The Walking Dead

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Walking Dead - Season 3

Post by Hockeynut! »

shmenguin wrote:not advancing the plot was a good thing.
Definitely. I needed a break from the Gov. vs Rick drama. I also enjoyed Rick more in this episode than I have all season. He was actually a character I can care about again.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

the governor vs. rick...the epic showdown of two dudes who have never even met, and know almost nothing about each other
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

shmenguin wrote:the governor vs. rick...the epic showdown of two dudes who have never even met, and know almost nothing about each other
So...
Spoiler:
In the comic, Glen, Rick and Michone find Woodbury, Governor hacks off Rick's hand when they don't give up the prison location, and brutally rapes Michone.

Glen and Rick escape with "help" from a mole but Michone goes back and cuts off the governor's arm, castrates him and pops his eye out.
Comic book has a much different relation between Rick and the governor. It really doesn't make too much sense right now.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

DelPen wrote:
shmenguin wrote:the governor vs. rick...the epic showdown of two dudes who have never even met, and know almost nothing about each other
So...
Spoiler:
In the comic, Glen, Rick and Michone find Woodbury, Governor hacks off Rick's hand when they don't give up the prison location, and brutally rapes Michone.

Glen and Rick escape with "help" from a mole but Michone goes back and cuts off the governor's arm, castrates him and pops his eye out.
Comic book has a much different relation between Rick and the governor. It really doesn't make too much sense right now.
Yes but
Spoiler:
Rick losing his hand in the TV show would turn off so many viewers. He is the "hero" and must remain whole. And the rapes have been kept out for obvious reasons.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Right but those two things explained the tension much better.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Delpen tells you why it is different in the comics, but even so, to me, it's not Rick vs the Govenor in the TV show, it's the prison group vs the woodbury group, and neither trust each other.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

JeffDFD wrote:Or he is a spy for the governor...or a nut job like the lead prisoner that tried to kill Rick. Or the other two with Tyrese who were going to try to take over. Can't trust just anyone.
If that's the case, why even try to survive? I'm not saying Rick and his group should welcome anyone and everyone no questions asked, but I don't see any sense in living if you feel like you need to stay holed up in a fort, completely isolated from the world around you and too paranoid to reach out to others and rebuild some semblance of a society. Obviously the show is fiction, but it's pretty sad if that's what humanity would truly be reduced to in an apocalyptic scenario.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

Last night's episode was great.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

PensFanInDC wrote:
DelPen wrote:
So...
Spoiler:

Yes but
Spoiler:
Rick losing his hand in the TV show would turn off so many viewers. He is the "hero" and must remain whole. And the rapes have been kept out for obvious reasons.
Perhaps, but money is the only reason they didn't do it.
Spoiler:
They felt it would be too expensive to remove his hand via CGI because of the amount on on-screen time he gets as the main character.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

tfrizz wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:
DelPen wrote:
So...
Spoiler:

Yes but
Spoiler:
Perhaps, but money is the only reason they didn't do it.
Spoiler:
They felt it would be too expensive to remove his hand via CGI because of the amount on on-screen time he gets as the main character.
Well
Spoiler:
An Eye for an Eye is much easier/cheaper to pull off.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Yeah, I'm wondering what it costs to remove Hershel's leg each episode.

In another thread on this board, there is a video of VFX team at work (the Oscars thread with John Woo forgetting to thank his VFX crew?) with all of the different scenes that use VFX. Obviously, sci-fi/fantasy like TWD and Game of Thrones are the first things I think of with VFX, but these scenes were from dramas and comedies. Like the Matt Leblanc show Episodes - it uses a ton of VFX shots, which I guess are cheaper than shooting on location.

Pretty cool stuff on shows that I had no idea used the technology (or NEEDED to use the tech!)
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Yeah, I'm wondering what it costs to remove Hershel's leg each episode.
Most of time he is shot from the knee up so not that much really.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

PensFanInDC wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Yeah, I'm wondering what it costs to remove Hershel's leg each episode.
Most of time he is shot from the knee up so not that much really.
Yeah, I've been watching it closely. Usually, the beginning or end of a shot will have CGI but never an entire shot with him in it. Pretty cool.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

I liked this week's episode. The Walking Dead has the potential to be another Breaking Bad, but it rarely (if ever) hits that level. Breaking Bad is able to make whole episodes just about Walt and Jesse hanging out in the meth lab, and these episodes are riveting. Then, it intersperses these types of character episodes with insane action episodes that work that much better, since we really know and relate to/sympathize with the characters.

The Walking Dead has always been pretty good at the big zombie-killing action scenes, but it's character development has been non-existent or poorly executed. This week helped with that a bit by giving a little peek into where Michonne is coming from and showed that while Carl is mostly a stone-cold killer on the surface at this point, there still is other stuff going on inside his head. I also liked the juxtaposition of Rick and Morgan. Both have gone crazy to some extent, but obviously, Morgan is further around the bend than Rick. I figured the show would have to have Rick get back at least part way towards competent and rational before the ultimate showdown with the Governor, but I was worried it would accomplish this through some lazy, contrived method (e.g. Hershel telling Rick he needs to snap out of it to protect his kids, and then Rick suddenly saying, "Gee, Hershel, you're right." and being completely normal afterwards). By seeing Morgan and the parallels to his own situation and behavior, maybe this provides a more organic, gradual way for Rick to pull himself back together.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I think the show would be better if one of the "good" people just got fed up with Carl and broke him in half. Then as he was dieing, Rich just says "...thats about right", and its shot from Carl's point of view and then the camera cuts as if that is the last thing Carl sees/hears.

I don't care for Carl. :pop:
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

I'm not crazy about the Carl character, but he does seem pretty "real". He's what, 12? Sure, he's been forced to grow up a lot due to the situation, but he's a kid. He's going to do really stupid things and take dangerous risks sometimes because he's immature. Compare him to people like Lori or Andrea - adults who do really stupid things - and he comes off even better. ;)
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Hockeynut! wrote:I'm not crazy about the Carl character, but he does seem pretty "real". He's what, 12? Sure, he's been forced to grow up a lot due to the situation, but he's a kid. He's going to do really stupid things and take dangerous risks sometimes because he's immature. Compare him to people like Lori or Andrea - adults who do really stupid things - and he comes off even better. ;)
Yep...He acts like a 12-13 year old boy.
If you don't like his character, you probably just object to having a child in the story.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

i like the carl character. i hate the carl actor. he's just awful.

they made a mistake by not re-casting him after season 2. something like 6-8 months passed between seasons 2 and 3. if he looked different, it was palatable. though at this point, they could re-cast him in mid-episode and i'd be ok with it
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

How much different do you think someone looks after 6-8 months even at 12 years old?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

PensFanInDC wrote:How much different do you think someone looks after 6-8 months even at 12 years old?
6-8 months of zombiepocolypse...they should've casted sam elliott as carl.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

canaan wrote: 6-8 months of zombiepocolypse...they should've casted sam elliott as carl.
:lol:
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

I like the Carl character and am OK with the Carl actor. He's not the best actor, but the whole cast of the show isn't actually oozing with acting talent, so to me, he doesn't stick out as exceptionally bad. It's not like Mad Men where the whole cast is pretty much fantastic, and then there's January Jones and Matthew Weiner's son.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

PensFanInDC wrote:How much different do you think someone looks after 6-8 months even at 12 years old?
i'm just saying that was their chance if they were ever going to do it. that kid is just so, so terrible
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

I actually think the kid that plays Carl is growing into his character and hasn't been that bad this season.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

newarenanow wrote:I actually think the kid that plays Carl is growing into his character and hasn't been that bad this season.

He hasn't. For some reason, the board is unfairly harsh on this show.