Where my fellow cooks at???

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Post by columbia »

I'd like to find a guide for cooking various types of fish (that allows for thickness).
I feel like I'm always just guessing and I like to error on NOT overcooking it.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

From the not cooking, but assembling ingredients department:

I picked up some "carnegie deli pastrami" from the freezer section and made a sandwich with Goddess Dressing, swiss cheese, sauerkraut and stacked on a very fresh baguette.

It was completely delicious.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

If you're going to make a pan screaming hot (for scallops, lets say), what oil do you use? Olive has such a crappy low smoke point. And the high ones are too flavorful for good meat, no? Maybe canola for this task?
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

shmenguin wrote:If you're going to make a pan screaming hot (for scallops, lets say), what oil do you use? Olive has such a crappy low smoke point. And the high ones are too flavorful for good meat, no? Maybe canola for this task?
Grapeseed oil
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Serious question, how often do you guys that cook ITT go grocery shopping?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Found a new awesome cooking show today.

The Mind of a Chef, presented by Anthony Bourdain, David Chang and Harold McGhee. These guys are basically the team behind the magazine The Lucky Peach, and the first several episodes have mirrored the first few issues of the periodical. It's a fantastic 30 minute program that combines travel to awesome food places (like Tokyo or San Sebastian) coupled with kitchen stand-and-stir demos by the Changmeister himself.

This has been a good couple of days for me in terms of food education! :fist:
viva la ben wrote:
shmenguin wrote:If you're going to make a pan screaming hot (for scallops, lets say), what oil do you use? Olive has such a crappy low smoke point. And the high ones are too flavorful for good meat, no? Maybe canola for this task?
Grapeseed oil
FTW. Grapeseed or safflower oil is the way to go for super high heat sauteeing or grilling. They have the highest smoke points (480F+) and are both flavorless. Canola oil smokes only a few degrees higher than EVOO (like maybe 10 or so), so it doesn't really get you much.
mac5155 wrote:Serious question, how often do you guys that cook ITT go grocery shopping?
I pretty much shop meal to meal. Sure, I buy staples and pantry items in bulk; it's not uncommon for me to buy 3-4 bottles of EVOO on one trip, for example, or a bunch of different types of dried chiles.... maybe I'll get half a dozen shallots at one time. But when I shop, generally I'm only looking to buy the ingredients I need to make dinner that night. And as often as not when I get to the market I have to alter what I wanted to make to accommodate what the store had that was the quality I look for.

I'm lucky in that I live in southern California within 200 miles of some of the best farm land in the country, and we have a growing season that's pretty close to being year-round. So I can get locally-grown artichokes in November, for example. But this is where farmers markets are such a godsend. I have a Google calendar of all the FMs local to my home and office, and so I can hit those up on my lunch break or on the weekends or whatever. It's so much cheaper and the quality is so much better and more flavorful than what you can get even from a high-end grocer like Whole Foods or Bristol Farms.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

SO have you gotten your groove back?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

I think so.... I had two nights in a row where I cooked well (see earlier post), so we'll see if I can sustain that.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Post by Godric »

So I ate at Flemming's Steak House tonight for my 21st Birthday dinner.

Really really good steak, but when it comes to everything else - I was not impressed
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

tifosi77 wrote:
mac5155 wrote:Serious question, how often do you guys that cook ITT go grocery shopping?
I pretty much shop meal to meal. Sure, I buy staples and pantry items in bulk; it's not uncommon for me to buy 3-4 bottles of EVOO on one trip, for example, or a bunch of different types of dried chiles.... maybe I'll get half a dozen shallots at one time. But when I shop, generally I'm only looking to buy the ingredients I need to make dinner that night. And as often as not when I get to the market I have to alter what I wanted to make to accommodate what the store had that was the quality I look for.

I'm lucky in that I live in southern California within 200 miles of some of the best farm land in the country, and we have a growing season that's pretty close to being year-round. So I can get locally-grown artichokes in November, for example. But this is where farmers markets are such a godsend. I have a Google calendar of all the FMs local to my home and office, and so I can hit those up on my lunch break or on the weekends or whatever. It's so much cheaper and the quality is so much better and more flavorful than what you can get even from a high-end grocer like Whole Foods or Bristol Farms.
Kind of what I figured, but I have hardly any time to do that. We usually grocery shop 1 time a month or so.. and by the end of the month, we're eating out a lot. I can never plan that far ahead of what i want to cook so i end up just doing the usual easy dishes.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

i do once a week for staple items and 2-3 times a week on perishables (peppers, mushrooms, etc). also, every time i go i stroll through the meats and check for discounted items that need to be sold that day and ill scoop them up and freeze them. you can some pretty substantial discounts on pork and beef that way.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

do you go to giant eagle?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

mac5155 wrote:do you go to giant eagle?
giant eagle and cox's in monongahela.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I work so close to the market district that I should want to shop there but it's always so busy.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

mac5155 wrote:I work so close to the market district that I should want to shop there but it's always so busy.
its worth the kerfuffle.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Ok, so I have a question about onions here... as of late, it seems like every time I buy an onion from Giant Eagle, when I go to chop them, there seems to be a thin layer of "skin" (for lack of a better term) on the bottom of each layer which starts coming loose and makes for dangerous cutting since the layers don't want to stay together. I have been chopping onions for years without ever noticing this... anyone else ever experience this or have any idea WTF is up?
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

we have to go to whole foods for most of our groceries because of my wife's dietary restrictions - for instance, there's literally no other place that we know of that sells bread products without soy in them. so we'll go once a month or so and load up on bread and meat, and then stick it in our freezer until we run out. my last bill from them was epic. aside from that, we do small shopping one or two times a week to pick up produce and whatnot.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/07/the- ... -home.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Chick-Fil-A uses pickle juice as their brine.
true?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

i think they used to.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

I keep a pretty healthy stock of pantry staples and fresh produce for snacks (carrots, celery, etc). Meat I'll usually buy a few days worth at a time, produce and fish, it's normally a day to day thing. I live 5 minutes from the Giant Eagle Market District so it's never an issue. It's awesome.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

Dinner tonight: Marinated and slow roasted deer tenderloin with mushroom risotto and mushroom gravy. Grilled asparagus with balsamic reduction to round it out.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

For Super Bowl, I was nominated to bring smoked chicken legs and wings. Brine early Sunday AM, a little poultry dry rub on all, smoke with peach and apple wood, spritz 1/3 with apple cider, baste 1/3 with a fiery habanero and honey BBQ sauce, and baste the last ones with hoisan sauce.

The place where we are going the guy cooks his wings in the oven and they are always greasy wings of nasty.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

I'm making jambalaya for SB Sunday, but I also want to make some chicken wings. I'm thinking of doing a mash up of Michael Voltaggio's boneless wings from Top Chef (braised in cream an chicken stock), and José Andrés' wings (sauteed in bread crumbs with herbs).

Anyone ever make their own hot sauce? I've made a mango-habanero hot sauce before, and that's super tasty, but I want something more akin to a Louisiana hot-garlic sauce.