detail, which made for a more pleasant experience for me. I thought the 2nd season was good, but I do feel that things strayed more form the book than the 1st season and I feel some things got lost.
Spoiler:
Not a big fan of how Jamie Lanister was let go in the HBO series. Having it happen in River Run and taking him out of the Dungeon would have been cool to see. Anther thing was Arya asking for help freeing the captured north men and then escaping would have been cool to see in the TV series.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

i don't really have much beef with how the stories got changed in season 2, compared to the book.
Spoiler:
especially the danerys story. big whoop, the dragons didn't really get kidnapped. she ended up in the same place, and the story in the book wasn't any good anyways. there will probably be a lot of fudging of her story on the show since it's boring and/or repetitive as all hell in the book
Pucks_and_Pols
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Pucks_and_Pols »

shmenguin wrote:i don't really have much beef with how the stories got changed in season 2, compared to the book.
Spoiler:
especially the danerys story. big whoop, the dragons didn't really get kidnapped. she ended up in the same place, and the story in the book wasn't any good anyways. there will probably be a lot of fudging of her story on the show since it's boring and/or repetitive as all hell in the book
Spoiler:
Thank You Shmenguin, I really wasn't interested by Dany's story, at all, until book 5. I remember the first time I read through book 1 I eventually started skipping her chapters to find out what happened to all the other characters first.
PensHckyFan79
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by PensHckyFan79 »

I agree shmenguin I did not mind the difference in her story line for some reason. Also I feel I need to invest my time in her character in the early books because of the Dragons I feel she has to be important later on. I liked her chapters in the first book with the drogo, but I thought her chapters were pretty boring in the 2nd. I just started the 3rd book last month and wish I had more time to read.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

careful on the spoilers, there. even mentioning that a character still exists in future books kind of takes the fun out of it for some of the people reading this thread.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

shmenguin wrote:i don't really have much beef with how the stories got changed in season 2, compared to the book.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
It was handled poorly though... Her dragons are taken in one episode. She then spends the entire next episode saying " o, dragons, dragons, wherefore art thou dragons?". Then she isn't in the the next episode, then FINALLY part way through the last episode, she finally goes into the House of the Undying...
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

True enough. But HBO didn't have much to work with from the source material. It would have been tough to make that a good arc.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I suppose that's fair... but I think a few tweaks could have made it work better. That said, I don' think they would have been willing to show less of Dany to make it happen.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

shmenguin wrote:
columbia wrote:Does season 2 pick up a bit?
It picks up. The first couple episodes are definitely weak compared to the rest.
I'm 5 episodes in and things have really picked up.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

It's worth reiterating that even though season 2 is solid, the stuff that happens in book three is so amazing that season 3 will most definitely blow your freaking mind.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I have free HBO now and definitely will keep that going through the end of season 3.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I just finished S2E8...some serious shizzle has happened and I imagine it continues in the last two.
Have to take a break for the Pens game, but I know what I'm doing tomorrow night.