Any feedback on Staal?

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Any feedback on Staal?

Post by MarioLives »

Hi, I was curious if anyone has caught any of Jordan's play this year? Just curious how he is doing in Carolina? I liked him as a Pen and hope he does well. Any Carolina fans out there that can comment?

Thanks
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Any feedback on Staal?

Post by Idoit40fans »

In the game I watched he was present. I honestly can't say much more about it.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ffemtreed »

Living in NC i been following the canes a bit and his play is pretty much what we saw of him here in Pitt. I don't think he quite blended into the team yet or found his role. He has mostly been playing with Skinner and I seen a few nice setups. I also saw some real boneheaded moves and missed coverages that plauged him with the Pens.

Still having the same ID crisis, is he a second line playmaking canter? Is he a second line shutdown type of center? Is he a scoring Center who plays hard in front of the net? Right now he is trying to be all of them and do the PK (which he is doing an excellent job at).
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

He's been very good so far. Really using his passing skills with Skinner, playing a good two-way game. He's been one of Carolina's best players I think this year...he's still adjusting (like the rest of the team) to a new system, so there'll be bumps in the road...but generally speaking, he's been quite good...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

As a cancelled icing results in a sweet Jordan Staal goal to tie things up in the ACC...his first as a Cane.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by profpolisci »

mikey287 wrote:He's been very good so far. Really using his passing skills with Skinner, playing a good two-way game. He's been one of Carolina's best players I think this year...he's still adjusting (like the rest of the team) to a new system, so there'll be bumps in the road...but generally speaking, he's been quite good...
I'll Ok your analysis here, mikey :D
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

He's been pretty good but looked a little awkward at times also. Carolina still hasn't decided as a squad if they are going to play the North-South uptempo style Maurice had there or buy-in to Kirk McLean's more restrained system after he took over. They give up a LOT of quality scoring chances still and while adding loads of offense with a Semin seemed to balanced that with adding J Staal, but it's hard to see if they have changed that much from last year.

McLean had them playing pretty decent hockey down the stretch last year but they seem to be 50/50 again about which team will show up on which night. Staal isn't looking bad, but his offense hasn't been great(first goal last night after Skinner set him up perfectly) and his two-way is good but not great. Canes are a real enigma kind of team.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

He always plays well in the ACC...
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Big Easy Pens Fan »

1 goal, 10 assists. Very un-Jordan like. His goals-to-assists ratio is usually weighted the other way.

BEPF
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:1 goal, 10 assists. Very un-Jordan like. His goals-to-assists ratio is usually weighted the other way.

BEPF
He doesn't have Kennedy and Cooke as wingers anymore.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ffemtreed »

It seems he is really getting used to being that 2nd line center. He is improving with every game i watch and settling in nicely with the Canes. He is still shooting 20 ft wide of the net though......

Even better news, I get to see him live at the end of the month since I scored tickets to the Pens and Canes game in Raleigh!!!! WOOO HOOOO I Can't wait.
iWonTheCup87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by iWonTheCup87 »

he just scored tonight in the canes 3-1 win they are on fire now i think they have won 5 of the last 6 or 7 and hes playing well
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Desiato »

5g2a, -10 in his last 20 games.