The Walking Dead

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Walking Dead - Season 3

Post by PensFanInDC »

the wicked child wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:I must watch television in a totally different way than you guys cause I loved last weeks episode and thought the first 50 minutes of this one was terrible.
Ending the show with 10 minutes of holy **** awesomeness tends to have that effect... but last week was still ho-hum. :slug:
I don't know, maybe I'm able to watch last weeks episode with a "1st episode of the new story arc" viewpoint and can appreciate it more. I can see how it sets up a bunch of storyline. I felt that most of this weeks episode was the same and could have been tossed into a 1.5 hour season premier.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Idoit40fans wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Episode was good, if Merle doesn't rejoin the group, then boo this show.
Spoiler:
I think he does and re-joins the Governor in a twist at the end
Spoiler:
even more severe boo
Spoiler:
I just get that vibe, unless Daryl and Rick can convince him otherwise. A reformed Meryl would be sweet as all get out though.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Malkamaniac wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Episode was good, if Merle doesn't rejoin the group, then boo this show.
Spoiler:
I think he does and re-joins the Governor in a twist at the end
Spoiler:
even more severe boo
Spoiler:
I just get that vibe, unless Daryl and Rick can convince him otherwise. A reformed Meryl would be sweet as all get out though.
Spoiler:
I don't want him reformed, I want him to just be "good" enough for them to begrudgingly let him stay.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

PensFanInDC wrote:I must watch television in a totally different way than you guys cause I loved last weeks episode and thought the first 50 minutes of this one was terrible.
TWD screws up the believability factor in their portrayal of human interaction and critical decision making, and that really bugs me. and it's not that i hold them to a high standard in that regard - they're worse than your average show. last night was better, but i'm wondering why the governor's crew went into full bond villain mode and essentially left their enemy alone with a bunch of incompetent henchmen (zombies), and then drove away, assuming their plan would go perfectly.

also, this is a little thing...but these people shoot zombies in the exact center of their brains like it's no big deal all the time, but can't hit a stationary dude in a watch tower?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

shmenguin wrote:
TWD screws up the believability factor in their portrayal of human interaction and critical decision making, and that really bugs me. and it's not that i hold them to a high standard in that regard - they're worse than your average show. last night was better, but i'm wondering why the governor's crew went into full bond villain mode and essentially left their enemy alone with a bunch of incompetent henchmen (zombies), and then drove away, assuming their plan would go perfectly.

also, this is a little thing...but these people shoot zombies in the exact center of their brains like it's no big deal all the time, but can't hit a stationary dude in a watch tower?
I think their motive was to scare them more than anything. If they could whack them all at that time, great. If not they at least have scared the living crap out of them. Also remember the person who drove the zombie taxi is still at the prison. Looked like a chick too. It also destroyed the main gate basically rendering that whole section of the prison unusable.

I was also ticked off at the lack of accuracy during the shootout.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

If the goal was to scare them, what's the end game? Scare 'em real good, and then leave them alone? No. They are obviously going to attack again. Which makes scaring them pointless. It makes no sense that they didn't just go in and kill everyone in there while they had the element of surprise on their side.

they should have started with the van crashing the gates and letting the zombies out. then, while they were dealing with the zombies, get guys with rifles up in the towers picking off anyone who stuck their head out, and then sent a heavilly armed crew to mow down whatever was left. It would have been so easy. I don't understand the point of attacking, and leaving them beaten, but not finishing them off in this situation.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I don't understand how they got into the tower.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Froggy wrote:If the goal was to scare them, what's the end game? Scare 'em real good, and then leave them alone? No. They are obviously going to attack again. Which makes scaring them pointless. It makes no sense that they didn't just go in and kill everyone in there while they had the element of surprise on their side.

they should have started with the van crashing the gates and letting the zombies out. then, while they were dealing with the zombies, get guys with rifles up in the towers picking off anyone who stuck their head out, and then sent a heavilly armed crew to mow down whatever was left. It would have been so easy. I don't understand the point of attacking, and leaving them beaten, but not finishing them off in this situation.
Then the show would have to end. We don't want that.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

There was a line earlier where someone asked who was on watch duty. So I'm guessing no one was paying attention to people sneaking in
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Froggy wrote:If the goal was to scare them, what's the end game? Scare 'em real good, and then leave them alone? No. They are obviously going to attack again. Which makes scaring them pointless. It makes no sense that they didn't just go in and kill everyone in there while they had the element of surprise on their side.

Then the show would have to end. We don't want that.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by JeffDFD »

I can give them the benefit of the doubt aim wise...its harder to aim when you cant take your time and someone is shooting back...with a zombie you can take your time until they are right on you...but everyone having a headshot hack on does seem odd. I suppose we are supposed to realize they have been doing this a while and got the aiming down or something.

Besides being a fun scene to watch...yeah, they should have swooped in and just killed them all, but I suppose they are weak too and just lost men themselves? They had to find the jail first? They realize the jail is fortified and everyone is holed up inside and have to plan a better attack...why not pick off a few while you are there to make the next attack easier? Both sides know that the war is on so perhaps taking a shot and weakening them now forces them inside...I am reaching here though - I see your point. Or maybe we have to just chalk it up to...the governor is crazy and does what he wants without thinking much through now. Kind of like Glen is acting.

My biggest thought when it all went down was - you know you are surprising them...wait for Rick to show his face and pick him off instead of the random prisoner you never saw before.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Maybe it was more of a scout/scare mission. Scout out what kind of numbers and firepower they have, scare the hell out of them, and then come back to finish the job with a better understanding of what they are up against. Maybe even be able to take the prison without a fight if they decided to run away.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Maybe he is just a psycho/sociopath.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Head shots are easy with 9 months of practice they have all had by now on slow moving targets that don't change height and aren't shooting back at you.

The governor doesn't want the prison, he wants Woodbury to be the only safe haven. They lost a lot of ground to zombies now and even getting out of the prison will be hard. And as for the comics:

MAJOR SPOILERS FOR THE COMIC
Spoiler:
Axel dies from a head shot during the second attack. The first one the governor and crew comes to the prison with Tyrese as a hostage and threatens to kill him, with Michone's sword, and ends up decapitating him in front of everyone. Then he comes back with a tank and breaks the gates down and it's a mess.
Don't expect details to make it over, we are way past that point.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

PensFanInDC wrote:
I was also ticked off at the lack of accuracy during the shootout.
Yeah, I thought the exact same thing. They kill all the moving walking dead with quick head shots and never miss, but couldn't hit a steady target with a scoped rifle. Very confusing. :? Although, I still liked the episode very much.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Stoosh »

JeffDFD wrote:
npv708 wrote:I had to laugh. The wife is watching Once Upon a Time and the one actor looks super familiar, so I went to the Google machine and found out it was "Dave" from the Nebraska episode, where a skinny guy and a fat guy get shot by Rick in the bar scene when they go looking for Herschel
The actor who plays Merle voices a character in Black Ops 2. Messed with me the whole time. Both characters are vulgar bad @. The new thing with the Black Ops 2 is different choices you make impact the rest of the game and the ending. Him having the voice from walking dead impacted my decision making.
He (Michael Rooker) was also McMasters in Tombstone. Couldn't place it right away, but realized it after I caught a re-run of Tombstone about a week or so ago.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Same here with the gun battle at the end. Rick has a clean shot at Martinez, and lines the scope to the right, blowing the shot. It's like they want the characters around longer... :lol:

Good episode though...
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

Stoosh wrote:
JeffDFD wrote:
npv708 wrote:I had to laugh. The wife is watching Once Upon a Time and the one actor looks super familiar, so I went to the Google machine and found out it was "Dave" from the Nebraska episode, where a skinny guy and a fat guy get shot by Rick in the bar scene when they go looking for Herschel
The actor who plays Merle voices a character in Black Ops 2. Messed with me the whole time. Both characters are vulgar bad @. The new thing with the Black Ops 2 is different choices you make impact the rest of the game and the ending. Him having the voice from walking dead impacted my decision making.
He (Michael Rooker) was also McMasters in Tombstone. Couldn't place it right away, but realized it after I caught a re-run of Tombstone about a week or so ago.
I used to only see Mr. Svenning.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

nocera wrote:
Stoosh wrote:
JeffDFD wrote:
I used to only see Mr. Svenning.
Henry
ILikeTurtles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ILikeTurtles »

Idoit40fans wrote:I don't understand how they got into the tower.
This. That tower is INSIDE the gates...
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

finally caught up enough to post in this thread...
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Firebird »

ILikeTurtles wrote:
Wire clippers?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Firebird wrote:
ILikeTurtles wrote:
Wire clippers?
Opposable thumbs...
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Until this thread, I had no clue it was based on a comic. So for my enjoyment purposes, probably better off I don't go reading said comic. So thanks for the spoilers on that. I was careful not to read this thread at all until we had watched the last of the first half of the 3rd season.

These last two epsiodes, Suicide King and the one after, seem to me like they might have been better off as two 90 minute ones - lumping the last half of this one into next week's episode. But I understand their method - having to create a reason at the end of this last one to watch the next one. And that it did.

At times, I am not sure if it is the writing that leaves me wanting or the acting. Whole sections of the show seem like it lacks flow, kind of choppy. But they find themselves just enough to crescendo to the end.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

JeffDFD wrote:
Michael Rooker (Merle) also plays Brandi's father in Mallrats. My mind was blown when I found that out!