#8 - still elite

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: #8 - still elite

Post by MarioLives »

More goals than Malkin. Goals in 4 straight?
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by André »

Got predictable/haven't evolved
Not the same explosiveness and energy level as before
Was made captain
Coaching change
Was "tamed" when the Caps were to play more defensively
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

3g 4a in his past 5 games
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by scals37 »

André wrote:Got predictable/haven't evolved
Not the same explosiveness and energy level as before
Was made captain
Coaching change
Was "tamed" when the Caps were to play more defensively
This

Also, the guy was at the top of his game in his first few years with an abysmal capitals roster, so I don't buy the lack of teammates argument
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

I'd agree with whoever it was that said after Sid, Geno, and Stamkos, how could you pick somebody else over ovechkin?

You could make arguments for Toews and Giroux (I'd definitely pick toews, not sure about Giroux), but that's about it.

Get this guy somebody with guts.
iWonTheCup87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by iWonTheCup87 »

ive watched just about every caps game and no hes not even close to elite. His stats are very misleading he might have a few goals but he will score once in the game on a PP and the rest of the game he is completely nonexistant
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

iWonTheCup87 wrote:ive watched just about every caps game and no hes not even close to elite. His stats are very misleading he might have a few goals but he will score once in the game on a PP and the rest of the game he is completely nonexistant
Contributing 1 goal a game is huge, PP or not. As much as we hate home he's still elite.

Side note: hey Barry Melrose way to hold Stamkos back because he was a kid. Idiot.
iWonTheCup87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by iWonTheCup87 »

Pavel Bure wrote:
iWonTheCup87 wrote:ive watched just about every caps game and no hes not even close to elite. His stats are very misleading he might have a few goals but he will score once in the game on a PP and the rest of the game he is completely nonexistant
Contributing 1 goal a game is huge, PP or not. As much as we hate home he's still elite.

Side note: hey Barry Melrose way to hold Stamkos back because he was a kid. Idiot.
like i said thats the high point of his game. Crosby or Malkin will do other things in games other than score that makes them elite. Ovechkin is nonexistant for large period of the game every night. That is not elite in my book at all. He does nothing else of value unless he scores goals which he barely does anymore.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

Mr. Colby wrote:I'd agree with whoever it was that said after Sid, Geno, and Stamkos, how could you pick somebody else over ovechkin?

You could make arguments for Toews and Giroux (I'd definitely pick toews, not sure about Giroux), but that's about it.

Get this guy somebody with guts.
Depends on if you're judging AO solely on his goal scoring or his game completely. He is terrible and lazy as a two-way forward and completely one-dimensional once again. If he isn't near the top in the NHL for goals, his effect on the team starts to really drop. Goal scoring and talent? Probably still elite, IMO. As far as forwards I'd rather have on my team than AO, that list is growing.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

What about Giroux? Is he still elite?
IMFC
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IMFC »

meow wrote:He has elite talent, that's for sure. But is he an elite player? Ehhhh
That's the perfect description of someone that scores points and loses games. Well done.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

IMFC wrote:
meow wrote:He has elite talent, that's for sure. But is he an elite player? Ehhhh
That's the perfect description of Alex Kovalev
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Fire0nice228 »

Stamkos
Malkin
Crosby
Giroux
Hossa
Neal
Benn
Kopitar

All Forwards I would "pick" over Ovechkin in terms of total game, play at both ends of the ice, etc. Not even going to defensemen or goalies of which there are several I'd take before Ovechkin if I was, for example, starting to build a team around tomorrow.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

Fire0nice228 wrote:Stamkos
Malkin
Crosby
Giroux
Hossa
Neal
Benn
Kopitar

All Forwards I would "pick" over Ovechkin in terms of total game, play at both ends of the ice, etc. Not even going to defensemen or goalies of which there are several I'd take before Ovechkin if I was, for example, starting to build a team around tomorrow.
Not sure about Benn. They guy's never even played in a playoff game... I think thats got to be at least part of the criteria for 'Elite' status.

If the Flyers, Caps, and Kings miss the playoffs, which could happen, I'd say the only guys that remain from your list are Sid, Geno and Hossa. I think James Neal is not in the top tier of players yet.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Giroux? His dropoff without Jagr is more severe than Ovechkin's dropoff without other teams forgetting to defend him.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Fire0nice228 »

Idoit40fans wrote:Giroux? His dropoff without Jagr is more severe than Ovechkin's dropoff without other teams forgetting to defend him.

I prefer to wait and see how the Flyers look when they get Hartnell back. You could be right. I'd be happy if you are. I hate the Flyers and Giroux (best player in the world my ass Lavvy)

Forgot to add Tavares to my list. My original thesis still stands though, OV is a top 10'er today, maybe. At a forward position. Neal is the Real Deal as long as he is paired up with Geno, maybe even without him once he completely establishes himself and gets his confidence level to the max. 40 goals and pretty good in his own zone. On pace to do it in back to back seasons.

I'm not saying OV is just another Matt Moulson (although MM only had 2 less goals but more points on a worse team)
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Was Ovechkin playing in the Rangers game last night? I watched 40 minutes of it and didn't notice him.

EDIT: Apparently he had 7 shots. :pop: That probably bodes well for him being on the way to being relevant again.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

I thought he looked good on the PP but didn't do much 5 on 5... I know that's a theme for him a lot of the time. Kind of everyone else's point in this thread I know
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

Sup?