The Phoenix Coyotes Soap Opera Continues

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

The Phoenix Coyotes Soap Opera Continues

Post by Tim Thomasen »

Just as everyone thought the Coyotes saga was done and the team was being sold to someone who will keep him in the desert, a new wrinkle appears as Greg Jamison is unable to meet the 1/31 deadline of giving money needed to buy the team to Glendale.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=414913" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news ... ayers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

First off I stopped paying attention to this story months ago because I thought it was a forgone conclusion that Jamison was going to complete the deal to buy the team and now after all this, the deal breaks down.

It's like the soap opera that never ends. First Balsillie and moving the team to Hamiliton, then Ice Edge, then Matthew Hulsizer was going to buy the team but was unable to do so due to local politics and now this.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: The Phoenix Coyotes Soap Opera Continues

Post by brwi »

I feel bad for the fans of the Coyotes who have been jerked around with this BS for 3 years and also the city of Glendale government who have bent over backwards to make it happen and the taxpayers. What a fiasco that never seems to end.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Post by Tim Thomasen »

brwi wrote:I feel bad for the fans of the Coyotes who have been jerked around with this BS for 3 years and also the city of Glendale government who have bent over backwards to make it happen and the taxpayers. What a fiasco that never seems to end.
Yep. When I found out this news I said to myself "You got to be kidding me?". I actually thought the deal was already done and Jamison was already owing the team, that's how much of a foregone conclusion I thought this was. I mean the guy sounded like he had a plan, he was honest and he did alot of good things as CEO of the Sharks and now it turns out he doesn't have the dough and no one really knew much about his investors.

And yes I feel bad for the fans because as a Pens fan I remember very well when he were fighting for a new arena and how much the fans were jerked abound by all the political grandstanding, posturing and the threat of the team moving and all the characters that wanted to buy the team like Balsillie, Murstein and Fingold. It's not a good feeling as a fan.

Part of me is glad it happened though just because I didn't like the arena deal and neither did the new mayor of Glendale apparently.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

In the past two weeks it has sounded like the money wasn't going to be there when the deadline came. I thought it was a foregone conclusion that he was gonna fail to come up with it.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

If the Sacremento Kings are moved to Seattle, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Coyotes follow them there.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Penspal »

I feel bad for the Coyote fans too. But this is ridiculous, move the team to a hockey market, be it Seattle, Quebec, Toronto 2, Halifax (yep, Sid's nearby hometown mayor is banging the drum, good luck).
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

So Yotes move East you then have:

NW: Van, Edm, Cal, Win, Min
Pac: LA, SJ, Anaheim, Colo, Dal
Cent: Det, Colu, Nash, Chi, StL

So SE is short a team, no way Yotes go down there, so what do you do? Philly or Pittsburgh to SE? Boston to Atl? Facilitate the panthers to move to Quebec City at the same time?

Atl: NYR, NYI, NJ, Bos, Buff
SE: Pit, Philly, Wash, Car, TB
NE: Mon, Ham, QC, Tor, Ott
penscup
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by penscup »

It's official. They are staying!

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/5 ... -long.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At least for 5 more years.

Arizona Coyotes -- Hate that name change but happy they don't have to move for now and maybe if they can put together a miracle season and win the Cup somehow over the next 5 seasons they will generate enough revenue to stay for good. I'll be rooting for them.

Wonder if they pull another uniform change...doubtful but the ones they have now suck big time.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Arizona Coyotes of Glendale
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Not saying I'm at your mom's house, not saying I'm not.

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

columbia wrote:Arizona Coyotes of Glendale
Haha. Last week when the bucs played the Angels I honestly couldn't remember what city they were claiming these days.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

Chefpatrick871 wrote:
columbia wrote:Arizona Coyotes of Glendale
Haha. Last week when the bucs played the Angels I honestly couldn't remember what city they were claiming these days.
That's because they claim ALL THE CITIES!
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Kaizer »

damn it.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

Looks like the team will be rebranded the Arizona Coyotes... like the NFL Cardnails and MLB Diamondbacks. Trying to get state wide fan support.

Actually them moving anywhere else but to Seattle would be a real mess for NHL realignmnet. Its only a 5 year lease which should give Seattle time to build a new arena so the team can relocate there. It seems like this is just a band aid for now.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Yeah next season they'll become the AZ Coyotes. If they really wanted to commit the team to the area to give the fans a chance to buy in, they would have worked out something greater than 5 years. I agree that this is just a band-aid and they'll probably end up in Seattle or something real soon.