The Walking Dead

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Walking Dead - Season 3

Post by Hockeynut! »

columbia wrote:People complain about a lack of character development and then there's complaining when it actually happens?
Who's complaining? This ep didn't advance the plot of the series at all, but I said that I was very happy with Michonne's change.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

FC44 is complaining, for one. ;)
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Hey, some actual character development for Michonne. I guess it would have just been too crazy to do that earlier. I was fine with the episode. Even though it didn't advance the plot, it delivered some MUCH needed development.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

columbia wrote:FC44 is complaining, for one. ;)
Gotta love me... ;)
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

that was one of the best episodes in a long time.

woodbury blows. we've known it all along. but having a less-is-more episode like this only illustrates that even more.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

shmenguin wrote:that was one of the best episodes in a long time.

woodbury blows. we've known it all along. but having a less-is-more episode like this only illustrates that even more.
Is it just Woodbury... or the lack of Andrea? Because I've wanted to see her go for about 2 seasons now.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by JeffDFD »

I enjoyed the episode. Shows the impact of the post apocalyptic world on different types of people in different situations.

Imagine the hitchhiker thinking he is finally saved
Being alone in this type of world makes you go insane
Being burned by other humans makes you callous.
Holding on to the last remnants (picture) of civilization

Good stuff
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

The bashing this show gets boggles my mind.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

I still don't see the bashing, but...

I just found out that this episode was written by the guy who will be the new showrunner. I think that's a GREAT sign and I really look forward to seeing where he takes things.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Bashing might be a strong word. The general pickyness of a lot of TWD viewers is astounding...
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by npv708 »

I liked this episode a lot. Great time to bring in Morgan, especially for Rick. Michonne's character finally got some life, which was great, but I'm actually starting to wonder if this was the plan all along, as I think her previous lack of personality/talking made this much more significant. I thought this was the best episode in a while and next week the meeting between Rick and the Gov should be interesting...I hope.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by JeffDFD »

npv708 wrote:I liked this episode a lot. Great time to bring in Morgan, especially for Rick. Michonne's character finally got some life, which was great, but I'm actually starting to wonder if this was the plan all along, as I think her previous lack of personality/talking made this much more significant. I thought this was the best episode in a while and next week the meeting between Rick and the Gov should be interesting...I hope.
They will meet and become friends and share woodbury together...end of show as they are all safe and happy. Morgan comes too.

How many episodes are left? Next episode feels like crazy delusional meeting time setting up the build up to the season finale
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Michonne and Darryl are the only characters i have any care for. i dont really think the governor has been protrayed to a level i was expecting, but who know if my expectation could have been reached by anybody. that being said, this past stroll through the ol' neighborhood was solid. it seems like a good bit of the cinematography was done specifically to look great for the black and white version of the episode. cant wait to watch that.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

the wicked child wrote:
shmenguin wrote:that was one of the best episodes in a long time.

Is it just Woodbury... or the lack of Andrea? Because I've wanted to see her go for about 2 seasons now.
andrea is brutal, but woodbury itself is a bigger issue. the previews for next week show everyone gearing up for some big shootout. that sort of culmination isn't at all what i signed up for. i could go rent fast five or the expendables if i need cheap action thrills. this last episode went deeper into your head - and not in an "over the top rick face" kind of way. it was struggle in real humanity combined with a zombie apocalypse backdrop. that dynamic is what made season 1 so good - not endless zombie kill shots and bad actors wearing eye patches.

maybe the comic book is closer to this "action" genre. but the TV show isn't any good when it goes there.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Darabont's touch is what you're getting at, shmenguin, and its not gonna reach that level ever again, unfortunately. this last episode, however, was a glimpse of it.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

canaan wrote:Darabont's touch is what you're getting at, shmenguin, and its not gonna reach that level ever again, unfortunately. this last episode, however, was a glimpse of it.
yeah, frank d can be a touchy feely ham to a fault, but he can take giant stories and then carve them down into a small scale - in a good way.

this mazzara guy just decided to turn the show into a video game. but unfortunately, people like it that way. i think it's so popular because of scenes like when they're first clearing out the prison and have to kill a zillion zombies, and not because of scenes like when, in episode 1, rick goes back to mercy kill the crawling zombie chick - which was THE best scene in walking dead history, IMO.

there have been balances between the 2 styles - for instance, shane going bonkers and executing all the zombies as they walk out of the barn was great - but how often can you really have a payoff like that?
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I appreciate both angles.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Glad to see something good from Gimple before he take over full time for season 4. This definitely had a comic book feel to it from what Kirkman wrote.

comic book comments:
Spoiler:
At this point in the comic is where Michone starts to open up, the broody loaner was her character until her and Rick bonded over talking to dead people. Of course lots of worse stuff happened to her in the comic than simply being hunted by Merle but it took her a while to get over it but last night is a good glimpse of the character she can become.
That was cold backing up to grab the hikers backpack but the guy was out alone for almost a year and though yelling was smart? It's his own fault he got eaten. but it's a shame they couldn't help him, who knows what his deal is?

The partially mummified zombie at the bar was interesting, or at least looked like it.

Rick trying to save Morgan made total sense. He owed him.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

yeah, there's no disconnect whatsoever between rick's treatment of morgan vs the hiker
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Best sequence (paraphrased):

Rick: Come back with us to the prison, it's safe!

Morgan: Is that where your wife died?
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

DelPen wrote:Rick trying to save Morgan made total sense. He owed him.
I suppose you're right, I just felt bad for the hiker. He was so excited to have found other people and just gets blown off. I'm sure his yelling wouldn't have drawn any more attention than the sound of their car on the road anyway. I understand that we're supposed to see how this new world has changed people (for the worse) and hardened Rick, but he also knows he's going to war with the Governor. The Gov has a town full of people who can fight for him. Rick has, what, 10? He has to know the odds of 10 beating an entire town are very, very slim. The hiker had survived for a year or whatever it's been since the outbreak so he couldn't have been too dumb. I know I'm reading more into it, but I just felt bad for the guy. ;)
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by JeffDFD »

Or he is a spy for the governor...or a nut job like the lead prisoner that tried to kill Rick. Or the other two with Tyrese who were going to try to take over. Can't trust just anyone.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

This very much felt like a comic book episode, not necessarily from the Walking Dead series...but one of those issues where a few characters go off on their own quest to expand their story/background/bonding.
Very well done.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

I knew the episode was going to be good when I saw the hitchhiker scene. Then Morgan showed his face and I flipped out.

I was just about done caring about the show until I watched this episode. I didn't care that it didn't advance the plot because the plot was getting lame to begin with.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

not advancing the plot was a good thing.