Amateur Hockey Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Amateur Hockey Thread

Post by meow »

MRandall25 wrote:So, what would be the point of replacing my current holder? I have Easton EQ skates with the generic Easton holder, and while I don't have any problems with them or the holder, I am curious to see if Tuuks would make a difference in anything (plus, I want to get black Tuuks a la Jagr, but can't find them anywhere).
I exclusively wear Graf skates, but replace the Graf holders with Tuuk Custom+. I do this because of the steel. Tuuk steel is a little bit harder and holds a sharper edge a bit longer. I like a lot of bite in my skates, so a sharp blade suits my style better. Holders are holders, in my opinion. But the steel that goes with each holder is the big difference.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

nowadays holders are holders (pretty much) but a few years ago this wasn't the case. tuuks have pretty much always been what I will call 2 pieces, a front and a back:

CCM's used to be 3 pieces:

and Graf's are something like 5 pieces:

the big complaint about the CCMs and Grafs are that they would shatter when hit by a puck. mind you I've seen Tuuks shatter too but not nearly as much as CCMs.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

I'm fairly certain Seidenberg is the only remaining NHL player with T blades
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

MRandall25 wrote:So, what would be the point of replacing my current holder? I have Easton EQ skates with the generic Easton holder, and while I don't have any problems with them or the holder, I am curious to see if Tuuks would make a difference in anything (plus, I want to get black Tuuks a la Jagr, but can't find them anywhere).
biggest thing would be altering the pitch. tuuks put you on your toes, eastons are flat.

You should be able to find Black Tuuk LS2 holders - they're around. Jagr wears black Tuuk Custom + (you wont find those - but they're everywhere in white)
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

For the record - the only time anyone gets a differing brand of holder other than what was already on their skate, is if they're getting Tuuks. They're far and away the best made and have the preferred pitch of most players.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Is anybody doing the Adult Hockey Classic tournament that the Penguins have been promoting?
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by CERV96 »

So I get an email today from our league suggesting that we pay the reffs $10 more a game to get more quality officiating to games after 11 PM. Here is a suggestion for ya. It's not going to bring quality up cause these guys don't care to begin with. I have a better suggestion. How about cutting the teams down to reduce the amount of games after 11 PM? I loose half of my roster for weeknight games after 11 PM to begin with so raising the cost is just going to cut my roster down even more.

/rant
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

We had our first IM game.

Nothing worse than getting two breakaways, making the same move because the goalie sucks, and hitting the same post twice.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

shoeshine boy wrote:nowadays holders are holders (pretty much) but a few years ago this wasn't the case. tuuks have pretty much always been what I will call 2 pieces, a front and a back:

CCM's used to be 3 pieces:

and Graf's are something like 5 pieces:

the big complaint about the CCMs and Grafs are that they would shatter when hit by a puck. mind you I've seen Tuuks shatter too but not nearly as much as CCMs.
CCM and Graf use Canadian steel, while Tuuk uses German steel. German steel - strong like bull.
joeyg412
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by joeyg412 »

has anybody tried the mystery hockey stick pack from hockeymonkey? Just put in an order for it Friday.
champeen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by champeen »

i'm too particular to try it, but it's always tempting. let us know what you get.
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by yubb »

Same here. I'm worried I'll get a stick with a really sharp curve in the blade. I like mine flat (Henrik Zetterber curve).
joeyg412
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by joeyg412 »

I got an Easton stealth Iginla curve and a warrior diablo savard curve. Haven't seen the sticks yet, checked my order status and it told me
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Post by Godric »

I love my stamkos curve on the Bauer totalone
the errey i breathe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by the errey i breathe »

I have long debated joining a beginner ice hockey league here in Baltimore but I'm worried I'll embarrass myself with my below average skating and what I'd imagine will be awful talent level. I wish there was deck hockey around here...
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

the errey i breathe wrote:I have long debated joining a beginner ice hockey league here in Baltimore but I'm worried I'll embarrass myself with my below average skating and what I'd imagine will be awful talent level. I wish there was deck hockey around here...
I thought the same thing when I signed up for beginner Intramurals last year, and I actually was one of the better players.

Never know till you try
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by yubb »

Agreed. The hardest part is getting over not knowing anyone and the potential embarassment.

If you're that concerned see about taking skating lessons first. I'm considering this now and I've been playing for a few years now. With a solid skating foundation the stick handling and everything else will come much quicker.

And forget deck. Learn to skate. It's 100 times better than deck or inline.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

yubb wrote:
And forget deck. Learn to skate. It's 100 times better than deck or inline.
this.
the hardest part about taking up ice hockey as adult is that it's impossible to hide the fact that you suck. if it's a beginner league then everybody out there is going to have recently been in your shoes and will most likely be more than happy to help you out.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

MRandall25 wrote:
the errey i breathe wrote:I have long debated joining a beginner ice hockey league here in Baltimore but I'm worried I'll embarrass myself with my below average skating and what I'd imagine will be awful talent level. I wish there was deck hockey around here...
I thought the same thing when I signed up for beginner Intramurals last year, and I actually was one of the better players.

Never know till you try
#humblebrag
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Post by Godric »

Rylan wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:

Never know till you try
#humblebrag
Not really, being one of the players at beginner intramurals is like being the *insert stupid joke here*
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Rylan wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:

Never know till you try
#humblebrag
More of an indictment on how bad people at the beginner level are, not on my perceived skill (of which I have very little).
champeen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by champeen »

sorry for the bump, i just thought this thread had potential to be really good/ongoing and then it just sort of died out.

i'll try to rekindle with this:

do you guys play in a draft league or
one where you bring your whole team?
ours is a draft league (w/ a few 'protects' allowed) and while i enjoy playing with a lot of different guys, there is a learning curve to start every season of trying to get some chemistry going.
a buddy of mine in NY has played with the same team for like 8 years! they're able to play full-on systems. we're lucky to get a decent breakout implemented by season's end.....
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by tjand72 »

I probably need new skates, but I haven't played in about 5 years. My CCMs with the Prolite3 holders have probably seen their last days. Any suggestions as to the brand of skate/holder that will be similar? I'd rather not learn to skate all over again with a different feel since I'll have to almost learn to skate again since I've been off of the ice for so long.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

The final of the CIS University Cup goes tonight at 7:30pm EDT and will be aired on Rogers Sportsnet One. The game features the two AUS representatives - the AUS champion UNB Varsity Reds, and the runner-up Saint Mary's Huskies. UNB and Saint Mary's met 7 time through the AUS season, with UNB winning 4 of them.

Saint Mary's earned their spot with a 5-2 win over OUA runner-up Waterloo yesterday afternoon after losing their first game to the Canada West champion University of Alberta 4-3 in OT.

UNB was the only undefeated team beating the host Saskatchewan Huskies 3-1 on opening day and securing their spot with a dominant 8-3 win over the OUA champion UQTR Patriotes.

I believe the game will also be webcast on http://cis-sic.tv/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
champeen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by champeen »

tjand72 wrote:I probably need new skates, but I haven't played in about 5 years. My CCMs with the Prolite3 holders have probably seen their last days. Any suggestions as to the brand of skate/holder that will be similar? I'd rather not learn to skate all over again with a different feel since I'll have to almost learn to skate again since I've been off of the ice for so long.
i'm a bauer guy when it comes to skates, but i'm pretty sure the ccm e-pro holder is a similar pitch/feel to the Prolite3, but a bit stiffer. i do know that ccm replacement steel will fit in both, so they must have some similarities. reebok uses the same holder, so i would recommend trying on both brands and go with the best overall fit.