Tangradi traded to Winnipeg for 7th round pick

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Tangradi traded to Winnipeg for 7th round pick

Post by pcm »

Tangradi's confidence was shot. This is not a team where there's time or room to build your confidence back up... unless you're a waiver wire pickup.

Good luck to Eric. He'll have a chance with Winnipeg to find his game. He's still young, so there's still time to himself a permenant job in the NHL. It just wasn't going to happen with the Pens.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

You're assuming that he has a game to be found.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

columbia wrote:You're assuming that he has a game to be found.
Yeah he was labeled as having a game similar to a young Todd Bertuzzi. Then we actually got to see him. No hands, no physicality, no speed, no hockey smarts, no edge, nothing.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Pavel Bure wrote:
Yeah he was labeled as having a game similar to a young Todd Bertuzzi. Then we actually got to see him. No hands, no physicality, no speed, no hockey smarts, no edge, nothing.
1. He played 5 games with the Penguins this season. He contributed to more goals than Boychuk so far, fwiw.
2. The vast majority of his NHL games have come on the 4th line.
3. In the AHL, he's scored @ .35 goals per game.
4. He averaged as many hits per game on the 4th line last year as Adams and Cooke.
5. For WBS in the playoffs last year, he upped his game and improved his regular season scoring pace.

In the spirit of Draftnik, those are facts. No hands? No physicality? No hockey smarts? The facts tell a different story. My assessment is that he has no confidence. The fault for that surely lies at his feet as much as it does at the teams', but regardless, it was obvious he wasn't going to get a chance here. So good luck to him in Winnipeg.

This argument will be revisited in about 1 year when we check in on the season Tangradi is having with them, when he's finally turned 24, which is statistically when his type of player "finds their game." Crow will be served. But to whom?
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

pcm wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:
1. He played 5 games with the Penguins this season. He contributed to more goals than Boychuk so far, fwiw.
4. He averaged as many hits per game on the 4th line last year as Adams and Cooke.
5. For WBS in the playoffs last year, he upped his game and improved his regular season scoring pace.

In the spirit of Draftnik, those are facts. No hands? No physicality? No hockey smarts? The facts tell a different story. My assessment is that he has no confidence. The fault for that surely lies at his feet as much as it does at the teams', but regardless, it was obvious he wasn't going to get a chance here. So good luck to him in Winnipeg.

This argument will be revisited in about 1 year when we check in on the season Tangradi is having with them, when he's finally turned 24, which is statistically when his type of player "finds their game." Crow will be served. But to whom?
I never mentioned Boychuk. By your "facts" then Chris Minard should have been a sure NHLer I mean that guy led the AHL in goals. Yet when put in the NHL he fail miserably. Some guys just don't have what it takes to play in the NHL. Those that do show something when given a chance. Yet Tangradi in 45 NHL games showed enough to get moved for a 7th round pick.

Tangradi

1. 45 NHL games
2. 5 points
3. -6
4. 45 SOG
5. Moved for a 7th round pick the equivalent of nothing.
In the spirit of Draftnik, those are facts.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

What does Minard have anything to do with the conversation? You said Tangradi doesn't have hands. I gave you evidence he can score. But you say he hasn't scored in his 40 games on the 4th line and 5 games on the 2nd line... So he he'll obviously never develop that aspect of his game. But hell, he's even managed a shot per game as you point out, which is better than Adams or Asham did last year on the 4th line. You said Tangradi lacks physicality. False. In 45 games he's got 73 hits. He gets traded for a 7th round pick. Great for him. It obviously wasn't working here. Now the Penguins can use his roster spot.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Keep the faith, bro.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

pcm wrote:What does Minard have anything to do with the conversation? You said Tangradi doesn't have hands. I gave you evidence he can score. But you say he hasn't scored in his 40 games on the 4th line and 5 games on the 2nd line... So he he'll obviously never develop that aspect of his game. But hell, he's even managed a shot per game as you point out, which is better than Adams or Asham did last year on the 4th line. You said Tangradi lacks physicality. False. In 45 games he's got 73 hits. He gets traded for a 7th round pick. Great for him. It obviously wasn't working here. Now the Penguins can use his roster spot.
You used AHL stats to justify your argument. I showed you an AHL player that produced great AHL stats and couldn't hack it. Heck if Tangradi had such little chance and little mins and still had a goal differential of -6 I'd hate to see what he would do with a "real chance." That whole "real chance" argument needs to stop. He had real chances, yes multiple, and didn't show enough to stick on any line from scoring to checking. He's just not very good.
Dan H
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Dan H »

pcm wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:

Yeah, you're right that he never earned the type of ice time he probably needs to develop what potential he has. Not only is his confidence shot, but he never seemed to quite recover from being assaulted by ----face from the Islanders. His play with the Pens has swung between inconsistent and just plain subpar. As far as eating crow goes, though, I probably wouldn't bet on even odds it will be served to either side of the too-polarized Tangradi debate. I'm far from a pro evaluator of hockey talent, but nevertheless I'd put odds at maybe 15% that he vastly exceeds his current expectations, and 30% he quickly washes out of the NHL. The remaining 55% is if he sticks around the NHL, but as a fringe player or 3rd-4th liner. Tangradi strikes me as a case of someone who doesn't have as much talent as the Penguins originally thought, but who also clearly wasn't in the situation to play to what talent level he has. The Pens just couldn't stick him with Malkin and Neal and leave him there all year no matter what. It wouldn't have been fair to the other guys in their organization, and, well, there's a Stanley Cup to go win. Maybe he'll get the minutes he needs in Winnipeg. Right now, he's an inconsistent fringe player with a decent chance of becoming a serviceable 4th liner and an outside shot of becoming a 2nd-line winger. He's shown flashes of good play, just not to the top-line winger level that was sold to us when the Pens traded for him. I don't think he'll ever become that top-line power forward. If that were likely, the Pens would have been able to get a lot more than a 7th round pick for him. But I think there's a good chance he'll eventually be as valuable as, say, Craig Adams (albeit with a very different skill set).
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Nizzy »

Tangradi didn't work here.

Bylsma's System 101. If Bylsma wins the cup, good move, stay with him long term. If Bylsma fails in the first round again, he needs to be fired. Then we lost a legit forward prospect going forward with a new staff that could have made him work.

I just don't understand Shero/Bylsma logic. Shero - Wants big body NA ala Ducks 2006 cup team. Brings in Gill, Cooke, Kunitz trade. Tough, Physical team. Next year Goligoski's and Leopold's. I just don't know where this team is going. Boychuks over Tangradis okay I'm fine with this. However this team hasn't been as good. Despres/Bortuzzo buffing up the defense is the only thing I've seen resemble what they want to do. But 4 years later?

I hope Tangradi scores 20 next year.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Post by Godric »

Oh, ET how you've fallen.

I remember watching him light up jrs..... 2nd in scoring behind only record breaker and phenom John Tavares

Whatever
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

Didn't he have a pretty serious wrist injury at the height of his output in juniors and never got back to that level? All the best to him. Hard to see a player with some potential gone for nothing, but that's life. The next Tangradi (read: prospect who doesn't live up to expectations) will here soon enough.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

DesertPenguin wrote: The key here is Ray has reduced the roster down to 22. He has an open position. Either Bennett is coming up soon, or he is preparing to bring in a player.
I'd really like to see Kulmenin. Err, Mulekin. I mean Kulemin.
saints11
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by saints11 »

One negative to the Tangradi trade is that it may have helped Jersey by permitting The Jets to then move Poni back to the Devils. Not that Poni is that good, but he does know NJ's system and can slide into the line-up replacing Zubrus.
:thumbdown:
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Post by darkstar57 »

I do agree tangradi had no confidence as a top 6 winger. He looked fine last year in the bottom 6 even played well in that role. If he is going to be a top 6 player it needs to be in place that isn't a Stanley cup contender and where he is playing with one of the top center in the world.
tugnutt

Post by tugnutt »

I think they will regret this trade in a few years. Should have had more patience with Tangradi, power forwards take time to develop. If you look at Kevin Stevens stats, he didnt start producing till his 3rd of 4th season. Same thing with Glenn Murray....patience.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

I don't think the Pens are really in the position to help this guy develop at the NHL level, if he ever does. He was just dead weight on the roster. Not sure Boychuk is the answer either, but I don't think the Pens should be in the business of wasting Malkin's prime years "developing" a guy like Tangradi.
joe icepick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by joe icepick »

Welcome tugnutt
joe icepick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by joe icepick »

We have no patience here.
joe icepick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by joe icepick »

We have no patience here.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by topshelf »

Call me crazy, but I like Boychuk's speed, his ability to go into corners, and his hustle. Those are three areas where Tangradi lacked.

I think the points will come for him.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

joe icepick wrote:We have no patience here.
Get to the point already!!!!! I don't have time to be reading double posts.
joe icepick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by joe icepick »

Something should happen before friday,they are a player short. Bennett is hurt as usual. Maybe they should bring up Kolarik,Megna.
joe icepick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by joe icepick »

You get a gold star for spotting that.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

joe icepick wrote:We have no patience here.
Nor should there be.