Tangradi traded to Winnipeg for 7th round pick

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Tangradi traded to Winnipeg for 7th round pick

Post by The Snapshot »

mikey287 wrote: It's a natural flushing of the system, I'm ok with it.
Exactly. A team that is going to compete cannot keep waiting on guys beyond a few years pro without any progress at all. None of those guys matter in the grand scheme of things, so it's better to have more draft age players with our team's mark on them - on the hope that one of these guys turns into a diamond in the rough. It was clear that none of these guys moved past the initial positive impression they made on our organization.

NHL guys who are not top picks don't make some meteoric moves in their first few years. Late round picks, or failed early ones, rarely putter along and then amazingly transform in an off-season. It's a slow, consistent development of their skills - with the possible addition of an asset like a growth spurt or great strength or speed training.

None of these guys showed anything new over multiple camps and games in WBS or here. They need to be culled from the herd so that we can make the same evaluation on Megna or Sammuelson or Morrow or whoever. It's up or out.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Why did anyone consider Tangradi the key piece to that trade?
Just because Shero talked him up?
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

Good luck Eric, i always felt you never got a fair chance in the Burgh. More so the pens style doesn't fit what you can bring to a team. Hope you find success in Winnipeg.

As a Penguins hockey fan... Good riddance.
murphydump55
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by murphydump55 »

columbia wrote:Why did anyone consider Tangradi the key piece to that trade?
Shero probably saw a lot of him and heard a lot about him because he's American, and we know Shero loves his American players.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Catastrophe! :lol:
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

HF called him a top-50 prospect at one point (not just on Pittsburgh either) as I recall...when we got him, the hype train was out of the station...just goofballed it...everyone...these things happen when you're dealing with 7-foot tall 19 year olds playing against 17 year olds...
murphydump55
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by murphydump55 »

no name wrote:Good luck Eric, i always felt you never got a fair chance in the Burgh. More so the pens style doesn't fit what you can bring to a team. Hope you find success in Winnipeg.

Is there a team out there that can fit a poor skater in that has slow foot speed with good straight away speed? Can they also fit in poor hands and the inability to utilize his size?
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by The Snapshot »

columbia wrote:@The Snapshot

You'd better order one the babies, while you have the chance....
http://www.thepensblog.com/tpb/dec2011/ ... order.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ha!! In reality he was even softer than the cartoon image of him for that shirt.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

Best of luck ET.

The fact that GMRS got picks for Lovejoy and Tangradi confirms whatyou I believed - that neither would clear waivers.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

To me it confirms that an NHL contract opening was more important than either player.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by JeffDFD »

The way I see it - Tangradi was a project that was not working out in PGH. We got Boychuk on waivers to be a new project and he has a better chance right now than Tangradi because Tangradi has consistently not worked out with the Pens.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by The Snapshot »

mikey287 wrote:
HF called him a top-50 prospect at one point (not just on Pittsburgh either) as I recall...when we got him, the hype train was out of the station...just goofballed it...everyone...these things happen when you're dealing with 7-foot tall 19 year olds playing against 17 year olds...
That's it. He needed to emerge last year in reality, and when he didn't I just couldn't get with the "pencil him in to the top 6" camp. It is clear that the org was iffy on him too since they obviously threw him into the deep end. He drowned.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

Idoit40fans wrote:To me it confirms that an NHL contract opening was more important than either player.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Idoit40fans wrote:To me it confirms that an NHL contract opening was more important than either player.
This.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

When Shero was interviewed he made it seem like the trade was for Tangradi and Kunitz was the throw in.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by The Snapshot »

In support of those stating concern over whether our team improved over the off-season - our top six winger solution was traded for a 7th round pick, because we picked up a new top six winger solution on waivers......
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

murphydump55 wrote:People, the name is BOYCHUK, not BOYCHUCK.

It's like STALL all over again.
I get this feeling that you are consistently the most angry poster on this board.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

no name wrote:

When Shero was interviewed he made it seem like the trade was for Tangradi and Kunitz was the throw in.
Well, I specifically mean once anyone saw him pull a few shifts against NHL players.
His lack of a future in PGH (and probably in the league) seemed pretty evident and I'm certainly no scout. :)
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

murphydump55 wrote:
no name wrote:Good luck Eric, i always felt you never got a fair chance in the Burgh. More so the pens style doesn't fit what you can bring to a team. Hope you find success in Winnipeg.

Is there a team out there that can fit a poor skater in that has slow foot speed with good straight away speed? Can they also fit in poor hands and the inability to utilize his size?

Mark my words, Tangradi will double his out put with the Jets, he will score 2 goals for them.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Well, so much for that Tangradi for Bobby Ryan deal. A 7th round pick isn't going to be a great winger for Sid. 7th round pick can't even tie its own skate laces.

Thanks, Shero. You just ruined my day.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

murphydump55 wrote:

ponikarovsky found work
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Hawkeynut »

Meh, bye bye Tangradi... fringe NHLer at best. At least Shero chose where this waiver player was going. Don't need any teams from the division claiming him.

Not saying he will amount to anything, you just don't want to face the kid 3-4 times this year.

At least Shero is wheeling and dealing albeit on a small scale.
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by marek »

Good luck Eric.
Hopefully you find your way within a system that suits your ability a bit better.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

canaan wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:

ponikarovsky found work
Yup, he's got 2G 0A in 12 games for the Jets. Claude Noel doesn't seem shy about giving younger players a shot, so I wouldn't be shocked to see ET get a look in Ponikarovsky's spot on their 3rd line with Burmistrov and Wellwood (?).
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

Hawkeynut wrote:Meh, bye bye Tangradi... fringe NHLer at best. At least Shero chose where this waiver player was going. Don't need any teams from the division claiming him.

Not saying he will amount to anything, you just don't want to face the kid 3-4 times this year.

At least Shero is wheeling and dealing albeit on a small scale.
Not only that - getting anything in return, even if it's a 7th round pick, is better than giving him away for free.