Tangradi traded to Winnipeg for 7th round pick

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Tangradi traded to Winnipeg for 7th round pick

Post by Gaucho »

Good luck, ET.
murphydump55
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by murphydump55 »

mikey287 wrote:Welp...so long...

Boy, a 7th round pick - not that I expected too much - but what an indictment of his worth around the league, huh? I hope he works out, but he wasn't looking so hot here...I tried to defend him a bit early on, but he didn't show much progress even in a short time...
So where are all the Tangradi defenders? The guy fetched us a 7th round pick....a 7TH!! And Shero agreed to it, probably because he knew that's all he could get.

I have nothing against the guy, I just wasn't a fan of his game. I'm just glad he's gone so we don't have to hear about him anymore.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Luckybreak »

Boy, a 7th round pick - not that I expected too much - but what an indictment of his worth around the league, huh? I hope he works out, but he wasn't looking so hot here...I tried to defend him a bit early on, but he didn't show much progress even in a short time...
That's what really enforced the arguments on both sides, he never showed much but never got much time, a vicious circle.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Tangradi traded for a 7th Rounder

Post by Idoit40fans »

I guess its settled. Boychuk.
murphydump55
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by murphydump55 »

Tangradi probably would have been lost on waivers, so it's nice that Shero got something for him.

Isn't it also funny that Whitney has been a healthy scratch in Edmonton? As has Goligoski in Dallas recently. Shero turned his throw-in into a 7th round pick and the other throw-in into a top 4 defender. All the while Neal and Kunitz are everyday players.

Those trades look pretty good to me....I don't even have to explain how great the Hossa trade was either. Now do it again and get Sid a damn winger!
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

TYPICAL LGP RAY SHERO IGNORANCE
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by MarioLives »

Wow it is like this guy spit on you and took your girlfriends. Never seen so much happiness over a player being basically let go. I never had an opinion either way on him but I do know he was never given a fair chance on the top 6 for an extended period. Like Boychuk is getting. Hard giving up on an early twenties big body..... I do know that. Especially with the excitement we all had when he was originally brought here.
Last edited by MarioLives on Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BurghThing
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by BurghThing »

I wish him luck
murphydump55
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by murphydump55 »

People, the name is BOYCHUK, not BOYCHUCK.

It's like STALL all over again.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by TheHammer24 »

murphydump55 wrote:Tangradi probably would have been lost on waivers, so it's nice that Shero got something for him.

Isn't it also funny that Whitney has been a healthy scratch in Edmonton? As has Goligoski in Dallas recently. Shero turned his throw-in into a 7th round pick and the other throw-in into a top 4 defender. All the while Neal and Kunitz are everyday players.

Those trades look pretty good to me....I don't even have to explain how great the Hossa trade was either. Now do it again and get Sid a damn winger!
Tangradi was the key piece in the Whitney trade; Kunitz was the throw in. Read the threads from back then, if you don't believe me. It's remarkable how much Kunitz worked out. And a 7th round pick is probably worth a lot less than a throw in NHL player. As such, I think there's a strong argument Shero could have gotten more for Whitney, a coveted two-way defenseman with a favorable contract at the time.

But you're point is still interesting insofar as Kunitz, Nisky, and you forgot Dupuis are key players.
Last edited by TheHammer24 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by TheHammer24 »

MarioLives wrote:Wow it is like this guy spit on you and took your girlfriends. Never seen so much happiness over a player being basically let go. I never had an opinion either way on him but I do know he was never given a fair chance on the top 6 for an extended period. Like Boychuck is getting. Hard giving up on an early twenties big body..... I do know that. Especially with the excitement we all had when he was originally brought here.
It's like people are happy that one of our key prospects for many years didn't pan out. That makes no sense to me. I suppose you can chalk it up to message-board vindication. :face:
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

murphydump55 wrote:People, the name is BOYCHUK, not BOYCHUCK.

The difference is that Staal was actually good, not some scrub like boychuck.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by MarioLives »

Thanks for pointing out a spelling mistake...... Gold star for you.
BurghThing
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by BurghThing »

Not worth learning to spell his name right.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by TheHammer24 »

AlexPKeaton wrote:

BurghThing wrote:Not worth learning to spell his name right.
I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL BOYCHUK SUCKS AND I CAN CELEBRATE THAT HE SUCKED AND I KNEW IT ALL ALONG WHEN WE WAIVE HIM AND HE GOES BACK TO CAROLINA!
Last edited by TheHammer24 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by The Snapshot »

That is amazing that Shero got anything for him. He has no value here, and it was clear that we needed to move him to the minors via waivers. That anyone gave us a pick at all, after Boychuk was waived by Carolina, is amazing.

I suppose his size relative to Boychuk's places some inherint value on Tangradi, but then again Boychuk'c speed, shot and hands at least give him a prayer. If Carolina waived him without offering him around, then they need a new GM.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

This seems like as good a time as any to remind some of our "prospect boosters" that the fringe guys just aren't worth all that much...and it's not an indictment of Shero, it's just, well, that's how it works at the NHL level...a trade is comprised of two parties, at least one of which has to have a need...

Look at our fringe prospects:
Brian Strait, Carl Sneep, Ben Lovejoy and Eric Tangradi were exchanged for a 5th, a 7th and a conditional 7th that will not be met.

And honestly, I'm not unhappy with a single one of those instances and never will be. Even if Tangradi turns into Ryan Malone or Brian Strait turns into Rob Scuderi. These aren't bad moves really...it's an indictment of their performance here and a thumbs up to what we have a long the way.

None of our amateur scouts are busting into Ray's office right now going, "the cupboard's bare, Ray! It's bare! What the **** did you do that for?!?!" It's a realization that this stuff is crap and the stuff that's on the way is better...or so we think...

It's a natural flushing of the system, I'm ok with it.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

TheHammer24 wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:

BurghThing wrote:Not worth learning to spell his name right.
I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL BOYCHUK SUCKS AND I CAN CELEBRATE THAT HE SUCKED AND I KNEW IT ALL ALONG WHEN WE WAIVE HIM AND HE GOES BACK TO CAROLINA!
I won't celebrate when boychuck gets booted for someone better, not like Tangradi. The difference is boychuck is from BFE canada not philly. Eff philly and people from philly.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by The Snapshot »

TheHammer24 wrote:
MarioLives wrote:Wow it is like this guy spit on you and took your girlfriends. Never seen so much happiness over a player being basically let go. I never had an opinion either way on him but I do know he was never given a fair chance on the top 6 for an extended period. Like Boychuck is getting. Hard giving up on an early twenties big body..... I do know that. Especially with the excitement we all had when he was originally brought here.
It's like people are happy that one of our key prospects for many years didn't pan out. That makes no sense to me. I suppose you can chalk it up to message-board vindication. :face:
Not so, but I AM happy I don't have to read posts supposing that he was going to be a top six guy. He just isn't, so it is best to cut him loose and wish him well. I don't hate him at all, but I hated the "hope" surrounding him still, even with the plain fact in front of everyone's eyes that no part of him is NHL ready at 24, and that his best case scenario will never involve the top 6 unless it is in a lower league.

I truly wish he were Kevin Stevens or Rick Tocchet, but he is not and never will be. He's Troy Loney, but only if he really makes some progress is just being big and a little snarly.
murphydump55
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by murphydump55 »

TheHammer24 wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:Tangradi probably would have been lost on waivers, so it's nice that Shero got something for him.

Tangradi was the key piece in the Whitney trade; Kunitz was the throw in. Read the threads from back then, if you don't believe me. It's remarkable how much Kunitz worked out. And a 7th round pick is probably worth a lot less than a throw in NHL player. As such, I think there's a strong argument Shero could have gotten more for Whitney, a coveted two-way defenseman with a favorable contract at the time.

But you're point is still interesting insofar as Kunitz, Nisky, and you forgot Dupuis are key players.
Yeah, actually I agree that Tangradi was the piece and everyone had high hopes for him, but over time, I began to just accept that Kunitz was the piece we traded for and Tangradi was the throw in.

Either way, I'll take it.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I went out for some coffee and this is what happens.

Good luck....
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

So now with all that cap money off the books we could get like 230 wingers now
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

The Snapshot wrote:

That is amazing that Shero got anything for him. He has no value here, and it was clear that we needed to move him to the minors via waivers. That anyone gave us a pick at all, after Boychuk was waived by Carolina, is amazing.

I suppose his size relative to Boychuk's places some inherint value on Tangradi, but then again Boychuk'c speed, shot and hands at least give him a prayer. If Carolina waived him without offering him around, then they need a new GM.
Yeah, I mean, I'll admit that I wanted to give Tangradi a shot. It's not hard to find my posts on the subject on this board. It's actually interesting, when the trade happened, I was very iffy about Tangradi vs. the rest of the board. Then when he was hated, I kind of took to his side a bit. That's kind of my nature I guess. But when push came to shove, he really didn't show progress at the NHL level. Could we have maybe molded something out of him? Possibly. We could have squeezed a bit of water from a stone in that regard, but whatever...it's not important really.

I'm sure Carolina offered a former first round pick around, no one wanted him because everyone had their rosters set I guess...I mean, we claimed him off waivers and we're pretty far down the waiver priority list. So, it's not like we jumped on him first...effectively, at least half the league had to pass on him for, essentially, free...

Would I trade Strait, Sneep, Tangradi and Lovejoy for Boychuk, a 5th, a 7th and a conditional 7th? In a vacuum, meh, not really...but in our organization where there's about to be an influx of d-men of high caliber...yes, yes I do. No big loss, even if one of those pieces becomes something...because it wasn't gonna happen here...
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

@The Snapshot

You'd better order one the babies, while you have the chance....
http://www.thepensblog.com/tpb/dec2011/ ... order.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by TheHammer24 »

murphydump55 wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:

Yeah, actually I agree that Tangradi was the piece and everyone had high hopes for him, but over time, I began to just accept that Kunitz was the piece we traded for and Tangradi was the throw in.

Either way, I'll take it.
I agree that trade helped us in the end.