Other NHL games

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Other NHL games

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

the wicked child wrote:Mr. Hall may get to star in another video soon.
Yep, hearing today on that hit. :slug:
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I thought you meant he was going to be Matt Damon's double in the next Bourne film.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

shmenguin wrote:
Tim Thomasen wrote:Cal Clutterbuck got nailed by Taylor Hall. Not looking good as the team had to help him off the ice.
Quick tangent on Taylor Hall...I looked up his numbers and his even strength scoring is at about .5ppg over the last few years. That's the Tyler Kennedy zone. I never watch him play, so in relation to the typical #1 overall pick, what are this guys strengths, aside from what shows up on the box score?
Right now, the Oilers blow. So that's a big part of it. They have small offensive forwards that don't have much room out there and they're all young and in a slump, so the natural instinct is to do what they did in juniors...do it themselves. As a result, they score once a game.

I hate to draw any comparisons between Taylor Hall and Tyler Kennedy, but if it wasn't for the huge level of difference in skill, they aren't really polar opposites in terms of style actually...let me turn into Pierre McGuire to explain it to you:

Taylor Hall out of the Windsor Spitfires organization is compete level personified. He has the skating, skill and determination to fly down the left wing, create plays on the rush and go to the front of the net and swing with the big trees. He's a driving force behind this Edmonton team and this young man is going to make a lot of people in Edmonton very happy very soon if he hasn't already. Edzo, you were Sidney Crosby's first coach in the National Hockey League, even though stylistically they aren't a great match, doesn't Taylor Hall's compete level and determination and constant drive to get better remind you a little bit of Sidney Crosby?

Edzo: (15 seconds of dead air) I...I don't...uhhh...I don't know, Pierre...am I coaching again? I'm confused.

/end scene

Hall has more work ethic than hockey smarts, but he's not a clown in that regard. Think Zach Parise basically.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Damn, I totall read that in Pierre's voice and can't stop laughing.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

over the last few years since he "broke out" parise seems to me like a master of execution when he's in scoring positons. he simply gets it done whenever he has the chance. is this one of the disconnects between him and hall at the moment?
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

Gaucho wrote:Damn, I totall read that in Pierre's voice and can't stop laughing.
As much as PeeAir annoys me, the man does know his hockey. I wish he just wasn't so freaking annoying while sharing his knowledge.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

shmenguin wrote:over the last few years since he "broke out" parise seems to me like a master of execution when he's in scoring positons. he simply gets it done whenever he has the chance. is this one of the disconnects between him and hall at the moment?
Kind of. Zach is obviously one of the top players in the NHL, even though he's not being utilized like it this year. He's played on better teams (he had a HHOFer of a linemate in Ilya Kovalchuk for a bit, doesn't hurt). He's also been playing in the league for some time now, since 2005. Hall was 14 at the time.

You look at first two seasons of ES goal production: Zach 0.1656 EV goals/game; Hall: 0.2778 goals/game (*82) = 14 goals vs. 23. (further adjustment: combined goals per game averages in 05-06/06-07: 11.808; in 10-11/11-12: 10.784...a whole goal per game less is scored in the NHL during Hall's first two years vs. Zach's first two).

Let's say Hall got those 46 projected even strength goals in his first two years in the league (10-11, 11-12), here's where he would rank:
1. Steven Stamkos 76
2. Corey Perry 54
3. Bobby Ryan 54
4. Jarome Iginla 53
5. Alex Ovechkin 50
... (Malkin, Nash, St. Louis, Burrows)
10. Taylor Hall 46
t-10. Marian Gaborik 46
t-10. Phil Kessel 46
t-10. Ilya Kovalchuk 46

Now, of course, I didn't adjust anyone else for games missed (for instance, Crosby would be second with 70). But still, it's not that Hall isn't producing so much as he just plays on a young, streaky team with young, streaky linemates. He's doing a very good job in Edmonton.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

llipgh2 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Damn, I totall read that in Pierre's voice and can't stop laughing.
As much as PeeAir annoys me, the man does know his hockey. I wish he just wasn't so freaking annoying while sharing his knowledge.
:fist:
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

if pierre wasn't such a bandwagoner, i wouldn't mind him. he turns temporary momentum swings into absolute truths. he's pretty smart, so i can't imagine he REALLY gets so carried away. it's gotta just be TV schtick.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

I just remember at the draft when he called pretty much every draft pick. I was shocked.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

He just loves the game, that's normal Pierre. Sometimes I catch myself sounding a bit like him when I get into a good hockey conversation during a game...it happens when you get excited to talk about something...
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Pierre just gets too narrow focused some games and doesn't break from that focus. 2.5 hours of hearing emphasis on certain people or plays gets really really old. Otherwise, Pierre is generally one of my favorite analysts, but Wednesday night it was becoming unbearable.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Rylan wrote:Pierre just gets too narrow focused some games and doesn't break from that focus. 2.5 hours of hearing emphasis on certain people or plays gets really really old. Otherwise, Pierre is generally one of my favorite analysts, but Wednesday night it was becoming unbearable.
That's not unfair, and you probably represent the opinion of a lot of big time hockey fans, the only thing I'll say is that he's got to sell the product a little bit. Sidney Crosby and Claude Giroux sell...talking about the tactical defensive work of Brandon Sutter does not, talking about Matt Niskanen's decision-making does not, debating the differences between Sean Couturier, Jordan Staal and Pete Mahovlich does not, talking about Kurtis Foster being a big, slow, soft pitching machine does not...

There's a lot things that "does not"...Pierre is wasted in that sense and would fit better on TSN, where you can go into a little more detail about the game and some of the below-the-line players...but he wanted to help grow the game in America, so he's trying to do that...so is Doc when he does the games...actively serves up softball questions that he already knows the answer to so Pierre can hit'em out of the park...he serves up for Edzo too, but he goes down looking far too often to be useful...
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

That is a problem often times. I get that hockey is probably one of the most complicated sports to pick-up due to the speed and rules. But, sometimes it gets really frustrating hearing the same things over and over. I just wish there was more analysis aside from the basics. Hell, its even hard to find good reading online about hockey that isn't laced with severe bias.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Rylan wrote:That is a problem often times. I get that hockey is probably one of the most complicated sports to pick-up due to the speed and rules. But, sometimes it gets really frustrating hearing the same things over and over. I just wish there was more analysis aside from the basics. Hell, its even hard to find good reading online about hockey that isn't laced with severe bias.
Rylan, did you know that Michael Grabner is really fast?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

Pierre is a Wikipedia of where hockey players come from
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Rylan wrote:That is a problem often times. I get that hockey is probably one of the most complicated sports to pick-up due to the speed and rules. But, sometimes it gets really frustrating hearing the same things over and over. I just wish there was more analysis aside from the basics. Hell, its even hard to find good reading online about hockey that isn't laced with severe bias.
Best bet is Andy Brickley (NESN - Boston) and Ray Ferraro (TSN), honorable mention to Drew Remenda (CSN - Bay Area [Sharks]) and Darryl Reaugh (FSN - Dallas). They'll go a little above the basics and break plays down a little better. But it's a foreign concept to most people watching hockey...I mean, look at how many people thought the Devils trapped their way to the Finals last year... :roll: :lol: :roll: Only hardcore fans really care about the game itself and want to learn more...the percentages just aren't in their favor unfortunately...
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

CHICAGO IS THE GREATEST TEAM EVER
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Clowe just showed what it means to stand up for a teammate.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pens2005 »

When they win 17 straight games, then we shall talk about greatest streaks of all-time...
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pens2005 »

So do the Blackhawks play all 48 games at home or do they maybe hit the road for a few?
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

I hate the Hawks so much, Kane, Carcillo, Emery are just enough for me to hate em.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Chicago Blackhawks, man

pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pens2005 »

Just kidding they've actually played way more roadies so far. Just seems like every time I see them on TV they are at home.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

The only "offense" Nashville can generate these days is if their team doesn't shower for a couple of days.