Flames offersheet O'Reilly

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
sniper
AHL'er
AHL'er

Flames offersheet O'Reilly

Post by sniper »

2 years $10M. Second year is $6.5M.

Compensation is 1st and 3rd rounder.

I'd let them have him.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Flames offersheet O'Reilly

Post by tfrizz »

sniper wrote:2 years $10M. Second year is $6.5M.

Compensation is 1st and 3rd rounder.

I'd let them have him.
With Colorado already near the bottoms of the standings, and Calgary likely to be a lottery team as well, there's no way I'd match the offer sheet. Even if neither win the draft lottery, it's still likely 2 top 10 picks - right now, they'd be picking 6th and 8th.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

I'd be delighted to take the picks. Idiotic move by the Flames.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Fire0nice228 »

Thats crazy money for that guy.. I mean..unless they are banking on him really blowing up and becoming a scorer..6.5$ for a guy full of 'intangibles' as his father puts it.. yikes.

Take the picks.

COL should have dealt him, they may have gotten even more..but maybe not quite as (likely) high of picks
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

I'd wait until the last possible moment and take the picks.

Calgary really puts themselves in a drivers seat for failure here. They need to get younger and the draft is the way to go.
sniper
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by sniper »

Yeah I don't get it. They get a good player, but not great. And at the end of the contract they have to qualify him at the $6.5M. On top of that you give up a pick that could easily be a better player? Why???
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Isn't *this* what the entire lockout was for?

$6.5 mil for a 55 point scorer. :face: doesn't even cut it.

Edit: Yes, I realize it's a $5 mil cap hit, but the next qualifying offer is set at $6.5 mil. No one should be paying him that.

This just sets an ugly precedent.
Last edited by MRandall25 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Lol outstanding
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Post by Tim Thomasen »

sniper wrote:Yeah I don't get it. They get a good player, but not great. And at the end of the contract they have to qualify him at the $6.5M. On top of that you give up a pick that could easily be a better player? Why???
Because the Flames refuse to rebuild. They go out and sign all the FA's over the years in hope of getting that 8th seed and making the playoffs and hopefully finding that player that can play with Iginla that could lead them to the cup. That team should of been blown up years ago but refuse to go down that path. Now as a result there going nowhere and as a result of years of tanking, their rival the Oilers are starting to look like a promising team.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

MRandall25 wrote:Isn't *this* what the entire lockout was for?
Nope.
Last edited by shmenguin on Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Post by Tim Thomasen »

$6.5 mil for a 55 point scorer. :face: doesn't even cut it.

Edit: Yes, I realize it's a $5 mil cap hit, but the next qualifying offer is set at $6.5 mil. No one should be paying him that.

This just sets an ugly precedent.
And i'm sure Jeremy Jacobs will raise a big stink about this at the next CBA negotiations.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Not sure how this relates to cause of the lockout - which was that WELL RUN teams couldn't turn an acceptable profit. This has nothing to do with that.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

I'm gonna take the other side of this actually...good for Calgary...it's about time they take a chance...ever since that Gilmour trade, they've recycled the same crap, the same un-recyclable garbage every year. I feel like Tanguay, Cammalleri, Langkow, etc. have been lost and re-bought, worse for wear and tear, a dozen times each at this point. They haven't had a center in forever, they haven't flushed their system in forever, they're stuck in hockey's version of limbo until Kiprusoff keels over...**** it...what do you have to lose? You're the worst run franchise in the National Hockey League and the only one that comes close is Columbus and that's an expansion team, who cares...

If I'm Calgary I see this thing through though...this is a horrible idea for a band-aid, it's a great idea to start a revolution. Flush the whole thing. All at once, shock the system. Just top of my head (no need to nitpick each move for value, I'm not thinking about it)

Tanguay -> Boston for KoKo
Cammalleri -> San Jose for Nieto
Iginla -> Pittsburgh for Maatta, Jeffrey and a 1st
Stempniak -> Whoever will take him for a 3rd and a long shot prospect
Hudler -> Florida for Trochek or Grimaldi
Bouwmeester -> Detroit for Sproul
Wideman -> amnesty buyout, **** him...
Stajan -> Washington for a 4th
Sarich -> Throw him that Iginla deal to Pittsburgh, why not...
Kiprusoff -> Chicago (assuming Crawford loses one of these games) for a 2nd and Fournier/Olsen/Johns

Purge the rest, start again.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

mikey287 wrote:Stempniak -> Whoever will take him for a 3rd and a long shot prospect
I'd take a chance on Stempniak for that deal.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Tim Thomasen »

mikey287 wrote:I'm gonna take the other side of this actually...good for Calgary...it's about time they take a chance...ever since that Gilmour trade, they've recycled the same crap, the same un-recyclable garbage every year. I feel like Tanguay, Cammalleri, Langkow, etc. have been lost and re-bought, worse for wear and tear, a dozen times each at this point. They haven't had a center in forever, they haven't flushed their system in forever, they're stuck in hockey's version of limbo until Kiprusoff keels over...**** it...what do you have to lose? You're the worst run franchise in the National Hockey League and the only one that comes close is Columbus and that's an expansion team, who cares...

If I'm Calgary I see this thing through though...this is a horrible idea for a band-aid, it's a great idea to start a revolution. Flush the whole thing. All at once, shock the system. Just top of my head (no need to nitpick each move for value, I'm not thinking about it)

Tanguay -> Boston for KoKo
Cammalleri -> San Jose for Nieto
Iginla -> Pittsburgh for Maatta, Jeffrey and a 1st
Stempniak -> Whoever will take him for a 3rd and a long shot prospect
Hudler -> Florida for Trochek or Grimaldi
Bouwmeester -> Detroit for Sproul
Wideman -> amnesty buyout, **** him...
Stajan -> Washington for a 4th
Sarich -> Throw him that Iginla deal to Pittsburgh, why not...
Kiprusoff -> Chicago (assuming Crawford loses one of these games) for a 2nd and Fournier/Olsen/Johns

Purge the rest, start again.
Interestring take on this. I will say you have something here because atleast there going to get a guy who does have potential, instead to recyclng old crap like what they been doing in the past. My problem is I don't know if there looking at this as a full rebuild but a band-aid. I do what you suggest, purge the system and start the rebuild because there not going anywhere if thy keep down the path there walking down.

Speaking of the Flames, what do you think about the guy the Flames got in the first round Mark Jankowski? People panned on this pick because of how far off he is in his development (others called this pick a project) but what do you think?
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

They could have flushed the system with all of the above and retained the lottery pick.
If you are going to suck, you need to do it all the way.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

columbia wrote:They could have flushed the system with all of the above and retained the lottery pick.
This.
sniper
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by sniper »

Gaucho wrote:
columbia wrote:They could have flushed the system with all of the above and retained the lottery pick.
This.
Yep. All flushing the system does now is guarantee Colorado a great pick. Their move is completely idiotic. They are going for the playoffs this year in exchange for what is likely to be a better player. I doubt they make the playoffs even after this move. It makes zero sense.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

yeah, this to me is a sign that thye're not going to flush the system, but rather try and squeeze the most riding their re-treads.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

Avs match the offer sheet
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

Kovy27 wrote:Avs match the offer sheet

That was fast
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Wow, does that mean they cant trade him for a while?

Knowing the avs, they matched because his 1st year salary is $3.6m, which they're happy to pay. but i'm sure they'll trade him before that 6.5m kicks in (unless theres a rule against trading guys signed on offer sheet).
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

pcm wrote:Wow, does that mean they cant trade him for a while?

Knowing the avs, they matched because his 1st year salary is $3.6m, which they're happy to pay. but i'm sure they'll trade him before that 6.5m kicks in (unless theres a rule against trading guys signed on offer sheet).
Can't trade him for 1 calendar year, I think.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

^^ Yes.