Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by shmenguin »

PensFanInDC wrote:People who sit at an intersection waiting to turn right when there is an acceleration lane installed for the sole purpose of turning right and speeding up to merge into traffic. What makes it worse is when they wait for no traffic to be coming and then use the acceleration lane anyway. Glad I don't carry a gun.
depends on the length of the acceleration lane. if it's small enough, you absolutely sit there until a break in traffic is approaching.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

shmenguin wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:People who sit at an intersection waiting to turn right when there is an acceleration lane installed for the sole purpose of turning right and speeding up to merge into traffic. What makes it worse is when they wait for no traffic to be coming and then use the acceleration lane anyway. Glad I don't carry a gun.
depends on the length of the acceleration lane. if it's small enough, you absolutely sit there until a break in traffic is approaching.
No, you turn into the acceleration lane, put your blinker on, and wait for a safe moment to merge.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

so instead of sitting at the beginning of the lane, you're sitting at the end of it - while everyone behind you gets to merge before you do because they have 1st crack at the traffic break.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

MRandall25 wrote:
PghSkins wrote:"I know, right?" as a response to a statement one agrees with is starting to climb up my peeve list.
I know, right?
That was the most predictible thing ever, in the whole universe.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

PghSkins wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
PghSkins wrote:"I know, right?" as a response to a statement one agrees with is starting to climb up my peeve list.
I know, right?
I know, right?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Willie Kool wrote:
PghSkins wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
I know, right?
I know, right?
That one too :wink:
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Hotel room showers. Never have enough water pressure and the handles are designed so poorly that it is always a chore to get the water temperature at a level that isn't either freezing cold or scalding hot.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Post by OutofFoil »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Hotel room showers. Never have enough water pressure and the handles are designed so poorly that it is always a chore to get the water temperature at a level that isn't either freezing cold or scalding hot.
European hotel room showers. Same issue, but shower head placed at waist level. Sure, you can take it out of the holder, but who wants to stand there holding it on one hand above your head? Oh, also, do they make washcloths for one's face in Europe, because if the do, I haven't seen them.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

shmenguin wrote:so instead of sitting at the beginning of the lane, you're sitting at the end of it - while everyone behind you gets to merge before you do because they have 1st crack at the traffic break.
If everyone used the acceleration lane like we are supposed to than no. Thus it is a pet peeve
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

the wicked child wrote:I first noticed this trend on Spike during 1,000 Ways to Die, but it's spreading to other channels now too (namely Discovery)... They will show a boatload of commercials followed by a 20-30 second clip of the show, then a boatload more of commercials. Obnoxious... this is why I wait to watch most shows until after I've recorded them.
Even worse than that are the shows that run non-stop commercials for a tv show, and as they cut back to another show, they run more ads for the same show at the bottom of the screen.

TNT and Discovery are both very guilty of this.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

scammers on craigslist for renting a place to live. "Hey, go to this site, type in all your personal information and then we'll talk about this 5br house for $300 a month." What's even worse though are the ones that make the prices seem reasonable enough to get you to e-mail them and then you get, "Hi there, I'm on a mission trip in Africa. Send so and so the money and they'll mail you the key. I'm a man of God so I am true to my word. Hope to hear from you soon!"
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I occasionally get a bad hotel room shower, but by and large, I enjoy them quite a bit, and the pressure tends to be higher than home
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

shafnutz05 wrote:I occasionally get a bad hotel room shower, but by and large, I enjoy them quite a bit, and the pressure tends to be higher than home
And in 99% of the world, the water is much softer than in western PA, which is wonderful.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

At 6'3, only about 5-10% of hotel showers have ever been adequate for me.

That includes 0% of European showers.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

try adding two inches, shmenguin...
Spoiler:
twss?
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

I'm uncomfortable.

Anyways...you're 6'5? Good lord.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

which brings me to another pet peeve, things not being made for tall people. short people can have things to help make them a more "normal" height, you can't make tall people shorter.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

count2infinity wrote:which brings me to another pet peeve, things not being made for tall people. short people can have things to help make them a more "normal" height, you can't make tall people shorter.
You can but you probably wouldn't like the results.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Mango Salsa »

Would of, could of, should of. Better then, greater then, less then...
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by legame »

shmenguin wrote:At 6'3, only about 5-10% of hotel showers have ever been adequate for me.

That includes 0% of European showers.
My dad had an extreme disdain for traveling that came out of being 6'8" and never being able to find a bed, shower, car, etc to use comfortably. You don't really notice how things are made until you watch someone driving a rental car like Shaq.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

If you have a phone on which you will be conducting business, at least during business hours answer it profesionally. "Hello" doesn't cut it. Answer with your name, or your name and company.

Called a new sales guy for a major electrical supplier who will be coming into my plants. They are supplanting a pretty popular supplier on a huge national contract. Guy picked up the phone and said "Hello?" To which I then had to say awkwardly... "Uh, hello, is this Bill Smith from Electrico?"

Yeah, we're not getting off on the right foot.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

count2infinity wrote:scammers on craigslist for renting a place to live. "Hey, go to this site, type in all your personal information and then we'll talk about this 5br house for $300 a month." What's even worse though are the ones that make the prices seem reasonable enough to get you to e-mail them and then you get, "Hi there, I'm on a mission trip in Africa. Send so and so the money and they'll mail you the key. I'm a man of God so I am true to my word. Hope to hear from you soon!"
They do this for job listings now too. I must have received 2 dozen emails all in the same format. "Im away on business a lot. Send me all of your personal info and I will send you your first job assignment."
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

"Scoring the basketball."

RAGE!!!!!!
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

PghSkins wrote:If you have a phone on which you will be conducting business, at least during business hours answer it profesionally. "Hello" doesn't cut it. Answer with your name, or your name and company.

Called a new sales guy for a major electrical supplier who will be coming into my plants. They are supplanting a pretty popular supplier on a huge national contract. Guy picked up the phone and said "Hello?" To which I then had to say awkwardly... "Uh, hello, is this Bill Smith from Electrico?"

Yeah, we're not getting off on the right foot.
Add people who blur through their company name while answering the phone. If I call and I can't understand the name of your company, then you're not doing a good job of representing the company.
pens9192
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pens9192 »

I have one that that bugs me about myself: I get into TV shows too late. For some reason, I never seem to watch shows from the beginning to the end. I always seem to jump in during the middle of the shows run.

Examples:

- The Walking Dead I did not watch every week until the midway point of this current season. I had to do power Netflix watching and the AMC marathon to get caught up

- The same with Breaking Bad. I watched all four seasons on Netflix a few weeks ago and now need to watch Season 5A before the rest of the series plays out this summer (What took me five years?!)

- I didn't start watching 'House' regularly until midway through the third season, same with Family Guy

Shows I have watched from the beginning and have kept up with are: Numb3rs, Fringe, The Office, and Big Bang Theory.